The Plutocrats Who Destroy Everything

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Last year the Occupy movement brought the subject of inequality into public debate, and especially the inequality between those of us in the 99 per cent and the happy few in the one per cent. But Chrystia Freeland has been studying the happy few for years, and has spent many hours talking with some of their most famous and powerful members.

The result is a book full of surprises and insights. Today's plutocrats are the latest variation on an old theme, and at the same time they're strikingly new in many ways.

Societies have supported plutocratic classes at least since ancient Rome, and the Gilded Age of the US after the Civil War presaged our own: A rising class of self-made men, imaginative exploiters of new technology and wider trade. Then it was the telegraph and the railroad; now it's the internet and the container ship.

Forum copyright policy, to be found HERE, prohibits posting of pieces in their entirety.

~Oddball

Life Among the Plutocrats -- What Unimaginable Wealth Does to a Person | Alternet

Last year the Occupy movement brought the subject of inequality into public debate, and especially the inequality between those of us in the 99 per cent and the happy few in the one per cent. But Chrystia Freeland has been studying the happy few for years, and has spent many hours talking with some of their most famous and powerful members.

The result is a book full of surprises and insights. Today's plutocrats are the latest variation on an old theme, and at the same time they're strikingly new in many ways.

Societies have supported plutocratic classes at least since ancient Rome, and the Gilded Age of the US after the Civil War presaged our own: A rising class of self-made men, imaginative exploiters of new technology and wider trade. Then it was the telegraph and the railroad; now it's the internet and the container ship.

Forum copyright policy, to be found HERE, prohibits posting of pieces in their entirety.

~Oddball

Life Among the Plutocrats -- What Unimaginable Wealth Does to a Person | Alternet
Right. And the plutocrats have funded a very aggressive campaign to defend the plutocrat, and economic policies that support them. And, here on this board, you will find the conservative tools, many paid to be so, that have the talking points to post. Sad, sad thing. But, unfortunately, here is the epicenter of the conservative tool.

I will pick up a copy of this book. Looks very interesting. I have read others over the years.

But, as it has always been, it is VERY difficult to overcome the wealth and spending ability of the plutocrats. And though it will end our leading position as an economic power, we will probably go down the tube unable to stop the force of the plutocrats. That is how it has worked so far, in our worlds history. Great income and wealth disparity is generally one of the final indicators that it is over. And we hand the torch to China, or India, or whomever.

In my opinion, the social movement, such as the occupy movement, is our last best hope. Which is why I keep posting away, hoping to change a mind or two. But the tools posting on this board are many. not smart, but with a lot of information from the con sites. The great conservative machine. And they keep pounding away, with NO understanding that they are pushing this country, this economy, to its brink.

~Oddball

Right. And the plutocrats have funded a very aggressive campaign to defend the plutocrat, and economic policies that support them. And, here on this board, you will find the conservative tools, many paid to be so, that have the talking points to post. Sad, sad thing. But, unfortunately, here is the epicenter of the conservative tool.

I will pick up a copy of this book. Looks very interesting. I have read others over the years.

But, as it has always been, it is VERY difficult to overcome the wealth and spending ability of the plutocrats. And though it will end our leading position as an economic power, we will probably go down the tube unable to stop the force of the plutocrats. That is how it has worked so far, in our worlds history. Great income and wealth disparity is generally one of the final indicators that it is over. And we hand the torch to China, or India, or whomever.

In my opinion, the social movement, such as the occupy movement, is our last best hope. Which is why I keep posting away, hoping to change a mind or two. But the tools posting on this board are many. not smart, but with a lot of information from the con sites. The great conservative machine. And they keep pounding away, with NO understanding that they are pushing this country, this economy, to its brink.

Yes I've noticed a lot of right wingers posting away, but topics like this by the lack of responses shows me they have no talking points to counter. But if I posted this article and then slanted it along racial divides, they would be posting like flies on shit.

But straight up truth like this throws them for a loop.

A rising class of self-made men, imaginative exploiters of new technology and wider trade. Then it was the telegraph and the railroad; now it's the internet and the container ship.

so are you saying we'd be better off if Republicans had not invented and supplied to us the telegraph railroad internet and container ship? This seems so incredibly stupid that only a liberal could think it.

Forum List

Back