The Phantom's 14 Easy Steps to Economic Recovery

The US is merely following along the timeline of the aftermath of a massive housing bubble.

a recession occurs while the Republican free market is reallocating resources, that liberals misallocated, to their proper places. The timeline has always been slowed by liberals who keep interfering out of a lack of intelligence.

Last edited:
The market creates the most wealth for most of the people, most of the time. It does not create all the wealth for all the people, all of the time.

who said it did? A liberal doesn't fool anyone by completely changing the subject when he has lost a debate

The market creates the most wealth for most of the people, most of the time. It does not create all the wealth for all the people, all of the time.

who said it did? A liberal doesn't fool anyone by completely changing the subject when he has lost a debate

You probably should have stayed in school.

who said it did? why change the subject whenever you lose? How will you learn?

You probably should have stayed in school.

who said it did? why change the subject whenever you lose? How will you learn?

Dude, I'm sure you thought it was fine, but I'm not interested in learning by listening to talk radio and reading bumper stickers.

Dude, I'm sure you thought it was fine, but I'm not interested in learning by listening to talk radio and reading bumper stickers.

If I've said anything that was not perfectly consistent with Rush Limbaugh or Milton Friedman please say exactly what is was or admit you lost yet another point. Thank you.

My take, if anyone cares:

1) Repeal Obamacare

gotta replace it with something better

2) Reform (not completely eliminate) government regulations on business

gotta be effective and enforced with stiffer penalties for transgressors

3) Reduce the corporate tax to a competitive rate and overhaul the personal tax code.

overhaul the business tax code too, no more bs where GE pays nothing

4) Suspend the collective bargaining rights for public sector unions.

never should've had those rights in the first place for compensation and benefits

5) Allow the repatriation of foreign funds on the condition that a significant portion of it is invested in American business.

We're the only country that taxes foreign earnings tht are brought back home. That's ridiculous, we're only helping our competition.

6) Impose penalties on the imports of foreign nations that refuse to honor our free trade agreements.

bad idea, there are better ways to deal with this.

7) Offer tax breaks for small businesses that hire and for major companies that build new manufacturing plants in the United States.

another bad idea, we don't need to subsidize anybody. If we make America a good place to do business then we don't need to bribe anyone.

8) Allow home and student loan refinancing for those who actually need it combined with banking regulations that prohibit bundling and generally playing roulette with money the banks don't have.

you can refinance all you want to, if the bank is agreeable. But the federal gov't should play no part at all in either case.

9) Pull the business licenses of companies who hire illegal immigrants.

nah, fine 'em big time. we need the money

10) Secure the damn border and deport illegal immigrants.

you realize how long it would take and how much it would cost to deport 12 million illegals? If the GOP does that their party is dead. D.E.A.D.

11) Embark on aggressive drilling and conservation.

You bet your ass.

12) Invest in supplemental sources of alternate energy (wind, geothermal, tidal, etc), nuclear energy (especially), and ease restrictions on the production of primary and alternate sources of fossil fuels including shale oil.

If you mean fund research, fine. If you mean more Solyndras, screw that. I wouldn't ease restrictions without good reason, our water and air need to be clean. If the restrictions are BS, fine, but we don't need major pollution problems right now.

13) Make members of Congress subject to insider trading laws and strengthen laws against government corruption that include real jail time instead of censures.

I'm good with that. We need to get tougher with any kind of corruption IMHO.

14) Make all of the above permanent for a minimum of 7-10 years.

Uh uh. We need to roll with the times, and if changes are needed sooner then do it.

My 15th rule: I don't care who you are, how big or how important, or how connected, there will be no bailouts for anybody, including states and cities. Maybe we should set up special courts to deal with those cases where the impact on the nation is significant.

My 16th rule: every time we increase the debt ceiling we have to either cut spending or raise taxes by a 2 to 1 ratio.

My 17th rule: privatize those gov't functions that can be privatized. Like the post office.

My 18th rule: every gov't function should get scrutinized. If it can be done at the state or local level, do so. I see no reason why education, HHS, or HUD should be done at the federal level, other than perhaps for informational purposes. Get rid of duplicate or obsolete functions, I bet we could save a trillion bucks over 10 years just streamlining gov't.

