The police sure have strange priorities...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmdr Sheppard

Rookie
Mar 6, 2011
Someone posted this on the Steam Powered Users Forum, and it must be shared. Apparently the police have taken a fancy to stealing people's basketball poles at 8:00 AM in the morning, and then lying to the people about taking them. Enjoy and discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to need more info on this. I have a few questions as to why they were taking people's property.

Was it a city ordinance for people to not have basket ball goals up where kids and/or adults had to use the streets in order to play? If this is the case then it is confiscating the property and is legal.

Besides that, the police CAN lie to you in order to get what they want. There is no law stating that they can not lie to you. This is how they interrogate criminals to get confessions. I never take a police officer's word for anything.

This guy should have gotten an attorney out there before he even moved his vehicle.

Here is what I have found on the 'Clear Zone' Law:

§ 525. Maintenance of clear zones within rights-of-way.

(a) The Department is authorized to maintain clear zones within the rights-of-way under its jurisdiction. In maintaining these clear zones, the Department shall have the immediate authority to remove artificial obstructions placed therein, including, but not limited to, nonofficial signs, poles, mailboxes not placed in conformance with Departmental regulation, or other hazards to safe passage. In removing artificial obstructions, the Department shall attempt to determine the owner of the obstruction and provide written notice and an opportunity for the owner to recover the obstruction after its removal. The Department shall also have the immediate authority to remove or trim vegetation growing within these rights-of-way.

(b) As used in this chapter, the term "clear zone" has the following meanings:

(1) For all roads except those described in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the term includes the total roadside border area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for a distance of 10 feet perpendicular to the pavement edge.

(2) For all interior streets within residential subdivisions, the term includes the total roadside border area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for the shorter distance of either:

a. Seven feet perpendicular to the pavement edge, or

b. If there is a sidewalk adjacent to the street, the sidewalk edge further from the street.

(3) The total area within the median strips between traveled ways or on any channelization islands, except as permitted by § 1108(d) of this title.

(c) The owner of any obstruction removed pursuant to this section shall be liable for a civil fine of $25 for each item so removed, payable to the Department. Justices of the Peace shall have original jurisdiction for any court proceedings relating to this fine. No owner of any such obstruction shall be entitled to the return of any removed obstruction without proof of payment of all outstanding fines.

(d) Recovery by the owner of any artificial obstruction removed by the Department under this section shall be subject to the payment of a $15 recovery fee per obstruction. If the owner does not pay the fee and recover the obstruction within 30 days of its removal, the Department shall dispose of the obstruction in the exercise of its reasonable discretion. The Department may also take such legal steps as it deems necessary and proper to collect these recovery fees, including but not limited to a debt action in the courts of this State.

CHAPTER 5. HIGHWAYS, ROADS AND BRIDGES GENERALLY

The officer failed to explain the bolded part of the law to the owner. However, if the owner was sent a copy of the law beforehand, he would have known she was lying when she said they would leave it.

Now I am not saying that I agree with this law, but it is the law and it was legal for them to take the goal. What I have read, this was not extend into the subdivisions when it came into law. However, sense then, it has and that is why they were there.

Personally, I think this law is just one way for the state to make money. I also read that sense the law came into effect that it has cost a lot more than expected to remove the signs on the highways where they could not fine anyone due to not knowing who put the signs up. So what I am gathering, they had to extend it to other objects and other areas so they can fine the owners of the objects.

He should have left the car there, they cannot arrest him for parking on in front of his house, nor can they tow the car unless a sign is posted declaring it to be a tow zone. If it blocks their access to something they want to do, tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back