the party of

Using a soft voice and a gentle touch here, I am just wondering in a hypothetical sort of way:

Why is it that the GOP is generally portrayed as the stubborn, selfish, (or pick an adjective) party of 'no' because they don't want to work with Democrats. . . .but. . . .

The Democrats are never expected to work with the Republicans and are not branded the 'party of no' when they don't?

Because silly, when the Dems do it they are acting in the best interest of the COMMunity.

Using a soft voice and a gentle touch here, I am just wondering in a hypothetical sort of way:

Why is it that the GOP is generally portrayed as the stubborn, selfish, (or pick an adjective) party of 'no' because they don't want to work with Democrats. . . .but. . . .

The Democrats are never expected to work with the Republicans and are not branded the 'party of no' when they don't?

Do as they say... not as they do

Progressives always know better, they are smarter than you.
They have a solution for everything, even people like you.

One more thing, Republicans are the party in civil war? Have you been watching the Democrats at all lately? You don't have a supermajority in both houses and have problems getting this passed because you are all unified.

The Democratic Party only seems to be far left because the Republican Party is SO far right.

It's no like. It's just the way it is.

:lol:.....you know Dean i have been called a far right fringer by some people in here.....i told them just what you are saying here......i said when your "chatting" with someone as far left as Rdean or Political Junky.....anyone would seem like a FAR right individual...oh and by the way THIS......

The Democratic Party only seems to be far left because the Republican Party is SO far right.......works both ways....most of us can see that.....what your problem is.....well i aint no shrink....but i think you are somewhat .....obsessed....

The Republicans: What's wrong with America's right | The Economist

has the tea party forced the gop so far to the right that the only alternative is the democratic party?

Is the DNC the new party of fiscal responsibility?It doesnt seem so.
Where do voters go who understand that running the printing press 24/7 .
Obama has now taken private liabilities and turned them into treasury bonds The entire USA bond market is junk bond derivatives market.

The USA is a 100 % debt /GDP. far more in debt then Greece Spain or any 3rd world nation.
We are borrowing money to pay for benefits to illegal immigrants while the unemployed get fat instead of fighting for the American dream , whats the point if the government is going to take it to give to some socially deprived statistic?
The end result ?
Higher taxes or reduced spending (unlikely)

Pointing fingers at the problems of the GOP is not a solution ,they are untrustworthy slobs,
The DNC are ordering new china for the titanic .The Tea party embraces S palin who is stumping for the Punch bowl turd.

Where do rational people go to be represented.

**Spelling and grammar errors intentionally left for trolls to comment on.

You are irrelevant because you ask irrelevant questions. The lobbiests are responsible for waste and unneccesary spending in government. The sooner you wake up to that reality even though you are a tool for the new GOP you could change things for the better by supporting legislation that curbs lobbiest influence and stop tirading on the party du jour.

It is less a Democrat/Republican divide than it is a citizen /aristocracy divide. The republican base is more angry at the leadership and is doing more shaking up, but I think there is a lot of Democrat anger at broken promises too. But right now, for now, the republican base is more intent on holding the politicians accountable.

Republicans promising the same old same old are being defeated.

It is less a Democrat/Republican divide than it is a citizen /aristocracy divide. The republican base is more angry at the leadership and is doing more shaking up, but I think there is a lot of Democrat anger at broken promises too. But right now, for now, the republican base is more intent on holding the politicians accountable.

Republicans promising the same old same old are being defeated.

That's the thing. What I am seeing happening is less focus on "who" (poltiical parties) and more focus on "what". What is good. What is responsible. What is important. What can wait. What can't wait.

There are party loyalists on both sides of the aisle who make a partisan issue out of everything. There are members here on USMB who do the same. It doesn't matter what the issue is. All that is important is that the other side is blamed for anything that goes wrong or is perceived as bad.

And they will push for anything, no matter how destructive it might be, rather than admit that a policy or idea is a bad one.

