The Passion of the Christ

The Passion is the number one movie again. It has to do with Easter of course - but when has a movie - start at number one - remain in the theatres for a few weeks to go down to number 5 and then rise again?

It has earned 355.million.

Not bad for a low budget film huh?

I want to rub into Hollywoods face....look what kind of money you are NOT getting!

Originally posted by winston churchi

It has earned 355.million.
I want to rub into Hollywoods face....look what kind of money you are NOT getting!

For the Christians out there, I want you to think about something very seriously.

How much of that will go to the catholic church, and how did you advertise this to others to increase that dollar figure?

I finally saw this movie yesterday. My overall impression was being overwhelmed. I am not sure that I have ever seen such cruel treatment of one person by others.
Theologically speaking, I saw nothing objectionable. I know there were parts in there that are based on Catholic tradition (i.e. how many times He fell, the woman wiping the blood off His face) but none of it contradicted Scripture.
As far as the "anti-Semitism," the only people who end up looking like they are guilty of Jesus' death are the Hig Priest and the Sanhedrin - the religious Jews. Other Jews seemed at least neutral to Jesus' fate, while some (Simon of Cyrene comes to mind) feel bad for Him. The Roman soldiers (the common soldiers, not the officers) end up looking quite bloodthirsty and savage; I don't know if that is realistic or not, but it was the only part of it that seemed over the edge.
At times, I felt like Darin... I just wanted to jump in the picture and say, "Stop! Can't you see that you've already beat Him enough?" But looking at the big picture, it makes sense that He had to suffer and die the way that He did. While gruesome, even by today's standards, there is absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind that Jesus died that day - a fact that makes His resurrection all the more incredible.

Originally posted by NewGuy
For the Christians out there, I want you to think about something very seriously.

How much of that will go to the catholic church, and how did you advertise this to others to increase that dollar figure?

I didn't know any of it was intended to go to the Catholic church. It doesn't matter where the money ends up - in pockets I am sure.

I would like to think a good part would be donated to some worthy charity - the church? I don't know about that church though.

Advertise? I know they advertise late at night - but most of their advertisments were free - by way of critics who panned the movie. They panned it so much that Americans just had to go out and spend the nine dollars to see what it was all about...

But it would be interesting to find out where the money will end up at the end of its run.

Since it's now out on DVD, I finaly saw this movie, and as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out as to whether or not I liked it. The blood and violence in it are too much I think. I don't think but for maybe the first few minutes of the movie, there wasn't a scene where he wasn't getting whipped or beaten. Purely from a reasonable stand point, I don't think ANYONE could have endured that without passing out, or outright dying. It was far fetched I think. But, if it all was just to get a point accrossed, the movie did that in spades.

Pale Rider said:
I don't think ANYONE could have endured that without passing out, or outright dying.

That is the point of the movie. Jesus wasn't just anyone.

the most important scene in this movie had to be after they raised Jesus on the crucifix next to the two criminals.

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise"

To me, and I'm not 'religious' per se, was the most moving scene in the whole movie.

I thought I was a GREAT movie. I was instantly drawn into the movie. I thought I was going to have a hard time (Refusing to watch any subtitled movies) but I didnt have any issues with them.

I dont see how anyone could think that it is teaching false scriptures. From what I remember...90% of the movie I remember from CCD and my time as an altar boy. The movie wasnt made to replace the Bible..but maybe to get people interested in the Bible. If it does have that affect then I would say Mel did just what he was intending to do. As for the anti-semitism, from what I was taught, it WAS the Jewish people who had him crucified. Cant change history.

I WOULD recommend this movie for all too see!!

Jackass said:
I thought I was a GREAT movie. I was instantly drawn into the movie. I thought I was going to have a hard time (Refusing to watch any subtitled movies) but I didnt have any issues with them.

I dont see how anyone could think that it is teaching false scriptures. From what I remember...90% of the movie I remember from CCD and my time as an altar boy. The movie wasnt made to replace the Bible..but maybe to get people interested in the Bible. If it does have that affect then I would say Mel did just what he was intending to do. As for the anti-semitism, from what I was taught, it WAS the Jewish people who had him crucified. Cant change history.

I WOULD recommend this movie for all too see!!

Jackass an alter boy ?? :teeth: :teeth:

And man do I remember the CCD days ... :(

Jackass said:
The movie wasnt made to replace the Bible..but maybe to get people interested in the Bible. If it does have that affect then I would say Mel did just what he was intending to do.

See, I don't see where it would, though. I definitely see where Christians would find this movie very important, but I couldn't see it converting any non-believers. Maybe it's just me, but I think presenting the most important event in christianity in such a dark, dreary light would turn people off from it. Again, maybe it's just me. But, I feel this movie is to Christianity as Farenheit 9/11 is to Anti-Bush sentiments, it's really only reaching the already-converted.

I dont think so. I for one am into learning about other religions. I always chat with people about their religions when I can.

freeandfun1 said:
That is the point of the movie. Jesus wasn't just anyone.

He was "human"... just a man. He died just like any other man. He did NOT have superhuman strength.

DKSuddeth said:
the most important scene in this movie had to be after they raised Jesus on the crucifix next to the two criminals.

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise"

To me, and I'm not 'religious' per se, was the most moving scene in the whole movie.

The most powerful and moving scene to me was when his mother came running up to him as he carried the cross and he said, "see mother, I make all things new". That put a lump in my throat, then I got pissed.

