The policies in Broward county that allowed the shooter to kill 17 students...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Here you go, the interview with Michael Knowles where he discusses a report on the failures of the school district to deal with violent students...

I worked in the County and I only know how the Baker Act was used many years ago. When it was passed, it left the decision up to Doctors, and several officials to use the Act to remove those people who endangered themselves or others. The Officials who could use that Law were Deputy Sheriff's. From the News that I can find the shooter should have been taken off the streets a long time ago. What happened I have not idea, but it could have been restricted by the Sheriff's dept, or someone. If the Sheriff did it he is responsible, if it was other officials then they are responsible. I have heard from the Department grapevine that Micro Management is a problem. The Old time Department each Lawman was responsible for his action taken on duty and off duty and you had better have a good reason for taking any action on duty. This encluded the use of force in an arrest. If you had to restrain a person he was considered "Under Arrest" and was jailed. Anytime you had a crime scene it was required to secure it and assist anyone injured.

It seems like the resource officer was on the scene from the start and should have been more active in stopping the killings. The investigation, I hope, tell the true story of the shootings. I could have been stopped by taking this Nut Job off the street, and that is the bottom line.
parkland shooter.jpg

Forum List

Back