And there are honest differences on both sides, Democrat and Republican, left and right, both in Congress and on USMB about what is good. What is responsible. What is important. What can wait. What can't wait. And what the government's role should be in that.

I think we will have matured as people and as a nation when we can focus more on WHAT rather than focus on WHO should get the credit and who should get the blame.

The Republicans: What's wrong with America's right | The Economist

has the tea party forced the gop so far to the right that the only alternative is the democratic party?

Is the DNC the new party of fiscal responsibility?It doesnt seem so.
Where do voters go who understand that running the printing press 24/7 .
Obama has now taken private liabilities and turned them into treasury bonds The entire USA bond market is junk bond derivatives market.

The USA is a 100 % debt /GDP. far more in debt then Greece Spain or any 3rd world nation.
We are borrowing money to pay for benefits to illegal immigrants while the unemployed get fat instead of fighting for the American dream , whats the point if the government is going to take it to give to some socially deprived statistic?
The end result ?
Higher taxes or reduced spending (unlikely)

Pointing fingers at the problems of the GOP is not a solution ,they are untrustworthy slobs,
The DNC are ordering new china for the titanic .The Tea party embraces S palin who is stumping for the Punch bowl turd.

Where do rational people go to be represented.

**Spelling and grammar errors intentionally left for trolls to comment on.

You are irrelevant because you ask irrelevant questions. The lobbiests are responsible for waste and unneccesary spending in government. The sooner you wake up to that reality even though you are a tool for the new GOP you could change things for the better by supporting legislation that curbs lobbiest influence and stop tirading on the party du jour.
You are irrelevant because you are an idiot.I only saw your post because I was browsing offline.Now buzz off.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/2341716-post1.html
http://www.usmessageboard.com/1928554-post104.html

The Republican party I once loved is now consuming itself as it surrenders its soul to the right wing extremist wing that looks to expel any dissenting voice.

While they once considered the Rush Limbaughs and FoxNews droids to be a valuable resource for the party, they are now owned by the media blowhards and are terrified to risk upsetting them. As a result, all moderates and all members who once were open to compromise have either been driven out of the party or forced into the ever diminishing republican tent.

While the once grand and now just old party still has some tricks up their sleeve, they have settled onto a course that will eventually diminish the party into a minor fringe element

the vast majority of people whose top reason for voting for obama was 'because he was black', probably were black themselves. they will probably vote for obama again, and probably for the same reason.

You still trying to convince people that the only reason America voted for Obama is because he is black?

Aside from the cartoon, this was the most interesting part of the article.

As for ideas, the Republicans seem to be reducing themselves into exactly what the Democrats say they are: the nasty party of No. They may well lambast Mr Obama for expanding the federal deficit; but it is less impressive when they are unable to suggest alternatives. Paul Ryan, a bright young congressman from Wisconsin, has a plan to restore the budget to balance; it has sunk without a trace. During the row over health care, the right demanded smaller deficits but refused to countenance any cuts in medical spending on the elderly. Cutting back military spending is denounced as surrender to the enemy. Tax rises of any kind (even allowing the unaffordable Bush tax cuts to expire as scheduled) are evil.

Mainly, the bolded part. How come Mr Ryan's plan didn't get any traction within the supposed party of fiscal responsibility. His ideas may not be perfect, but at least they are an attempt at a solution and are better than offering nothing.

Why don't the congressional Republicans stand behind that plan, or maybe a variant, and say, "this is a loose outline for what we want to do"? I don't even know what the GOP would do if they got back into power. They couldn't really blame Obama as much then, and the electorate would expect solutions from them, too.

I don't know if repeating "at least we're not Obama" is enough to win the middle in 2012; if this country is so deep in the shit, then there needs to be some coherent problem solving from the right. And I'm not seeing that right now, so I think the article pretty much nailed it.

Aside from the cartoon, this was the most interesting part of the article....

I like this one better:
They may well lambast Mr Obama for expanding the federal deficit; but it is less impressive when they are unable to suggest alternatives.
Oh, they've suggested alternatives alright...But when push comes to shove, they don't have the spine to come across.