My take, if anyone cares:

1) Repeal Obamacare

gotta replace it with something better

Republican intellectuals want to replace it with capitalism. You see, if we had published prices and 300 million consumers shopping with, mostly, their own money the cost would be only 30% of what it is now and the quality would be far superior.

Liberals simple lack the ability to understand capitalism

If I've said anything that was not perfectly consistent with Rush Limbaugh or Milton Friedman please say exactly what is was or admit you lost yet another point. Thank you.

:lol:

You probably think that's clever.

ok I apologize for the delay in response as I have been distracted by other stuff. Let me address this post and I will work backwards

Depends what it is. If its a bridge to nowhere, sure. If it is to pave a road we paved five years ago, OK. But ALL infrastructure eventually needs to be replaced. It's no different than a business re-investing in it's plant and equipment to account for depreciation. So we should be spending more on infrastructure when the economy is weak, then cut it back when the economy is strong.

In principle that's a very popular view among many economists, yes, and it's not that I have an issue with investing in infrastructure. It's that we were supposed to be doing that, at least in part, with Stimulus 1.0 and we got a whole lot of nothing. Up here in Portland we have some beautiful new artwork in city parks, In Washington, Mt. St. Helens Observatory has gorgeous new windows that cost thousands of dollars even though it's been closed for years and is scheduled for demolition. What roads got built? A lot were on Indian lands. Ok...look. I have a great respect for Native American people, culture, and history, but how the hell does building residential roads on Indian reservations improve the speed and efficiency by which goods are transported around this nation? Well it doesn't. If we are going to invest in infrastructure it needs to be projects that enhance business (i.e. high speed cargo rail, improved trucking routes, etc).

Regardless, that won't solve unemployment. It will give some people jobs and it will improve infrastructure but it won't get us out of the recession.

The underlying problem is that we have too many homes and too much debt. We created an asset bubble which collapsed. This is a "balance sheet recession," unlike the typical recessions in the last century from WWII onward. (The recession in 2001 was a balance sheet recession as well with the collapse of the Tech Bubble.)

People mistake the existence of excess cash on corporate America's balance sheet as symptomatic of the lack of demand or confidence or whatever. This isn't true. A balance sheet recession by its nature is highly deflationary. When asset prices collapse, either the stock of debt will collapse or government steps in to absorb that debt to avoid a depression. IOW, the balance sheet of the private sector is transferred to the public sector. Debt for the government balloons and the balance sheets of corporations and individuals expands. This MUST happen if the stock of debt is unchanged, i.e. absorbed by the government. So savings shoot way up for individuals and businesses while the government runs massive deficits. It happened in Japan and it is now happening here.

Yes I understand all this. That's what TARP was all about and I supported bailing out the banks even though it pissed me off. However, that was years ago....the money should be moving by now and it's not. I understand we have an excess of housing assets that are problematic, but how do you reduce the supply of housing? You either destroy them which in turn destroys balance sheet assets, or you get people living in them and paying regularly on their mortgage. That won't happen until people are confident in their employment situation.

There have been several econometric studies which have concluded that illegal aliens are a net benefit to the economy despite whatever they may cost the social welfare system. Even if you question that, it will raise the cost of doing business as it will raise the cost of labour.

For every study you show me about how great illegal immigration is for the economy I can show you one about how bad it is for the economy. Illegal immigration has become politicized to such a degree that most analyses are little more than spin doctoring the numbers one way or the other to produce an intended result according to that political agenda. This is a phenomenon is all too common in our society and it happens in a multitude of hot button issues (which I will not name for fear of tossing a grenade in the room).

Now let me address this in sections. First, the argument that illegals do the jobs American won't do is flat out horseshit. When Arizona's immigration laws were passed and farmers had to get rid of illegal labor they were surprised that there were puh-lenty of American citizens lining up to take those jobs and given the unemployment rate that is far more the case now than when I lived in Arizona. Just this summer the Oregon State Fair was advertising for 300 minimum-wage jobs that lasted ten days long. I figured it would be a great job for my teenage daughter. They said they would start taking applications at 9:00 AM on a Monday. I showed up with my daughter at 8:00 AM. There were people camped out in tents to be in line....men and women in business suits standing there trying to get a position at the food court..fights were breaking out to get to the front of the line. The newspaper said over 1,000 people had shown up, some from as far away as Seattle, and they started lining up on Saturday. Trust me....Americans will take those jobs.

