The Patriots Win!!!! Or do they?

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
Far too many of our Veterans, Patriots, live homelessly or so close to complete poverty it is inexcuseable for those of us that claim to admire them to deny them or their medical problems. I see embracing them to be a plus for the Republican Party

I realize that Patriot admiration runs a little more than close to me right now as my Viet Nam Veteran brother just died a few days ago in Fort Myers. Florida. I have another thread here in USMB about that and I encourage you to visit it. Your friendship there is most appreciated. But for this trhead, that's beside the point. Why do we ignore the real Patriots, claim their Patriotism as our own and then deny them when their Patriotic connected illnesses manifest themselves in the forms of illness and disabilities?

Our kids are now fighting in most uncertain situations and yet they still push on. A little earlier this year, the present administration tried to cut their hazardous duty/combat pay. Thank goodness, that was quickly reversed. But it did indicate a propensity, don't you think? But even now, most of the active duty troops don't get one cent or one second of consideration for any hazardous duty/combat pay. And many of them, if not all of them, fail to recognise that they won't get any consideration when their combat related illnesses begin to manifest in one year, ten years or thirty years from now. The treatment of Veterans in this country, the United States of America, is atrocious to say the least.

I think Republicans and Democrats alike are equally complicit in the maltreatment of our Patriots, our Veterans. And I also think that a sizeable number Veterans and present day Warriors are not to be fooled with wordsmithing and lies. How long will they be expected to fall for unkept promises? And promises that were never meant to be kept? And being ignored when they express their needs? They came up to the plate willingly when we called them. Will we come up to the plate when they call us? History indicates the negative, at least to me.

Have the Patriots actually won?

I have two thoughts on this issue. The first is that those who serve our country deserve the best of everything. They were promised medical treatment and a pension; they should receive both.

I am a very conservative person but I would always vote for spending on our vets and offer them thanks by supporting veterans organizations and truly honoring their holidays.

Secondly, as for what they've won it's more than just their personal gain. They've won freedom for this country and all those we protect. That, as a big picture, is far more important than their pensions will ever be. I'm sure that when they delve into whatever philosophy runs their lives (I don't want to say religion per se, but whatever) that's what they know inside.

I do not take my stay here in the US for granted and I work very hard to live the life of a patriot (of course you may disagree with my stance on issues). I support and reflect on all those who have helped to earn my freedoms. That is the least I can do.

Hey Psychoblues, welcome back. hope all went as well as expected..sorry for your/our loss. on some aspects of your post I agree, after the fightin is all said and done the vets are "shelved" to the point of second class citizens when it comes to med care. if it isnt an emergancy make an appointment...see ya in 6 months. not right. as one of the "perks" for being overseas there were NO TAXES with held from the militarys pay. also if a vet/retired military person has a claim for say"agent orange" why not approve the claim if there is a basis for it and then go about the process of percentage ect instead of drawing it out for so long that these proud folks are forced to live on the streets and even pass on before there claims are approved. it didnt take 10 years for the military to accept them , the same should apply here. just my opinion here but welcome back

Oh no, Moi. I never question Patriotism due to any stance on issues. The diversification (boy I wish I could think of a better word) of our issue examination is what makes this country so great. Of course, the exploitation of what makes us feel all warm and fuzzy is another subject altogether.

I will stand in line to testify that there are Veterans that tend to manipulate the "system" but I would have to go on to sya that such manipulation is no excuse for the denial of earned rights and benefits. Don't you agree?

Yours, Moi, is the kind of post I most treasure. I think your post honest and truly compassionate. I wish that more Republicans were equally as compassionate and thankful for our true Patriots, our Veterans.

Forum List

Back