The Parties switched sides ....riiiiiight

For the OP topic, rerun from another thread....

"Party switch" is an inaccurate term. It implies an instant stroke, like a politician changing his party registration, which takes about a minute.

More correctly these are "party shifts", evolving over time. Significantly at the turn of the (19th>20th) century, which was the big one. In the mid-19th century the Democratic Party had been the carrier of "states rights", decentralized government, and had reach nationwide before the Republicans were founded. It also danced around the issue of slavery, as did several other parties who ceased to exist including the Whigs, trying to have it both ways.

The Republican Party upon its founding in 1854 to its credit took a decisive stand to push Abolition when Democrats, Whigs, Know Nothings, Constitutional Unionists and other dying parties were basically either trying to placate individual states or ignore altogether an issue that was not going to be ignored and which was already being addressed in Europe and its remaining colonies.

Like any political party, once that ideal was realized the next goal of the party became self-perpetuation. By the end of the 1800s the Republicans were taking on the interests of the wealthy and the corporations, while the Democrats were absorbing the Populist Party and movement, which put working-class and eventually minorities and immigrants into its camp, producing the party class divisions that still resonate now. These were represented respectively by the two Williams, McKinley and Bryan.

World war brought rapid industrialization, a lot of immigrants from Catholic and Jewish Europe, and a lot of black migration to the North and Midwest. This of course fed the bigotry of the time --- it's no accident that the Klan was re-formed exactly in this period to capitalize on that paranoia --- and the Klan as already documented tried for a time to influence politics in both parties.

Once the Great Depression hit and FDR launched the New Deal the black vote went to Democrats, joining the Catholic, Jewish, immigrant and labor union constituencies, in the 1930s and has remained there ever since.

Meanwhile the same Democratic Party was playing a bipolar game with these minorities on one hand coexisting in the same party with staunch white conservatism in the South that opposed those same constituencies (as did the Klan itself), railing against "Northern Liberals" and "civil rights" and leading to several schisms (Thurmond 1948; Wallace 1964/68/72).

The Democrats were, again, spinelessly trying to have it both ways, Liberal here, Conservative there, knowing the white South in its hyperconservatism considered association with the Republican Party unthinkable. As long as those hyperconservatives were in the same party they were in a position to block progress, which they did. FDR chipped away at it in 1936 when at the height of his power he got the party convention nomination rules changed to a simple majority (it had been 2/3) so that the Southern bloc could not block Liberals it didn't like (as it had in 1924). The 1948 convention chipped away at it again when the South heard too much talk about "civil rights" from Truman and the young mayor of Minneapolis Hubert Humphrey, and walked out to run their own candidates. Even got Truman's name wiped off the ballot in Alabama.

Thurmond then endorsed Eisenhower in the next election, and in retaliation was kicked off the Democratic ballot and ran as a write-in (which he won). Twelve years later George Wallace tendered an offer to Barry Goldwater to switch parties and run with Goldwater as his running mate. Goldwater declined and Wallace didn't make the switch but clearly the idea of "Republican" was becoming thinkable.

Clearly there were opposing dynamics and something had to give. Enter the Civil Rights Act of 1964, drafted by Kennedy five months before his death, pushed by LBJ, shepherded through Congress by Democrats Humphrey and majority leader Mike Mansfield and opposed by Democrats Thurmond, Byrd, Eastland (MS), Russell (GA) and the South in general. When that Southern contingent lost that battle, Thurmond finally acknowledged that it was after all "thinkable" to join the party that more represented his conservatism and switched to Republican, becoming the first prominent white Southern politician to do that, ninety-nine years after the Civil War ended. The divorce was, finally, final. He would be followed by other traditional Democrats including the Senator who lauded him at his 100th birthday, Trent Lott.

That's what the "party shifts" were. The former (around 1900) was a shift in the two parties' constituency; the latter (1964- ) was a shift OF a constituency to the other party. Bottom line--- both voters, and politicians, join (or switch) political parties for many more reasons than that they agree with its presumed ideology, two of which are practicality and simple tradition.

