The Path to Eternal Wars...

pbel

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2012
Israel approves new east Jerusalem settlement - Yahoo! News

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel is pressing forward with construction in a new east Jerusalem settlement, a municipal official said Wednesday, part of a series of new building plans that have drawn worldwide rebuke, including from its closest ally, the United States.

The Jerusalem Planning Committee approved 2,612 housing units in the Givat Hamatos settlement on Jerusalem's southern rim, said City Councilor Pepe Alalu. The area, inhabited by a few dozen Jewish and Palestinian families who live in rundown trailers, would be the first new settlement to be built in east Jerusalem since 1997. Alalu, who voted against the project, said construction could begin in a year.

Critics consider Givat Hamatos a particularly problematic area to develop because, along with another contentious plan in an area known as E-1, it would hinder access to east Jerusalem from the West Bank. The Palestinians claim east Jerusalem as the capital of their future state.

Israel announced the new building push as a response after the U.N. last month recognized a state of Palestine in the West Bank, Gaza and east Jerusalem — lands Israel captured in 1967 — as a non-member observer.

The plans include thousands of homes for Jews in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, as well as preparations for construction in E-1.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has repeatedly brushed off the international condemnations of his latest settlement plans. "We are committed to our capital, we are committed to peace and we will build in Jerusalem for all its residents," he said Wednesday.

Seems to me there is a housing shortage for every one in the region that is used to justify land disputes.

I wonder if All Isrealis and Palestinians had nice homes, hoods and schools, would rockets continue to be hurled back and forth?

Seems to me there is a housing shortage for every one in the region that is used to justify land disputes.

I wonder if All Isrealis and Palestinians had nice homes, hoods and schools, would rockets continue to be hurled back and forth?

Not as long as killing Jews is in the palestinian constitution.

And the wheel goes round n round.....Its about land and control of it....always is.

What would be in your constitution if you felt you had your land ( Home) taken or encroached upon.

The issue is less Jew/Palestinian and more home/ human.

Forum List

Back