The Passion of Christ

Feb 15, 2004
The movie opens today.

Does anyone find it a complete laugh that so much is centered around how aweful this movie is? I was reading the Boston Globe where Margarie Eagon (?) wrote a near page length critique on the movie.
Andy Rooney spent his usual fifteen minuets of nonsense discussing the mental illness apparent of Mel Gibson.
It is discussed on The O'Reilly Factor on Fox.
It is discussed front page on every newspaper and newstation. It it the hot topic on the internet when I sign on.

So everyone, mostly anyway, is trying to tell everyone else not to see the picture and then follows with a list of reasons not to see it. Meanwhile they are spending their last breath, last inch of paper to ensure their point is across to the public, not to see this movie.
The public now cannot get to the ticket booths fast enough to watch what all the fuss is about. Mel Gibson has probibly, as we speak, has earned more money than anyone could imagine before the movie was actually released, to pre sold tickets.
He has spend little if no money at all on advertising and it must be destroying his competition in the theatre.

So one has to ask if the movie is so aweful then why spend so much time discussing it? There are many God aweful movies out there that can cause a stir with the public in one form or another but few people will pay any mind to it. If the movie is that bad then state your opinon and move on. However this is not the case and how laughable it is that such people who are trying to turn the public away are doing the movie a favour.

I for one will see the movie. If not for what it is about than certainly for what the stir is about. I find a movie that causes people to discuss it on every channel, every newspaper - it must offer something!

Mel holds the puppet strings in this case. More power to him.

I have not seen it, but plan to soon. As far as why everyone hates it so much... some say the violence in the movie is gratuitous and/or unnecessary, some say it's anti-Semitic, some say it's a fairy tale. Regardless, I think it will be a great film. How great remains to be seen.

I plan to see it this weekend. If the lefty anti-christians say its bad it must be really good.

Originally posted by winston churchi
The movie opens today.

So one has to ask if the movie is so aweful then why spend so much time discussing it?

Hmmmm, maybe because it's about jesus. that could be it, but that's just my oppinion.

Originally posted by RightyRightOn
I plan to see it this weekend. If the lefty anti-christians say its bad it must be really good.

the jews aren't being anti-christian they are defending themselves because they feel it is anti-semetic.

I didn't say anything about the Jews. It should be expected that Jews dislike any passion play.

Originally posted by RightyRightOn
I didn't say anything about the Jews. It should be expected that Jews dislike any passion play.

yeah but it's mainly jews speaking out against it.

let's take this discussion to the Movie Reviews forum, I'll have my opinions on it there.

By the way I just got done seeing this flick about hour 1/2 ago. What a powerful flick, but if you can't deal with realistic gore it ain't for you. Btw my wife just got done reading the actual account in the book of Mark and historically and biblically speaking the movie is dead on. He took some liberty with the torture scenes though because there are no actual accounts as to the type of torture only that he was tortured.

What i find really interesting is the line, that was taken out because its supposedly hate speech against jews is being totally misconstrued by the people who should understand the covenants.

The Pharisees and chief priests cry to let his blood be upon us and our children. There should be no objection to this because first, its what happened, and Second, having the blood of Christ on us is NOT a bad thing. Its through His blood we are cleansed from sin. Matthew, being a jew himself, had a very specific reason for putting that verse in there. It was to remind those who read it about the covenant, in Exodus 24, i believe. It was to show them that Christ is the new covenant and not condemn jews for killing Christ, especially since Christ himself forgave them for what they did. Matthew put alot of subtext in his gospel which devout jews should pick up if they read it and know their own faith.

The Jewish people should not be pissed about this, its been fact for some 2000 years that they were responsible for ramrodding his crucifiction and death. Although I believe that they were just the vehicle that god decided to use since this was foretold.

What i still dont understand is how a story about the last twelve hours of a jews life can be antisemetic.

Originally posted by OCA
historically and biblically speaking the movie is dead on.

didn't he get tossed off a bridge chained at the wrists in the movie?

where is that in the bible?

The issue some people have with the movie is that they say it portrays Pontus Pilate (the Roman in charge) as sort of a non-entity, and seems, in their minds, to portray the Jews as completely responsible for Jesus' torture and death. They would argue that Pilate had Jesus (and a lot of other people) crucified. I do not know, or for that matter care, what the truth is.

I have not seen the movie, and have no plans to do so. I simply do not like violent movies, and every thing I've heard and every review I've read, positive or negative, tells me this movie is extremely and graphically violent. If Mel Gibson wants to put out a two hour movie of Jesus being beaten to a pulp and crucified that's fine, but don't ask me to watch it.

acludem

Forum List

Back