the pendulum swings ever further, is right the right way?

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
victorian attitude

HARTSVILLE — Since February, they stood proud along Highway 25, their bottoms bare and chests showing, well, a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Then, about three weeks ago, two people, one of them a customer, phoned the G&L Garden Center to say it was way too much and asked the owners to please move them around back.

But the statues weigh as much as 500 pounds each and are an ordeal to move. So owners Angie Langford and Pam Gregory came up with a different approach to customer service.

Nearly a dozen concrete statues are sporting crimson velvet two-piece sarongs — as if Santa had a bikini team.

It's no joke or sarcastic statement.

''We didn't want to offend anyone, and we covered them up,'' said Langford, a resident of Hartsville.

She said she couldn't afford to ignore customers, even if she isn't exactly sure who they are.

Now, the attempt at maintaining the girls' roadside modesty is stopping traffic. And yes, some customers are peeking.

''They are pulling the tops and looking underneath,'' Langford said. ''They wonder what we're hiding.''

It's hard to find people who are offended in Hartsville.

Across the street from the garden center, workers at Hartsville Gas have full view of the garden center, including the statues.

''I guess some people just don't appreciate art,'' said gas technician Brad Smith, shaking his head.

Another piece of ammo in my magazine about 'why I hate people sometimes'

Why are you thinking 'right-wingers' are behind this?

Anyone who is offended at those statues is an idiot. :)

Originally posted by dmp

You mean this isn't part of the 'more conservative america? :p:

nah, you're right. This is about idiocy more than anything, just have to keep giving you guys shit when I can ;)

Originally posted by dmp

I think it is quite clear the problem rests with the people peeking underneath, not the art.

Originally posted by NewGuy
I think it is quite clear the problem rests with the people peeking underneath, not the art.

Negative - the problem is an idiot who 'complained' in the first place. In a mentally-healthy person there is nothing wrong/sexual/illicit about breasts.

:-/

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Nothing sexual about breasts? Check me into a mental ward!

Do you get turned on when you look at your own? :)

I could show you mine - I guarantee you'd likely vomit.

barf_jpg.jpg

Forum List

Back