The Pet problem really breaks my heart.

Allanon68 said:
Why would they leave the darn thing tied to a freaking Tree ? What are they stupid ? Animals can survive. They will find a place to nest up. But tying it to a tree ? Why dont you freaking shoot it first ? At least free the animal could swim somewhere or find someone to take the dog in. If I had to leave I would have left the front door open and the dog can make the choice. At least that way he has a chance.

You'd have to ask them that. It is likely that they believed that this dog would not survive without human intervention and believed that another family that could take him would.

Animals are 'animals'. Not people. Not children. I'm attached to my two cows..er..I mean 'cats' like nobody's business. However, should the worst happen, say, a fire at home. My first priority is to do everything humanly possible to ensure the safety of my family. Then, if there is time, AND it makes sense, worry about Michael and Bradley.

Before we had our daughter, Mike and Brad were our Kids in every way. We'd take them to church, to family events...we'd hover and dote over them. The MOMENT we brought Alaina into the house, Mike and Brad became 'cats'. We love and like and appreciate those cats...
:)

Personally, I would work toward saving humans first as well. However, I also believe that we take responsibility toward the animal when we domesticate it. There is no choice on the animal's part and they have not the capacity to understand what is happening to them.

With that responsibility, after seeing my family safely off, I would walk to a new destination rather than leave the animal behind. I take life seriously regardless of whether it is human or animal. It is central to my belief system.

Mr. P said:
Nope, cuz I didn't say the hell with the pets..It's just NOT the FIRST priority. Something we must live with and accept. Or join PETA I guess.;)

Well, as it happens, you are the one who said I have no compassion, yet I never said to hell with the people. In fact, I have already stated on this board in Bonnie's thread about the animals that we made a donation to the American Red Cross. Who do you think that money goes to? It appears that in your haste to put me down, you missed the facts.

I happen to have the ability to care about lots of things, and don't feel the need to criticize those who happen to care about something different than I do. I knew when this thread started that some people would be up in arms because people have the nerve to care about the suffering of animals. Such a shame.

no1tovote4 said:
Personally, I would work toward saving humans first as well. However, I also believe that we take responsibility toward the animal when we domesticate it. There is no choice on the animal's part and they have not the capacity to understand what is happening to them.

With that responsibility, after seeing my family safely off, I would walk to a new destination rather than leave the animal behind. I take life seriously regardless of whether it is human or animal. It is central to my belief system.

Exactly. :clap:

Bonnie said:
I can't even imagine looking into my pets innocent face and leave them there to die, they are my family and I would never do it, because it would haunt me the rest of my life and I would be in a serious depression. It would be like leaving one of my children behind. No way ever!!! To me there is always a way without resorting to that.

The good news is some are being rescued by various animal organizations that have banded together to rescue pets and take them to pet shelters to either adopt them out or reunite them with their owners. Just as they did after 9/11 and thank GOD for those groups as well as those who are rescueing people.

I agree. I woulda repped ya but I guess I don't spread it around enough....

Abbey Normal said:
Well, as it happens, you are the one who said I have no compassion, yet I never said to hell with the people. In fact, I have already stated on this board in Bonnie's thread about the animals that we made a donation to the American Red Cross. Who do you think that money goes to? It appears that in your haste to put me down, you missed the facts.

I happen to have the ability to care about lots of things, and don't feel the need to criticize those who happen to care about something different than I do. I knew when this thread started that some people would be up in arms because people have the nerve to care about the suffering of animals. Such a shame.
Nope, didn't say you had "NO" compassion, check the context...I love animals, but I'd save a human over an animal in a second. Chill, and drop it.

Mr. P said:
I agree...
Priorities...I guess human life is less of a value than animals to some.
Why does it necessarily have to be an either or proposition?
Obviously I would not risk any family member, but I would stay behind myself until I could work out a way to get my pets out as well. That's someting I would put on myself, not anyone else.

Bonnie said:
Obviously I would not risk any family member, but I would stay behind myself until I could work out a way to get my pets out as well. That's someting I would put on myself, not anyone else.

I think it was due to the fact that room was just limited---it was one or the other.I can't imagine that hanging around with 1,000 dogs cats etc would be called shelter. More like an Ark.

dilloduck said:
This is certainly the choice I would make---to ask someone else to risk the life of a family member in lieu of my pet would be something that I coud not live with either.

I agree, that's why I would make it my sole responsibility and no one else's.

dilloduck said:
I think it was due to the fact that room was just limited---it was one or the other.I can't imagine that hanging around with 1,000 dogs cats etc would be called shelter. More like an Ark.

True but animal rescue people are out there now working to rescue the animals and take them to one of the 8 shelters thay have set up , so for me it may just be a matter of waiting another day or two till they get to me, and they could take my pets who would have id on them and I would claim them later when I had a place to stay.

Bonnie said:
Hummm, Well, cuz in this case, it's a matter of life or death for many.
The point is, as far as I'm concerned, animals are LESS of a value than humans. Pets are important, but in a situation like this, NOT the priority..That's all.

Bonnie said:
I agree, that's why I would make it my sole responsibility and no one else's.

a few years back we had a fire in Grass Valley,Calif....got the kids out first...then went back for the horses...just pure and simple logic here....nothing more and nothing less.!

There is a scene in the Mahabarittah where Udistra is told that to enter heaven he must leave his dog behind, his response is somthing akin to "fuck heaven." Thought it was an appropriate passage for this thread.

Mr. P said:
Hummm, Well, cuz in this case, it's a matter of life or death for many.
The point is, as far as I'm concerned, animals are LESS of a value than humans. Pets are important, but in a situation like this, NOT the priority..That's all.

True if it absolutely comes down to someone will die than human life trumps animal life. I just think in most cases it can be avoided with a little extra work and the will. Im really not judging anyone in this situation, all Im saying is for me personally I look at my animals as my family as well and with every fibre of my being I could not leave them behind to die. It would bother me the rest of my life. I really can understand why some people don't want to leave their animals.

deaddude said:
There is a scene in the Mahabarittah where Udistra is told that to enter heaven he must leave his dog behind, his response is somthing akin to "fuck heaven." Thought it was an appropriate passage for this thread.
Yeah, it is a stupid sort a thread.. :cuckoo:

All I stated is that if it were me, I would put my family on the bus and then walk with my animal to shelter. I never stated that my animal should be allowed on the bus, I never stated that they should be allowed on the bus in place of a person. In fact, my place would be given to another. Even if I didn't have an animal, I am healthy enough to walk, I'll walk and allow for another to take my place.

Clearly the priority is on my family, however my responsibility to my animals is also of clear importance to me.

Never did I state that the animal has the priority over human life, nor did I say that they should be. I think that people are taking a remark out of context, applying more importance to it than I did, then judging me poorly because I would work to save my animals as well as my family.

Duplicate accounts are in violation of the rules - User Allanon was banned...so is '68. Email the administration if you'd like to discuss the original ban, and work out a deal to 'play nicely'

Oh - so was your OTHER account: Cogline
And your OTHER account: IrishEyes
And your OTHER account: Mally

Forum List

Back