The Passion of the Christ

Point is, artists shouldn't have to be censored based on what a very small number of people may interpret from their song, movie, or show.

I havent seen the movie and i dont plan to, ive read the book.

Besides. I really dont need to see someone representing Christ be tortured and crucified. Just thinking about it makes me sick and i hate blood. Id feel like total crap afterwards. Ive seen other movies portrarying crucifiction with almost no blood that have been painful to watch. I could not handle this one.

But if you go see the movie, I hope you remember That this pales in comparison to what really happened. The Son of God was crucified to pay the price of sin. Yet the message of hope isnt in His crufiction, but in his resurrection and triumph over death. The message of the Gospel is that Christ overcame the world. He conquored death and sin, and He will help us do the same.

Interesting side note: Do you think its interesting this movie has come out now right when anti Christian forces are organizing the over throw of marriage in society? Talk about the right time to start bringing people back to Christ.

I saw the Passion on the opening morning with my brother and sister . It was a sold out theater at 10:30 in the morning . The theater was a buzz with everyone on their cells talking to who knows who . The film started late and had to be restarted twice but after that it was smooth sailing . I have never experienced a theater that quiet . When the film ended , very few got up to leave . I sat drained through the credits in silence , nobody spoke .
I was raised Catholic , my Mother is an extremely devout Catholic . She was raised in the depression and the church fed her family . I was even an altar boy . I haven't attended church for at least 30 years except for weddings and funerals and this film brought me back to my childhood . During Lent we follow the "Stations of the Cross" which is basically brought to life by this film . The totrture scenes were tough but what teared me up the most was Mary . The actress that played her said more in one look than alot would with 100 lines .
As I walked to my truck reflecting on what I had seen , I was struck by the incredible act of forgiveness , it made me think of my own life and how I treat others . It almost made me feel bad about how I have spoken to some on this board like Bry or Spillmind . . . but then I rethought that point and think that it is for their own good to try to slap some sense into them . :rolleyes:
Anyway , I kept up with all of the media coverage before seeing it and I was definitely not disappointed , it had nothing but a positive effect on me .
Bravo Mel and all of the crew that put this film together!:clap:

The totrture scenes were tough but what teared me up the most was Mary .

Same here. Gibson did a great job with those scenes, which really made me wish he'd make a movie about Jesus' life. I'd be first in line to see that.

I saw the movie today, with my wife.

I'm not the same person I was this morning...there were points in the movie where I was sobbing to the point of shaking - I had to fight the urge to yell out "STOP!! STOP BEATING HIM".

I get into movies..the fact that this movie gives me what I think could be a glimpse of what Christ actually went thru helps me be a stronger Christian.

Originally posted by sitarro
The actress that played her said more in one look than alot would with 100 lines .
Bravo Mel and all of the crew that put this film together!:clap: [/B]

Agreed.

Acting is more than repeating words from a script. Any halfwitted Hollywood overpaid actor can do that...but real talent is expression and few have that talent.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Gibson did this his own money. Why? Because the Jews are major directors/sponsors (you could say they run hollywood) and he thought that it would affend Jewish business men. Who cares?

Originally posted by AtlantaWalter
And what happened to the people who died before this marvelous reward was placed before us?

Depends...some made annimal-and-other sacrifices for their sins...

Christ came so we could stop all that non-sense. :)

I heard Mel's planning on making a movie about the Ressurrection as well as financing a studio that makes religious movies. The resurrection is good, but I'd still like to see a movie about Jesus' life by Gibson.

A LOT of the stuff in this movie was taken from what a 19th century mystic said. She claims she had a vision about jesus' death. Mel read a lot of what she said and used some of it in the movie.

If you guys want the detailed layout of how this movie was pretty much a verbatim of the book by a catholic mystic who had a questionable mental health state, here is the full analysis:

http://www.av1611.org/Passion/passion.html

From the page:

We as Christians are given the charge of 2 Thessalonians 5:21 to "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." There is nothing that we as God’s children should exclude from examination under the light of the Word of God. There is nothing, no matter how "pleasant to the eyes" (Genesis 3:6) it appears that we should automatically presume is the will of God.

And may we not forget our adversary. Satan is very crafty. His ultimate goal is "to be like the most High" (Isaiah 14:14). He is the master of counterfeiters. The Bible says in Matthew 24:24 that "false Christs shall arise" and "if possible should deceive the very elect". Satan desires to be Christ. His ultimate role would be to "act" as Jesus.

With that in mind, may we always be cautious to Satan’s potential injection of poison and venom, especially when the Lord Jesus Christ is the topic. May we agree with the apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 2:11, "not to be ignorant of Satan’s devices" – "lest he should get an advantage of us".

There are some Christians who will cry "Foul, You are just looking for bad stuff in The Passion". And to that I say, "Amen". That is exactly what we as Christians are commanded to do – "Prove all things". Let us never be guilty of closing our eyes and disregarding our Bibles to any possible influence of Satan.

As we examine The Passion. let us prayerfully hold the attitude and conviction of the Bereans in Acts 17:11 who "searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so".

10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
Acts 17:11
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
1 Peter 5:8

A few years ago, as Mel Gibson was rediscovering and renewing his Catholic faith, Mel Gibson purchased a library of hundreds of books from a closed nunnery. Mel claims as he was reaching for a book on the library shelf a supernatural intervention caused another book to "miraculously" drop into his hands. And that "miracle" book, not the Bible, not the Gospels, is the inspiration of The Passion. The book was The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ according to the Meditations of Anne Catherine Emmerich. Gibson claims like "magic" this book opened up a new world. "'Amazing images,' he said. 'She supplied me with stuff I never would have thought of".

Who is Anne Catherine Emmerich, the mysterious script writer of The Passion?

-This is not a page from a whacko with an agenda.

