The Political divide

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
Lots of people now are talking about the rift between the left and the right in this country. Especially since the idiot Jathy Griffin did her thing recently.

But is it just in the political arena or is it a much larger problem?

I was arguing on Facebook about disciplining children. I'm for spanking them. The opponents to spanking got so vehement, so disproportionately angry that they started sending me IMs that Facebook had to sensor. Unfortunately they did because I would have loved to read them.

I realized that this kind of anger permeates all discussion. Try arguing any other thing that isn't political, like 9-11, or UFOs, and you will find the same thing.

I'm no psychiatrist or sociologist so I have no theories but I think that it runs deeper than left vs right.

Thoughts?

wdnspn.jpg

and proud of it

I'm no psychiatrist or sociologist so I have no theories but I think that it runs deeper than left vs right.
Yes, I think there is one thing that runs even deeper than the Left vs. Right dynamic, and that's an underlying and growing narcissism that now permeates our society and culture. It's that narcissism that drives people on the ends of the spectrum to be less and less interested in even exposing themselves to contrary thought, let alone being willing to communicate with those who dare to disagree with them.

Further, it's that shared narcissism that motivates people on the opposite ends of the spectrum to behave so similarly in so many ways.

The Selfie Generation is about far more than kids goofing around on Facebook and Instagram.

Last edited:
PredFan, only people who want a divided country, such as you, are worrying about a "political divide."

There is always a political and cultural and social and religious and class series of divisions.

We get over them, and we will put your ilk behind us as we always have done.

Lots of people now are talking about the rift between the left and the right in this country. Especially since the idiot Jathy Griffin did her thing recently.

I was arguing on Facebook about disciplining children. I'm for spanking them. The opponents to spanking got so vehement, so disproportionately angry that they started sending me IMs that Facebook had to sensor. Unfortunately they did because I would have loved to read them.

I realized that this kind of anger permeates all discussion. Try arguing any other thing that isn't political, like 9-11, or UFOs, and you will find the same thing.

Thoughts?

It may have a lot to do with the way people communicate today. Have you noticed the same sort of increase in extreme divisiveness in face-to-face communication?

It is much deeper than just politics, and it's not going to change until a good deal of the current population dies off.

Thoughts?

It may have a lot to do with the way people communicate today. Have you noticed the same sort of increase in extreme divisiveness in face-to-face communication?

Good point.

Thoughts?

On the political front it seemed like much more got done before this divide. I don't understand those who are a part of it.

Thoughts?

Only occasionally. Most people don't want to have any controversial discussions face to face.

Forum List

Back