The perfect sammich...

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
What in your opinion makes the "perfect" sammie? In my humble opinion, I believe that a good old fashioned ham and cheese on rye is a tough act to follow. What say you?

staying reasonable....

blackforest ham, pepper jack cheese, mustard, toasted fifteen grain bread. have it once or twice a week when I work from home.

maybe pushing it:

either a pulled pork sandwich or a french dip, not sure if those count

Maybe I'll revise my sandwich selection... A Carolina style pork bar-b-que sammich with cole slaw on it is a pretty tough act to follow too. Then there's the Oyster sammich or a soft-shell crab sammie.. So many choices. Life can be so hard... Even a PB & J with a glass of cold milk is a plus. Wow. This is pretty tough.

The perfect sammich is the right bread to compliment the ingredients, with the proper ratio of filling to bread.

Personal favorites: Homemade meatloaf (at the risk of being immodest, mine is faboo) on good bakery white bread with mayo. That really is the only way to eat meat loaf. Not terribly healthy, but a nice treat once in awhile.

A BLT with Miracle Whip, the bacon with a bit of bite to it (not crunchy), fresh ripe tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, and a crunchy dill pickle on the side.

Any sandwich can be the perfect sandwich if done right. Egg salad? Yummy. Shrimp po boy? Yum. Cheese steak ? Yum. Muffalotto? Yes siree.

But my kid actually brought a sandwich home from work the other night that was prety damned tasty. He made it up, so it's not on the Pizaa Hutt menu.

Boneless buffalo wings, provologne cheese, melted on their good sandwhich rolls then lettuce, tomato and ranch dressing. Damn good

The perfect sammich is the right bread to compliment the ingredients, with the proper ratio of filling to bread.

Personal favorites: Homemade meatloaf (at the risk of being immodest, mine is faboo) on good bakery white bread with mayo. That really is the only way to eat meat loaf. Not terribly healthy, but a nice treat once in awhile.
My fave, too, but I prefer the tangy zip of Miracle Whip. :)

primanti-brothers.jpg

Folks, the perfect sandwich has been right here in Pittsburgh all along.

Your answer came very close to mine. I love pbj on rye. Then again, nothing can beat a panini at the right time. Smoked turkey, with dijon mustard and some greens on Asiago roll, mmmmm.

a good grilled cheese,

a rueban from dunn's deli....

in the summer ...a mater sammie with mayo

blt....whole wheat toasted...light on the mayo...

mayo = duke's

My sandwich tastes change constantly.

Today I had a smoked turkey breast (I smoked it myself in my Big Green Egg) on a couple of thick slices of rye with some home made green tomato and banana pepper relish and a pile of home made pickles

Awesome.

a good grilled cheese,

a rueban from dunn's deli....

in the summer ...a mater sammie with mayo

blt....whole wheat toasted...light on the mayo...

mayo = duke's

I LOVE tomato sandwiches. I like them on sourdough...sliced tomatoes, mayo & sourdough. But I'll use any sort of bread. Sometimes toasted, sometimes not.

And I like liverwurst sandwiches....mayo, tomatoes, onions and liverwurst or bransweiger (sp?). I think liverwurst tastes like liver pate, and I LOVE pate.

Also bacon sandwiches....bread, mayo & lots of bacon. Or blts....same w/maters.

I'm not big on lettuce. I have braces, and before the braces my bite wasn't great, so lettuce can be a real pain in the ass.

I have gone through peanut butter and pickle sandwich stages in my life as well. It really is good. Use good pickles, sliced lengthwise.

Veggie sandwiches...avocado, cukes, tomatoes, walla walla sweets, mayo, sprouts.

Chicken sandwiches...and not that shit you buy at the deli but home-cooked, sliced white chicken meat with mayo, provolone, sprouts, avocado.

Chicken salad....chopped chicken, sweet relish, mayo and a little dry mustard.

Mmm...I'm hungry. And we're not having sammiches, we're having beef barley soup.

I want a sandwich now.

Way too many to mention, and depends on the mood.
A nice Panini with basil pesto, roasted red peppers, purple onions with roasted garlic infused mayo is the perfect sammie with a well made butternut squash bisque.

Course - thick cut REAL bacon, mayo and tomato...hard to beat that as well.

Grilled Chorizo link with southern slaw and chipolte mayo is damn fine with a stout.

Forum List

Back