The Pain Keeps On Coming For Electric Car Owners

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
by John Hawkins Ar Rightwingnews

One day, the technology for electric cars may advance to the point where they’ll be a better deal than gasoline-powered vehicles. However, that day is not today. Today, electric cars are underpowered, overpriced golf carts with limited range and expensive replacement parts. In essence, they’re cars for the short sighted and those rich enough to buy a car just to make a statement.

That much, most people already knew.

But there’s yet another downside to electric cars that in hindsight, should have been easy to see, but in practice is just becoming widely known:*They’re very difficult to resell. The PJ Tatler » Plug-In Cars Don

The government could bail out the purchasers by buying the unwanted cars and giving them to poor people who will then need a subsidy to pay their electric bills.

Just like the car companies.

One day, the technology for electric cars may advance to the point where they’ll be a better deal than gasoline-powered vehicles. However, that day is not today. Today, electric cars are underpowered, overpriced golf carts with limited range and expensive replacement parts. In essence, they’re cars for the short sighted and those rich enough to buy a car just to make a statement.

But there’s yet another downside to electric cars that in hindsight, should have been easy to see, but in practice is just becoming widely known:*They’re very difficult to resell.

a bunch of crying about nothing.Mostly I suspect because of Obama and his perceived hand in advancing the electric car, never mind the FACT that electric cars have actually been around in some form or fashion Since Henry Ford's time.

I remember when my parents bought their first VCR , the damn thing cost them $600 Oh noway these catch on, way too much money. Now you can buy a VCR for like $20. Why is that? Oh that''s right, scale of sales.

The electric car has a place in today's market. NYC should switch their entire taxi fleet to electric cars as of yesterday, and yes GM should subsidize them however they have to to make sure they are Volts.

There is no denying the immediate impact this would have on the city of NY, and that is just one example.

Just as obviously there are situations where an electric car is not a viable solution, and that is why no one should or will be forced to buy one

But getting mad that that they are on the market , and that the government would like to see a certain percentage of new cars sold be electric is just childish.

Just The Fags misses the mark.

The Electric car is pushed as a viable replacement for the Gas Powered Automobile, which it isn't.

Remind us again what the VCR was replacing?

The Electric car is pushed as a viable replacement for the Gas Powered Automobile, which it isn't.

The VCR was designed as a replacement for the 8MM systems that were used prior.

And by the way, the electric motor was introduced in cars before the gasoline engine was and many at the time were aghast at the idea that a gasoline engine could replace an electric motor.

and NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE is suggesting we could get rid of the internal combustion engine. They are only saying that in SOME instances it is a viable alternative , and it is, whether you want to see that or not. A flee of electric taxis in an urban environment would be fine and no compromises would have to be met.

Now, I'm not about arguing with people who won't accept basic facts, so if you insist that people want to completely replace the ICE with electric motors and insist that the electric has no place in today's society, well God's speed to you.

But there’s yet another downside to electric cars that in hindsight, should have been easy to see, but in practice is just becoming widely known:*They’re very difficult to resell.

a bunch of crying about nothing.Mostly I suspect because of Obama and his perceived hand in advancing the electric car, never mind the FACT that electric cars have actually been around in some form or fashion Since Henry Ford's time.

I remember when my parents bought their first VCR , the damn thing cost them $600 Oh noway these catch on, way too much money. Now you can buy a VCR for like $20. Why is that? Oh that''s right, scale of sales.

The electric car has a place in today's market. NYC should switch their entire taxi fleet to electric cars as of yesterday, and yes GM should subsidize them however they have to to make sure they are Volts.

There is no denying the immediate impact this would have on the city of NY, and that is just one example.

Just as obviously there are situations where an electric car is not a viable solution, and that is why no one should or will be forced to buy one

But getting mad that that they are on the market , and that the government would like to see a certain percentage of new cars sold be electric is just childish.

It would be a lot cheaper and quite effective to make minor adjustments so the NYC taxi fleet could run on natural gas - just like the YCS cabs do here in Vegas!!!

And by the way, the electric motor was introduced in cars before the gasoline engine was and many at the time were aghast at the idea that a gasoline engine could replace an electric motor.

and NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE is suggesting we could get rid of the internal combustion engine. They are only saying that in SOME instances it is a viable alternative , and it is, whether you want to see that or not. A flee of electric taxis in an urban environment would be fine and no compromises would have to be met.

Now, I'm not about arguing with people who won't accept basic facts, so if you insist that people want to completely replace the ICE with electric motors and insist that the electric has no place in today's society, well God's speed to you.

A fleet of electric taxis in an urban environment would be nothing more than a bunch of rather inefficient, under powered, overpriced gasoline vehicles after about the first hour, or will you disable air conditioners and heaters?

Last edited:

A fleet of electric taxis in an urban environment would be nothing more than a bunch of rather inefficient, under powered, overpriced gasoline vehicles after about the first hour, or will you disable air conditioners and heaters?

wait , what? You contend that electric vehicles have neither a/c nor heaters?

Unfortunately, these electric cars are all Betamax's.

Logo_betamax_01.gif

Last edited:

Unfortunately, these electric cars are all Betamax's.

Logo_betamax_01.gif

What makes you say that? I mean obviously the technology is still improving, but the format is still valid.

Running A/C or heat in a pure EV puts a major dent in its range. Also, the heat (a heat pump) in an electric tends to be pretty weak.

Hybrids work well as taxis (and are already common enough, usually Escapes, Camrys, and Fusions), but true EV taxis are impractical.

Running A/C or heat in a pure EV puts a major dent in its range. Also, the heat (a heat pump) in an electric tends to be pretty weak.

Hybrids work well as taxis (and are already common enough, usually Escapes, Camrys, and Fusions), but true EV taxis are impractical.

Range is not much of a factor in a city taxi.

You have any evidence to support your claims about the heat in EVs?

Heres an article from a driver who took a trip from hell in an electric auto. Tesla denies it.

The New York Times’s John M. Broder reported Friday that the Tesla Model S electric car he was test-driving repeatedly ran out of juice, partly because cold weather reduces the battery’s range by about 10 percent.
Broder’s trip turned into a nightmare, including a stretch with the conked-out car riding the back of a flatbed truck.

Charles Lane: Obama?s electric car mistake - The Washington Post

I've seen old electric car adds from the period that talked about gasoline vehicles as "explosion engine" cars...

Marketing 101 stuff there.

There are solutions to all the hurtles of electric cars. They simply require investment.

Two such solutions are in the works

One of those are quick change batteries. You stop by a station and swap your battery pack. Not a much bigger headache than pumping gas.

Another, and even better for those used to a fill up station, is the development of liquid metal batteries where the liquid in batteries would hold a charge (I haven't read details but this is my understanding) and could be swapped out at a filling station.

Either of these solutions could work so long as there was the infrastructure in place.

Last edited:
The electric vehicles of today are not much better than the electric cars from 30-50 years ago.

The bottom line is that the biggest problem with electric cars has NEVER been resolved.......the BATTERIES.

Battery evolution has been slow, and until somebody devises a legitimate way to store "energy in a box" that is more efficient and has much better longevity, ALL electric vehicles will remain nothing more than GLORIFIED GOLF CARTS.

Forum List

Back