Now you raise a very good point about increasing the price of labor and as I pointed out in a different thread, that will lead to price increases across the board. That's why it's vital to accompany this with decreased financial demands for business by reducing their tax burden and the cost burden that comes as a result of excessive regulations and government red tape.

And no, cracking down on insider trading in Congress will have zero affect on the economy, even if it is the proper thing to do. I can promise you, no business leader is thinking "Congressmen are benefiting themselves to the tune of $50,000 a year using their position of influence. Therefore, I'm not going to invest $100 million in a plant."

Agreed...but here's what does happen. When members of Congress are getting paid off by...oh say...Fannie & Freddie or Countrywide they have a tendency to do things like oppose policy that is in the best interests of the economy in favor of policy that is in the best interests of those institutions and hence themselves. They also have a tendency to do things like the following "hypothetical" scenario:

Take a "hypothetical" Senator from Nevada...let's call him Harold Redd. Now he argues that tourism to Laughlin, Nevada is negatively impacted by a crappy two lane highway that Arizonans must take to reach Laughlin. Instead they take the interstate which goes through Las Vegas and why bother going to Laughlin if you are going through Vegas anyhow? So he attaches an earmark to a bill that...oh gives free lunches to the poor...and that earmark sets aside massive sums of money for a new interstate that will run from Arizona directly to Laughlin. Now to make sure that the property owners will sell he proposes offing those owners a price that is incredibly above value. It passes....and guess who they discover owns all that property? Why it's Senator Redd who bought the property at below market value just before the legislation went through. What this criminal has done is effectively laundered millions of taxpayer dollars into his own pocket. That's money that could be spent on other incentives and programs that will help the economy but has instead been grabbed by a corrupt politician.

Last edited:
Wrong again.

Nobody said there was never a lack of demand nor recessions.

You said, as long as magical liberals can intervene there will never be a lack of demand. I said, typical magical liberal thinking.

Government programs mitigate recessions by replacing lost income and supporting demand. .

They can replace income only by stealing it from someone else, unless you really do believe they do it with magic?

They support demand in one place by taxing it away in another unless you really do believe they do it with magic.

The liberal reduces income and demand by privately stealing, taxing, borrowing, and inflating, but wins votes from blind and ignorant liberals by spending the ill gotten gains very publicly.

Its sort of like a Mafioso who lives in a mansion trying to impress his neighbors with gold chains and white Cadillacs all the while hiding the source of his wealth.

Now you know how liberals stay in power and how they prolonged the Great Depression for 10 years.

Wrong again.

Nobody said there was never a lack of demand nor recessions.

You said, as long as magical liberals can intervene there will never be a lack of demand. I said, typical magical liberal thinking.

Government programs mitigate recessions by replacing lost income and supporting demand. .

They can replace income only by stealing it from someone else, unless you really do believe they do it with magic?

They support demand in one place by taxing it away in another unless you really do believe they do it with magic.

The liberal reduces income and demand by privately stealing, taxing, borrowing, and inflating, but wins votes from blind and ignorant liberals by spending the ill gotten gains very publicly.

Its sort of like a Mafioso who lives in a mansion trying to impress his neighbors with gold chains and white Cadillacs all the while hiding the source of his wealth.

Now you know how liberals stay in power and how they prolonged the Great Depression for 10 years.

Are Edward and Brutus the same person? Their posting style is exactly the same - broad and often unsubstantiated bromides one could write on a bumper sticker, which has been Brutus's schtick all along.

There have been several econometric studies which have concluded that illegal aliens are a net benefit to the economy despite whatever they may cost the social welfare system. Even if you question that, it will raise the cost of doing business as it will raise the cost of labour.

