The PAIN is Coming = Trump's Coming Depression

And so much temptation to become like those dregs.

No temptation at all. I can't think of anything that's a more convincing cautionary tale than working with low lifes. If I was ever tempted to become a scumbag in my life (I don't recall ever being tempted) I'm permanently cured of it now.

I go home and mow my lawn even when it doesn't need it just to not be like them.

And that thought has you harder than nails, doesn’t it? Getting excited about news that will harm your fellow Americans is as cynical as it is shitty.

What harm? I am trying to lessen harm.

LOTS of people have long said America (and the West) are living on borrowed time...cheap debt. Go to ZeroHedge (for example) and you will read dozens of comments from them...many from VERY wealthy people.
And the chart below - IMO - proves it.

fredgraph.png

Velocity of M2 Money Stock

The above chart means that the higher it is - the more money is changing hands. That is good in that it means the economy is generally healthy and money is being 'recycled' over and over again. And the lows means that money is changing hands less...that is why most of the big dips are during recessions. Money is not moving because people are not spending.
Yet, look at the chart since the start of the Great Recession? It plummeted, went up a bit after the GR ended and has been falling almost ever since. And this despite the stock market booming and the economy slowly growing.
How?
Because cheap money, thanks to the Fed's ZIRP (zero interest rate policy)/QE's has encouraged people, corporations and governments to take out MASSIVE amounts of debt. So instead of existing money changing hands - new money (in the form of debt) is being created and spent. So the 'velocity' drops.
And it is now lower than it has been since the 1950's!!! And this is happening almost all over the world - heck, Japan has been doing it for decades (and their debt situation is THE worst on Earth...by miles on a debt-to-GDP measure).
BTW, the reason it has gone up slightly lately is the Fed is FINALLY starting to raise rates again.

All this debt has to be paid off eventually. And if inflation ever rears its head - lookout.

IMO, a MASSIVE crash is inevitable. Sure, the Fed will delay it as long as possible. But they cannot stop it forever, I believe.

So, please ask yourself? If you believed the economy was going to crash VERY HARD because of too much debt - would it be better if it crashed sooner (with less debt) or later (with even more debt - and thus a harder crash)?
Obviously, the former.

This crash is inevitable - even Trump talked about it during the election (and he nailed it):

Of course, he stopped talking about it the day he took office.

I want this crash to happen sooner - rather than later - so as to save Americans harm. Not to cause them harm.

If there is a "crash" and there may be. It will be no more than 20% as bad as the Bush crash.

Maybe housing prices can find some equilibrium. Plenty of jobs available, unlike the Bush days.

No Democrats forcing banks to loan money to people who can't pay it back either. Say what you will about GW, the Dems set him up for that, and he willingly went along with it.

No temptation at all. I can't think of anything that's a more convincing cautionary tale than working with low lifes. If I was ever tempted to become a scumbag in my life (I don't recall ever being tempted) I'm permanently cured of it now.

I go home and mow my lawn even when it doesn't need it just to not be like them.

You're a better man than I am. All that money and drugs you have to deal with would seem pretty tempting. I've been clean for 11 years now, praise be to God. But there was a time.

And that thought has you harder than nails, doesn’t it? Getting excited about news that will harm your fellow Americans is as cynical as it is shitty.

LOTS of people have long said America (and the West) are living on borrowed time...cheap debt. Go to ZeroHedge (for example) and you will read dozens of comments from them...many from VERY wealthy people.

fredgraph.png

The above chart means that the higher it is - the more money is changing hands. That is good in that it means the economy is generally healthy and money is being 'recycled' over and over again. And the lows means that money is changing hands less...that is why most of the big dips are during recessions. Money is not moving because people are not spending.
Yet, look at the chart since the start of the Great Recession? It plummeted, went up a bit after the GR ended and has been falling almost ever since. And this despite the stock market booming and the economy slowly growing.
How?
Because cheap money, thanks to the Fed's ZIRP (zero interest rate policy)/QE's has encouraged people, corporations and governments to take out MASSIVE amounts of debt. So instead of existing money changing hands - new money (in the form of debt) is being created and spent. So the 'velocity' drops.
And it is now lower than it has been since the 1950's!!! And this is happening almost all over the world - heck, Japan has been doing it for decades (and their debt situation is THE worst on Earth...by miles on a debt-to-GDP measure).
BTW, the reason it has gone up slightly lately is the Fed is FINALLY starting to raise rates again.

