The Phony Fracas

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by NATO AIR, Feb 26, 2006.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Its a shame we can't recall senators and represenatives... Bill Frist and his other opportunists should be immediately replaced.

Another conservative national security writer comes out and tells the truth you won't hear in the MSM and among the GOP leaders who are "demanding consultations and review" over a routine deal that has been going on for a decade in this country.

The UAE is our strongest ally in the Middle East next to Israel.

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Keep the truth pouring in !! I once heard that repetition is the mother of learning.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The UAE may very-well be our best ally in the ME, next to Israel. That does not negate the fact that UAE also is one of the prime breeding grounds for terrorists.

The fact is, I want to see one of these legislators propose something that will change the outcome. Let's see what our choices are ....

Compel a US corporation to assume the bid? Unconsitutional.

Nationalize our ports? Unconstitutional.

I have NO problem with reviewing the deal, but WHAT exactly do they think they are going to accomplish if they don't like the results of the review?

Maybe they should have thought about that BEFORE they let our National assets be sold off to foreign interests to begin with.

4. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Let the deal go through, keep close tabs on any and all questionable activities.

In the long run, make US businesses, especially our ports, competitive again. (see the post in politics forum relating to this). Develop our talent.

The UAE is much like Singapore or Hong Kong, kind of an "anything goes" business environment that allows for trade and development to prosper. Also notable of all three of these island hubs is the incredible skill and power of their intelligence, military and police services.

Until I see evidence that shows otherwise, I don't see how the UAE is a prime breeding ground for terrorists. I think you'd find far more terrorist types in London, Gaza, Baghdad, Saudi, Yemen, Pakistan and Syria.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Try looking at your local 2's Threat Assessment for UAE. Unless it's dropped from where it was during most of the 90s, the terrorist threat is high there, and whenever we pulled into port for maintenance we were discouraged from leaving the compound. So much so that MWR sold "Beer on the Pier" for a buck a can, and there were concessions about the size of a carnival so the local capitalists could have a shot at our money. That was as late as 99.

I don't think they were trying to protect us from those ugly-ass black flies. ;)

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282

I believe its changed since 9/11. Sailors make port calls every month in UAE (at least Dubai). Indeed, I believe our Sea Swap program has Dubai as the ME hub, with Singapore as the Pacific hub and San Diego the home base (SEA SWAP is where a ship stays deployed for say, 15-24 months at a time, but the crews switch off, much like subs do). I never felt threatened in Dubai, and I know the security services don't take any shit from anybody, so if someone's up for trouble with us, they're likely getting it before they get us.

There's bad guys everywhere we go. They've got fundamentalists in Sydney and Perth now so even when we have a port visit there, we're always running the risk of being recalled because some imam said something dumb or threatening.

I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but you know the most dangerous port for me is Pusan/Busan. The level of anti-American fantaticism among the students and others there is just galling, you feel the tension as soon as you leave the ship. Even on my two port calls in the Gulf, I never felt anything close to that. And you can't rely on the cops, they claim "no english" and stand by as people pelt you with trash, make threats and cause a ruckus whenever we dare venture beyond Texas Street or a tourist site/hotel.

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    This deal is bullshit nato. But it will go through. Our leaders are selling us out.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Spoken like a true lib--time to switch to LWA :teeth:

9. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    NATO AIR states:

I agree, but would only add, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC, and many other cities in our great country.

Terrorists are NOT just found in the middle east.

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Yet it's still true that no Government of A questionable Nation should operate our ports. I KNOW they have all these petrodollars to spend, and I know paper currency is meaningless. I'm just not worried about the UAE's economic future as much as I am about our basic security. I guess I'm selfish.