For every study you show me about how great illegal immigration is for the economy I can show you one about how bad it is for the economy. Illegal immigration has become politicized to such a degree that most analyses are little more than spin doctoring the numbers one way or the other to produce an intended result according to that political agenda. This is a phenomenon is all too common in our society and it happens in a multitude of hot button issues (which I will not name for fear of tossing a grenade in the room).

Now let me address this in sections. First, the argument that illegals do the jobs American won't do is flat out horseshit. When Arizona's immigration laws were passed and farmers had to get rid of illegal labor they were surprised that there were puh-lenty of American citizens lining up to take those jobs and given the unemployment rate that is far more the case now than when I lived in Arizona. Just this summer the Oregon State Fair was advertising for 300 minimum-wage jobs that lasted ten days long. I figured it would be a great job for my teenage daughter. They said they would start taking applications at 9:00 AM on a Monday. I showed up with my daughter at 8:00 AM. There were people camped out in tents to be in line....men and women in business suits standing there trying to get a position at the food court..fights were breaking out to get to the front of the line. The newspaper said over 1,000 people had shown up, some from as far away as Seattle, and they started lining up on Saturday. Trust me....Americans will take those jobs.

Now you raise a very good point about increasing the price of labor and as I pointed out in a different thread, that will lead to price increases across the board. That's why it's vital to accompany this with decreased financial demands for business by reducing their tax burden and the cost burden that comes as a result of excessive regulations and government red tape.

And no, cracking down on insider trading in Congress will have zero affect on the economy, even if it is the proper thing to do. I can promise you, no business leader is thinking "Congressmen are benefiting themselves to the tune of $50,000 a year using their position of influence. Therefore, I'm not going to invest $100 million in a plant."

Agreed...but here's what does happen. When members of Congress are getting paid off by...oh say...Fannie & Freddie or Countrywide they have a tendency to do things like oppose policy that is in the best interests of the economy in favor of policy that is in the best interests of those institutions and hence themselves. They also have a tendency to do things like the following "hypothetical" scenario:

Take a "hypothetical" Senator from Nevada...let's call him Harold Redd. Now he argues that tourism to Laughlin, Nevada is negatively impacted by a crappy two lane highway that Arizonans must take to reach Laughlin. Instead they take the interstate which goes through Las Vegas and why bother going to Laughlin if you are going through Vegas anyhow? So he attaches an earmark to a bill that...oh gives free lunches to the poor...and that earmark sets aside massive sums of money for a new interstate that will run from Arizona directly to Laughlin. Now to make sure that the property owners will sell he proposes offing those owners a price that is incredibly above value. It passes....and guess who they discover owns all that property? Why it's Senator Redd who bought the property at below market value just before the legislation went through. What this criminal has done is effectively laundered millions of taxpayer dollars into his own pocket. That's money that could be spent on other incentives and programs that will help the economy but has instead been grabbed by a corrupt politician.

I'm not arguing that corruption is a good thing. We should do what we can to stamp it out. But if the question is "What can we do to get the economy moving again?" eliminating corruption is not the answer. That's something that benefits the economy over the next 20 years but has little effect over the next 20 months.

- broad and often unsubstantiated bromides one could write on a bumper sticker, .

of course if true you would not be so afraid to point out an obvious and substantive example for the whole world to see. What does you fear tell you about liberalism?

I'm not arguing that corruption is a good thing. We should do what we can to stamp it out. But if the question is "What can we do to get the economy moving again?" eliminating corruption is not the answer. That's something that benefits the economy over the next 20 years but has little effect over the next 20 months.

Well that depends doesn't it? An argument could be made that if Chris Dodd wasn't getting paid off measures could have been taken to prevent this mess. I am of the opinion that it probably would have happened anyhow just by different means but I think the Congressional record is pretty clear that Congress was at least attempting to take preventative measures and due to corruption it was blocked. If it can happen there it can certainly happen again if the "magic remedy" is found. I personally believe those in Congress, on both sides of the aisle, do what is in their personal best interests with only a very few exceptions. They worry about the state of "the people" only when doing so is a benefit to their re-election prospects. If you believe otherwise, I respect your opinion, although I strongly question your conclusion.

Forum List

Back