Pale Rider said:
He was "human"... just a man. He died just like any other man. He did NOT have superhuman strength.

He was a MAN carried by faith, love and a MISSION.

I'm sure what you are trying to imply that I was implying. I NEVER said or implied he was "superhuman".

My point was that he was not just ANY man. He had to suffer and die for OUR sins as that was the deal GOD made with US. So, as I said, he was not just any ONE as in not just ANY man!

Get it?

The Passion of the Christ...
First, this movie is ultra ultra violent and goer, specially the flagellation. I know, it probably would be like that, but when the scourge caught some piece of his skin...... So it was really gore.
But it is not ther most important. OF course, it showed the last day of Jesus, with a very dark view, very sadn ti touch people, to exacerbate their feelings.
But sometimes the violence is useless.
In this movie, some critics :
te romans HQ - Ponce Pilate, his lieutenant, are really clever, but the roman soldiers are dumb. It was certainly the case, he high officer were issue from clever families...But Pilate is showed like a man who never want to kill Jesus, because his wife understand His message. And Piltae seems to understand too. On the other side, the Jewish Council is showed like a fistful of man who want power above all. THey kill jesus because he was a danger for them.
It is not really a good idea of the Jews.
Because Jews didn't kill Jesus, they give him to the romans. At one moment of the movie, we can see in the Jewish council hall, a croos. And people are building this cross, the same cross whiwh kill Jesus. Mistake : the Cross was a ROMAN punishment, not a Jews. Spartacus' slaves had finish on crosses on the Via Appia, it was about in 70 Before JC.
Show that the Jews did the cross to kill jesus is a lie, the cross is only a roman method.

So, in this movie, all is do to show that Jews were the ugly bad and Pilate the good roman,unable to change the things.
Amazing, because during 2000 yaers Pilate was the bad, like the jews.

Of course, this movie is not antisemetic, Gibson said it, he is catholic, and repect all the religion.
Only the dumbs would go out of the cinema with a feeling of hating Jews....But some agressions against jews have been comited : in front of a church, a board, on which was write "Jews kill Jesus", or in a school, a littel jewish guy had been kick by his "comrades" because he was Jews.

This movie can influence the small-minded.

I wanted to see it because I hear that it was antisemetic, and I want to do my personal opinion. I think it is not, but like I've said up, it can be dangerous fot some person who don't think.

Otherwise, I'm not sad to having spend 3 hours and 6.60 euros to watch it.
My favoutite scene : I don't really know. The Pieta scene was quite good. the moment when we see Jesus on the cross, but when the camera is upon the crosses....it is a good point of view.

padisha emperor said:
Because Jews didn't kill Jesus, they give him to the romans. At one moment of the movie, we can see in the Jewish council hall, a croos. And people are building this cross, the same cross whiwh kill Jesus. Mistake : the Cross was a ROMAN punishment, not a Jews. Spartacus' slaves had finish on crosses on the Via Appia, it was about in 70 Before JC.
Show that the Jews did the cross to kill jesus is a lie, the cross is only a roman method.

Padisha, you are certainly right in saying that the cross was a Roman form of punishment - though in reality, the Romans borrowed the idea from one of the nations they conquered (can't remember which one) and perfected it, in the sense that they made it more efficient. But Jews were frequently pressed into service to fashion cross beams - remember, Judea was part of the Roman Empire at the time.
But the reason that the cross enters into the picture at all is that the Jews did not have the authority to sentence people to death; only the Romans did. So the religious Jews were forced to give Jesus up to the Romans in order to put Him to death.

gop_jeff said:
Padisha, you are certainly right in saying that the cross was a Roman form of punishment - though in reality, the Romans borrowed the idea from one of the nations they conquered (can't remember which one) and perfected it, in the sense that they made it more efficient. But Jews were frequently pressed into service to fashion cross beams - remember, Judea was part of the Roman Empire at the time.
But the reason that the cross enters into the picture at all is that the Jews did not have the authority to sentence people to death; only the Romans did. So the religious Jews were forced to give Jesus up to the Romans in order to put Him to death.
I think the people who blame Jews for Jesus' death use the fact that the Jews were given an option by Pilate as to who to crucify (Barrabas or jesus).
The Jewish crowd chose to spare Barrabas.

dilloduck said:
I think the people who blame Jews for Jesus' death use the fact that the Jews were given an option by Pilate as to who to crucify (Barrabas or jesus).
The Jewish crowd chose to spare Barrabas.

so therefore, in a sense, the Jews DID kill Jesus.

The Biblical account puts the blame pretty squarely on the religious leaders of the day - the Pharisees and the Sanhedrin especially. They riled up the crowd to ask for Barabbas instead of Jesus. I would imagine that, given Barabbas' crime (participating in a rebellion against the Romans) he would have had some sympathizers in the first place.

Of course, it was the Romans who carried out the actual scourging and crucifixion of Christ. But the Sanhedrin was the body that handed Him over.

gop_jeff said:
The Biblical account puts the blame pretty squarely on the religious leaders of the day - the Pharisees and the Sanhedrin especially. They riled up the crowd to ask for Barabbas instead of Jesus. I would imagine that, given Barabbas' crime (participating in a rebellion against the Romans) he would have had some sympathizers in the first place.

Of course, it was the Romans who carried out the actual scourging and crucifixion of Christ. But the Sanhedrin was the body that handed Him over.

Jewish elite got a little scared I guess.

Forum List

Back