There is nothing in the Passion which VIOLATES scripture...There is nothing in the movie which contradicts the foundations of our Faith. There is NO cause for alarm. The movie is not, nor was never intended to replace the bible...It provides a very realistic view of the kinds of things Christ went thru for us. Who is to say the visions those Nuns had were NOT of God? (shrug).

To me, and I think to God, we need to focus on Christ...his Message...his Life. Setting aside the minutia; create a condition in our heart where we can see what He wants us to be. This movie literally motivated me into a MUCH closer relationship with Christ...to that end, I'll be forever thankful of it.

Originally posted by dmp
There is nothing in the Passion which VIOLATES scripture...There is nothing in the movie which contradicts the foundations of our Faith. There is NO cause for alarm. The movie is not, nor was never intended to replace the bible...It provides a very realistic view of the kinds of things Christ went thru for us. Who is to say the visions those Nuns had were NOT of God? (shrug).

To me, and I think to God, we need to focus on Christ...his Message...his Life. Setting aside the minutia; create a condition in our heart where we can see what He wants us to be. This movie literally motivated me into a MUCH closer relationship with Christ...to that end, I'll be forever thankful of it.

Well, this would be where we would have to question the insistence of catholocism that the pope is infallible, and that mary was something other than a normal person in extraordinary circumstance. They pray to her and do other ritualistic things as REQUIREMENT for salvation.

The point here is that it is from that place that Mel has his faith. He took a book from a catholic nun and ADDED things from the Bible that are significant when talking about our Savior. -Behaviors, events, and such ARE significant.

True, the Bible is not a film. True, the film is not meant to REPLACE the Bible. The thing to be aware of here, though, is that anything ADDED to the Word is forbidden.

Mel knows full well, like we do, that the film is for unbelievers more than believers. He knows they will see this as being fact. (even though it is not intended to be) He also knows that by placing a few of catholocisms teachings in the movie, people will lean toward catholocism if they feel moved toward a better Biblical understanding.

Given what is at stake here, I think it compares to a satanic film. If it is a film, it is entertainment. He has every right to produce it and show it. We, as Gods children, though, have a right AND OBLIGATION NOT to promote it to be seen if it causes another to stumble.

Because of the masses and their lack of knowledge this is equivalent to false teaching.

As such, I will continue to point this out to others since it comes down to either promoting or condemning false teaching.

[/soapbox]

At the end of the day the movie did what it was intended to do.

First - make money and that it did - a lot of money.

Second - incline people to read the good book - which ever good book they prefer and I that they did - including myself to read about parts of the movie I found interesting.

Third - Gets people to talk about it again and again. Most movies come and go with a light breeze but this has staying power..why? People are still talking about it, people are still paying to see it and Hollywood is cutting its thick throat that they didn't see it coming.

Their is talk about a Passion book. Yeah, It's called the Bible.

I just saw the passion today. I don't know what I feel about the movie. I'll just start rambeling and hopefully i get my point across.
Well let me say first that i am not a religious person in the least. I haven't attended church in over 6 years and the last time i went was because i had to attend a weding. So with that said i came into this movie looking for some portrayal of the sacrafice Jesus made for his people. I'ld have to say first off it reminded me of what i was told in sunday school. I felt there was no new information being given to me by the movie. I will say that the actors were great. The fact that through the looks on thier faces i could understand the languege.

To review this movie I have to state at this time i feal that the movie was not this great piece of artistry that i thought it would be. I infact felt no emotion during this movie. I shed not one tear and had no feeling of guilt and discust as jesus was tortured. The only feelings I had were loathing for the preists who feared the truth and had it killed, and the sympathy for Piolit and the descisine he had to make. the fact that he tried more times than not to save the life of Jesus. In this matter and the way the film is portrayed i feel that it was not the Romans that killed Jesus. It was the clergy of the temple that had Jesus killed. That is the only thing i can come to for surtan. The pain that the actor portrayed was awsome to the lest. however i never felt it grab me. I never felt any emotion towards this movie. This could be exampled by the fact that as soon as the credits came up i got out of my seat and left the theater. I saw the crowd shocked and many people crying. I was unaffect by this movie. It never captured me. I don't understand it.

The fact that some people may descibe this as violent i would say that I have seen much worse violence on film and in the news. I guess some people could see that as extermly violent because of the emotion portrayed and the figure that it is exacted upon.

Now i come to the end of my review. This is more of questions the movie razed inside of me. As I left the theater and because of my nonreaction i felt like i did something wrong. That because this movie had no affect on me and that it had reduced all who i saw see this movie to tears. I felt like i had sinned. However i still am going to remain a non religious person. I say that if the bible is true, I know many of you belive it is so, than the horor that this man endured is awesome by all means of the word.

Final review. I can't say I'm still digesting this movie...I need more time to think about it. However at this time I cannot recomend this movie to anyone. Not because of the message or the violence. but because it is jsut not a "good" movie. thats the best i can put it together. I know i'm missing the point of the movie, I can't see it or find it.:(

The fact that some people may descibe this as violent i would say that I have seen much worse violence on film and in the news.

I think I would probably say that this is the most violent movie I've ever seen. I consider violence to be not only the amount of blood or guts shown, but the way the material is presented as well. This is why I can watch a movie like Friday the 13th and not care about 20-30 people getting brutally butchered, and yet something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which has almost no onscreen blood, comes across as way more violent, just because of the presentation.

I will say that the actors were great. The fact that through the looks on thier faces i could understand the languege.

The acting was great. Lots of people have been talking about how the actors' faces say just as much as their words, I believe the reason for this is that originally Gibson wanted there to be no subtitles, and fought hard to have none. I guess, without the subtitles, he wanted to make sure everyone still got the jist of what was going on.

Forum List

Back