The parties changed, though over time. The republicans were once the progressive liberal party. Wanted big strong federal government power. Wanted to raise taxes to increase social programs, grant protections for African Americans, increase funding for education, large government spending projects. They were the party that was largely centered along the northern coast and large urban area's.

The Democrats were more of the rural and southern party. They wanted less federal oversight and power. Let the private sector take care of business, deregulate. They were the more conservative of the two, who were for less regulation and such.

Political Party Platforms

There's an interesting read. You can see how odd some of those platforms sound today, especially pre-Roosevelt.

What happened I've read is that with the West rapidly expanding, both parties were trying to cater to their desires. Roosevelt won out with the New Deal he had proposed. So Republicans moved off their stance and rounded up the voters opposing big government after Democrats jumped on that. By the time Eisenhower came along the parties had switched a LOT of their key votes. Before Eisenhower and that change, Hoover was the ONLY non-democrat to win in the south. And he won 444-87 (Smith only carried 6 of the 14 southern states and two others). He was the only one to break the south voting for their socially conservative democrats. Since Roosevelt, Carter (the Georgia Peanut Farmer) was the only democrat to carry the south. The voting habits did a complete 180.

Take a look, around the 1:30 mark you can see the Republican party formation. NYC, Chicago, Boston were their strong points. Democrats had the rural side. By the time you get to LBJ, you can really see that shift cruising.

One party believes we are all created in the image of God. The other party voted God out of their party.

One party swears by the document that says all men where created equal. The other party considers it an obsolete antique document.

I was around when Ike was President. Democrats objected to his agenda of letting blacks use white facilities.

I was around when Democrats voted no on the Civil Rights Act.

I was around when white supremacist George Wallace was the Democrat nominee for President as well his last day as governor in 1987.

I was around when KKK leader Robert Byrd was buried in 2010. Democrats cheered his life's accomplishments at his funeral.

And nothing has changed in the last 7 years. It's only gotten worse.

One party believes we are all created in the image of God. The other party voted God out of their party.

One party swears by the document that says all men where created equal. The other party considers it an obsolete antique document.

I was around when Ike was President. Democrats objected to his agenda of letting blacks use white facilities.

I was around when white supremacist George Wallace was the Democrat nominee for President as well his last day as governor in 1987.

I was around when KKK leader Robert Byrd was buried in 2010. Democrats cheered his life's accomplishments at his funeral.

Umm no Sprinkles. Racism isn't a political thing; it's a social thing. And unless we're talking theocracy parties ain't got nuttin' to do with "gods" either.

And no you weren't around when Wallace was a Democratic nominee for President, since that never happened. He ran for a far-right California party called the American Independent Party. That was four years after he offered to Goldwater to switch parties and be Goldwater's running mate.

Trainwreck thread.

Umm no Sprinkles. Racism isn't a political thing; it's a social thing. And unless we're talking theocracy parties ain't got nuttin' to do with "gods" either.

And no you weren't around when Wallace was a Democratic nominee for President, since that never happened. He ran for a far-right California party called the American Independent Party. That was four years after he offered to Goldwater to switch parties and be Goldwater's running mate.

Trainwreck thread.
Oh, so the narrative Republicans are racist was another lie by the left.

Thanks for playing!

Trainwreck thread.
Oh, so the narrative Republicans are racist was another lie by the left.

Thanks for playing!

Nope. It's a strawman you just trotted in. Fell right down too.

Umm no Sprinkles. Racism isn't a political thing; it's a social thing.

Racism may be a social rather than a political issue, but the OP's point stands, that the Democrats have always been the racist party, and their ridiculous attempts to try to falsely tar the Republican party with this brush notwithstanding, the Democrats remain the party of racism to this day.

Weatherman: liar extraordinare and history illiterate.
What a resume!

060117obama.jpg

Forum List

Back