The Party has gone mad

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
bartlett.jpg

In a February appearance on The Daily Show, Bartlett said: ''Frankly, one of our political parties is insane, and we all know which one it is.''

www.theage.com.au - Fighting the right: conservatives find Republican party line hard to follow

Seriously. When your own party wants to know where their party went, you've jumped the shark.

anything different than what President Regan said.
Independents are also saying the same thing, not just Repubs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ixNPplo-SU]Reagan Government is not the solution to our problem government IS the problem - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
The republican party wants anarchy and to end government, so they showed this by selecting the original author of big gov't healthcare?

I'm confused, shouldn't Obamabots just be promoting Obama's successful accomplishments in the area of the economy?

• Banned
''Do you become more conservative? Or do you say, 'What am I doing with this crowd of lunatics?' ''

It is a question being asked increasingly often.

David Frum, the Bush speechwriter who gave us the term ''axis of evil'' in the 2002 State of the Union address, was forced out of the American Enterprise Institute think tank in 2010 after he dared challenge the campaign against Obama's healthcare reforms.

It was not that he entirely supported ''Obamacare'', just that he thought the blanket opposition was poor politics and that improving America's healthcare system was a goal noble enough to warrant some compromise.

Writing in New York magazine last year, Frum explained: ''I've been a Republican all my adult life. I have worked on the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal, at Forbes magazine, at the Manhattan and American Enterprise institutes … I believe in free markets, low taxes, reasonable regulation and limited government … But as I contemplate my party and my movement in 2011, I see things I simply cannot support.''

Economist Bruce Bartlett began his political career working for Republican Ron Paul in 1976. He went on to work for Reagan, helping to shape the economic reforms that became known as Reaganomics.

In a February appearance on The Daily Show, Bartlett said: ''Frankly, one of our political parties is insane, and we all know which one it is.''

When you discuss the Republican Party with him he seems baffled, outraged and hopeless.

''They have descended from the realm of reasonableness that was the mark of conservatism,'' he says. ''They dream of anarchy, of ending government.'' Bartlett argues a new radical right in the Republican Party will oppose anything - even good conservative policy - if Democrats agree to it.

Driven by Bartlett's friend Grover Norquist, the founder and president of Americans for Tax Reform, Republican members of Congress are urged - or bullied - into signing a pledge to support endless tax cuts.

Read more: Fighting the right: conservatives find Republican party line hard to follow

So everybody that disagrees with you is a RINO.

Wonder where y'all got that idea.

cult.jpg

No, I said Bruce Bartlett is a RINO. Does watching MSNBC cause reading comprehension issues?

Not a fan of Fox News*, but nice deflection anyway.

*The Judge, Stossel, I like.

Federal Judge Richard Posner: The GOP Has Made Me Less Conservative

Judge Richard Posner, a conservative on the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, has long been one of the nation's most respected and admired legal thinkers on the right. But in an interview with NPR, he expressed exasperation at the modern Republican Party, and confessed that he has become "less conservative" as a result.

Posner expressed admiration for President Ronald Reagan and the economist Milton Friedman, two pillars of conservatism. But over the past 10 years, Posner said, "there's been a real deterioration in conservative thinking. And that has to lead people to re-examine and modify their thinking."

"I've become less conservative since the Republican Party started becoming goofy," he said.

Federal Judge Richard Posner: The GOP Has Made Me Less Conservative

Judge Richard Posner, a conservative on the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, has long been one of the nation's most respected and admired legal thinkers on the right. But in an interview with NPR, he expressed exasperation at the modern Republican Party, and confessed that he has become "less conservative" as a result.

Posner expressed admiration for President Ronald Reagan and the economist Milton Friedman, two pillars of conservatism. But over the past 10 years, Posner said, "there's been a real deterioration in conservative thinking. And that has to lead people to re-examine and modify their thinking."

"I've become less conservative since the Republican Party started becoming goofy," he said.

I'm not sure if he's actually become less conservative, or if he only appears so by comparison to the fringe.

I am pretty sure that members of both parties become disenchanted with their party from time to time.

That is why it is great being an independent. You can support the people that best represents your ideas without the let down that Party politics tend to produce!!!

Tear up your party affiliation cards today--become an Independent!
(Did that sound a little too much like advertisement to you?)

Interesting read for people who don't panic at the sight of a blog. Two-parter.

The Angry Right Wing Voter: Have We Gone Too Far? 1/2 | Nomadic Politics

The Angry Right Wing Voter: Have We Gone Too Far? 2/2 | Nomadic Politics

According to a 1994 study, people who are angry tend to make judgments based on shortcuts- as opposed to evidence.

Anger, in particular, can short-circuit our ability to think through things, and increases our reliance on "heuristics" or mental shortcuts.

Psychologists concluded that:

(A)nger is an emotion that tells us there is a need for quick action, and thus increases heuristic information processing. Thus, when we are angry, we tend to use mental shortcuts to decide whether an argument is right.

One more interesting finding in the same study was that angry people tended to fall back on stereotypes- a kind of short-cut thinking which doesn’t rely on actual evidence.

Yet another type of mental shortcut that people use when they are angry is stereotypes. In the same study by Bodenhausen and colleagues, angry participants were more likely than sad participants to find the same set of evidence as indicative of guilt when a criminal defendant was named as "Juan Garcia" as opposed to "John Garner." Again, the angry participants went with the heuristic-- in this case, the stereotype of Latinos as criminal - rather than focusing on the evidence per se.

So, as the study suggests, people who are angry tend to be more reactive and tend to think less analytically. Experience seems to reinforce that view. All of us understand the idea behind the phrase, “And then he saw red.” The study confirms most of us already knew: anger is a blinding thing.

I am pretty sure that members of both parties become disenchanted with their party from time to time.

That is why it is great being an independent. You can support the people that best represents your ideas without the let down that Party politics tend to produce!!!

Tear up your party affiliation cards today--become an Independent!
(Did that sound a little too much like advertisement to you?)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDM_96X40BU]Richard Jeni A Big Steaming Pile Of Me CLIP - YouTube[/ame]

The republican party wants anarchy and to end government, so they showed this by selecting the original author of big gov't healthcare?

I'm confused, shouldn't Obamabots just be promoting Obama's successful accomplishments in the area of the economy?

I'm not surprised you're confused. You're one of the ones the OP's talking about. Easy to spot, they use words like "Obamabot", "Marxist", "Hussein", etc. :cool:

Forum List

Back