The Palestine Exception to Free Speech

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Our Report, The Palestine Exception to Free Speech: A Movement Under Attack in the US documents for the first time the widespread and growing suppression of Palestinian human rights advocacy in the United States.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
Over the last decade, a dynamic movement in support of Palestinian human rights, particularly active in US colleges and universities, has helped raise public awareness regarding the Israeli government’s violations of international law, as well as the role of corporations and the US government in facilitating these abuses. This activism, fueled by Israel’s increasingly destructive assaults on Gaza, presents a robust and sustainable challenge to the longstanding orthodoxy in the United States that excuses, justifies, and otherwise supports discriminatory Israeli government policies.

Fearful of a shift in domestic public opinion, Israel’s fiercest defenders in the United States—a network of advocacy organizations, public relations firms, and think tanks—have intensified their efforts to stifle criticism of Israeli government policies. Rather than engage such criticism on its merits, these groups leverage their significant resources and lobbying power to pressure universities, government actors, and other institutions to censor or punish advocacy in support of Palestinian rights.

The Palestine Exception

Brooklyn College Students Cleared at Controversial Disciplinary Hearing

In a written decision issued last Friday, a City University of New York (CUNY) disciplinary committee exonerated Sarah Aly and Thomas DeAngelis, two Brooklyn College students charged with violating the “Henderson Rules” for taking part in a February 16 “mic check” at a meeting of faculty council. The students, seniors Sarah Aly and Thomas DeAngelis, appeared at a hearing to face harsh measures for the mic check, including possible expulsion. The day after the mic check, the college’s president and provost sent an email to the entire college community, falsely stating that the group of students had made “anti-Jewish comments” at the meeting. Palestine Legal and the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) represented the two students at the hearing and are urging Brooklyn College President Gould to apologize.

“Rather than comply with the College’s constitutional due process obligations, President Gould pre-determined these students’ guilt and callously blasted it to thousands of people in an incredible rush to judgment,” said Palestine Legal attorney Radhika Sainath, who represented Aly and DeAngelis at the five-hour disciplinary hearing. “This was a politically-motivated disciplinary process that should never have happened.”

The disciplinary committee found Aly and DeAngelis “not culpable” of three of the four charges. For the fourth, “failure to comply with lawful directions,” they received the minimum penalty, admonition.

The charges against Aly and DeAngelis reflect a well-documented pattern of politically-motivated tactics used to suppress Palestinian rights advocates across the country, including at the City University of New York.

“Even though Sarah and Thomas have been vindicated by the disciplinary process, Brooklyn College still needs to account for its shameful actions here,” said Maria LaHood, deputy legal director at the Center for Constitutional Rights. “Rather than welcoming these principled students’ engagement with important social justice issues facing Brooklyn College, President Gould immediately and publicly smeared them as having made hateful comments, and even after she was proven wrong, the University moved forward with trumped-up charges and a full-blown disciplinary hearing. Sarah and Thomas deserve an apology.”

mr tin----your citations are meaningless-----I LIVE HERE. Your filth reeks in the streets of
this town and in the state Universities. Nothing is being done to make your filth go away

mr tin----your citations are meaningless-----I LIVE HERE. Your filth reeks in the streets of
this town and in the state Universities. Nothing is being done to make your filth go away
And there is Palestine Legal, The Center for Constitutional Rights, The National Lawyers Guild, and others making sure that it does not go away.

And there is Palestine Legal, The Center for Constitutional Rights, The National Lawyers Guild, and others making sure that it does not go away.

Oh are those the same organizations trying to institute the ISLAMIC DEFINITION OF BLASPHEMY into INTERNATIONAL LAW?

Oh are those the same organizations trying to institute the ISLAMIC DEFINITION OF BLASPHEMY into INTERNATIONAL LAW?
I have never heard any of them mention it. What gave you that idea?

the idea was presented to the UN by foreign elements and advocated by sundry individuals

the idea was presented to the UN by foreign elements and advocated by sundry individuals
I don't think any of those I mentioned were involved.

Oh are those the same organizations trying to institute the ISLAMIC DEFINITION OF BLASPHEMY into INTERNATIONAL LAW?[/QU

I don't think any of those I mentioned were involved.

does not matter------the filth has been rejected

you are a joke TIN MAN-----what the slut is saying is that it is ok to BOYCOTT Israel---but people cannot BOYCOTT THE BOYCOTTERS----that whore alludes to a bad smell? SHE STINKS LIKE SHIT ------ HER black lists smell like roses but the black lists of ANYONE ELSE SMELL LIKE SHIT in her idiot opinion. It is comical------of course you can boycott----SO CAN I

It is impossible to believe in free speech articles. The last time they were used, country borders were divided, kingdoms were taken off map, and world wars were started.

It is impossible to believe in free speech articles. The last time they were used, country borders were divided, kingdoms were taken off map, and world wars were started.

I do not understand your post---"LIFE" Mr tin has presented a long video which consists of
long speeches and sophist arguments that it is illegal to object to boycotts and embargoes that he favors because he favors FREE SPEECH--- IF and only IF the speech involved is CONSISTENT which that which he supports. Boycott and embargo is the modern equivalent of starvation siege. They are legal for Mr Tin's "side" ----but not for anyone who opposes Mr Tin's side.

I do not understand your post---"LIFE" Mr tin has presented a long video which consists of
long speeches and sophist arguments that it is illegal to object to boycotts and embargoes that he favors because he favors FREE SPEECH--- IF and only IF the speech involved is CONSISTENT which that which he supports. Boycott and embargo is the modern equivalent of starvation siege. They are legal for Mr Tin's "side" ----but not for anyone who opposes Mr Tin's side.
I think you are right, and we can observe the moving of traditional wars into the legalistic domain. This makes peacetime the same as wartime by creating a legal framework to loot ordinary unsuspecting workers continuously after war. I think the bigger danger is that this legal approach is possible because there is now a sufficiently established world government, run by some elite. I think free speech is just a propaganda tool of this government and of this looting. This is why they don't want you to have an identity either, apart from the one that they invent and impose on you. It is very interesting that all sides of this conflict or any conflict want to play by this particular rule book, which is what I don't understand.

Forum List

Back