Aside from the cartoon, this was the most interesting part of the article.

As for ideas, the Republicans seem to be reducing themselves into exactly what the Democrats say they are: the nasty party of No. They may well lambast Mr Obama for expanding the federal deficit; but it is less impressive when they are unable to suggest alternatives. Paul Ryan, a bright young congressman from Wisconsin, has a plan to restore the budget to balance; it has sunk without a trace. During the row over health care, the right demanded smaller deficits but refused to countenance any cuts in medical spending on the elderly. Cutting back military spending is denounced as surrender to the enemy. Tax rises of any kind (even allowing the unaffordable Bush tax cuts to expire as scheduled) are evil.

Mainly, the bolded part. How come Mr Ryan's plan didn't get any traction within the supposed party of fiscal responsibility. His ideas may not be perfect, but at least they are an attempt at a solution and are better than offering nothing.

Why don't the congressional Republicans stand behind that plan, or maybe a variant, and say, "this is a loose outline for what we want to do"? I don't even know what the GOP would do if they got back into power. They couldn't really blame Obama as much then, and the electorate would expect solutions from them, too.

I don't know if repeating "at least we're not Obama" is enough to win the middle in 2012; if this country is so deep in the shit, then there needs to be some coherent problem solving from the right. And I'm not seeing that right now, so I think the article pretty much nailed it.

If I may suggest that the GOP doesn't need to PROVE anything, nor SUGGEST anything. The 2012 election will probably be like the 2008 election, where the party in-power is blamed for the bad economy, not realizing that it was the combined policies of the last 20-years that screwed-up the economy. There are no quick fixes, and no-one wants to be the one who takes any entitlements from anyone. I remember when a "reduction in COLA is a "cut".

So 2012 will be simply an election to take one party out of power and replace them with the other set of bums. The Tea Party seems to be the only group that actually wants to stop the "one set of bums or the other set of bums" that we've been subjected to the last 20-years.

So 2012 will be simply an election to take one party out of power and replace them with the other set of bums. The Tea Party seems to be the only group that actually wants to stop the "one set of bums or the other set of bums" that we've been subjected to the last 20-years.

Have you actually seen the bums the Tea Party is suggesting as alternatives?

Send the country back 40 years

The GOP is going through a long overdue soul searching to figure out how to win elections. Compromising with the Dems didnt work, as they tried to do under Bush. Spending like Dems to win elections didnt work. Catering to special interests ddint work.
So they are back to rediscovering what does work. And what works is: Smaller gov't, more personal responsibility, less regulation and lower taxes.
Of course they are castigated for being "mean." Of course they are called "heartless." This was so back in Reagan's time. And he was elected in a landslide both times.

Have you actually seen the bums the Tea Party is suggesting as alternatives? Send the country back 40 years

That would be about right. Back when the US was prosperous. When we worked hard and had good jobs. Tell me you believe in the "service economy hoax"??? The US middle class is getting squeezed by Wall Street who just keeps moving jobs overseas, and by the DC whores who keep giving tax breaks to move jobs overseas.

Look at the "cash for clunkers" mess. We borrowed billions from China to buy mostly foreign cars?!

Have you actually seen the bums the Tea Party is suggesting as alternatives? Send the country back 40 years

That would be about right. Back when the US was prosperous. When we worked hard and had good jobs. Tell me you believe in the "service economy hoax"??? The US middle class is getting squeezed by Wall Street who just keeps moving jobs overseas, and by the DC whores who keep giving tax breaks to move jobs overseas.

Look at the "cash for clunkers" mess. We borrowed billions from China to buy mostly foreign cars?!

Yes...40 years ago. Pre- Reagan
A time when a middle class worker could still support his family on one income. A time when a family could still send their children to college without facing bankruptcy. A time when a trip to the hospital didn't cost two years pay. A time when the mega wealthy weren't soaking up every nickle of wealth available.

New Topics

Forum List

Back