All this debt has to be paid off eventually. And if inflation ever rears its head - lookout.

IMO, a MASSIVE crash is inevitable. Sure, the Fed will delay it as long as possible. But they cannot stop it forever, I believe.

So, please ask yourself? If you believed the economy was going to crash VERY HARD because of too much debt - would it be better if it crashed sooner (with less debt) or later (with even more debt - and thus a harder crash)?
Obviously, the former.

This crash is inevitable - even Trump talked about it during the election (and he nailed it):

I want this crash to happen sooner - rather than later - so as to save Americans harm. Not to cause them harm.

If there is a "crash" and there may be. It will be no more than 20% as bad as the Bush crash.

Maybe housing prices can find some equilibrium. Plenty of jobs available, unlike the Bush days.

No Democrats forcing banks to loan money to people who can't pay it back either. Say what you will about GW, the Dems set him up for that, and he willingly went along with it.

Yeah, Clinton and W. were the driving force behind that. It didn't affect them ary a bit, sad.

I heard so many bad stories. So many. :(

They really, really fucked shit up.

fredgraph.png

How?

Obviously, the former.

Yeah, Clinton and W. were the driving force behind that. It didn't affect them ary a bit, sad.

I heard so many bad stories. So many. :(

Then there was 9/11. GW handled it pretty well but we weren't prepared for something like that. America is the most powerful country in the world, but still fragile in some respects.

You're a better man than I am. All that money and drugs you have to deal with would seem pretty tempting. I've been clean for 11 years now, praise be to God. But there was a time.

I grew up in the '70s so I've tried drugs but they've never been a thing for me. As for the money, what a street cop sees, it's chump change. I worked in telecommunications overseas for many years and there were always offers of cash for favors. But, I always responded the same way ... if you're offering me three times my projected lifetime earnings at this job paid in advance to an overseas account of my choosing, deal ... else, stick it. It's not worth the risk. No amount of money is worth jail.

I grew up in the '70s so I've tried drugs but they've never been a thing for me. As for the money, what a street cop sees, it's chump change. I worked in telecommunications overseas for many years and there were always offers of cash for favors. But, I always responded the same way ... if you're offering me three times my projected lifetime earnings at this job paid in advance to an overseas account of my choosing, deal ... else, stick it. It's not worth the risk. No amount of money is worth jail.

You just defined "decency." We're living in a time where some street thug would kill someone for a handful of dollar bills or a dime bag of coke, and never think twice about the consequences. Troubling times we live in.

You just defined "decency." We're living in a time where some street thug would kill someone for a handful of dollar bills or a dime bag of coke, and never think twice about the consequences. Troubling times we live in.

We have always lived in 'those times'. There have always been a percentage of the human race who are comfortable with killing, stealing, and doing violence for its own sake (arseholes). However, statically, we are living in the safest, least violent time in human history. Our violent crime rates globally are down. Our wars, while plentiful, are low casualty compared to those of the early 20th Century. The cognitive psychologist Steven Pinker wrote a book, 'Better Angels of Our Nature', where he compares violent death rates throughout history going back to Neolithic times (almost all of the preserved Neolithic corpses we examine died violent deaths). It turns out that we're actually becoming more civilized as time passes.

Of course, it never looks that way when you're standing in the middle of it. To a garbage man, the world always looks like a mess. You always have to have some reference against which to measure. But, generally speaking, we're making forward progress.

fredgraph.png

The above chart means that the higher it is - the more money is changing hands. That is good in that it means the economy is generally healthy and money is being 'recycled' over and over again.
The lows means that money is changing hands less...that is why most of the big dips are during recessions. Money is not moving because people are not spending.
How?
Because cheap money thanks to the Fed's ZIRP (zero interest rate policy) has encouraged people, corporations and governments to take out MASSIVE amounts of debt.
So instead of existing money changing hands - new money (in the form of debt) is being created and spent. So the 'velocity' drops.

Obviously, the former.

ZeroHedge sucks.

I call it ZeroMoney, because that’s what you’d have if you followed their advice.

What are you blathering about? ZeroHedge - itself - does not give advice.

Show me a ZeroHedge written article (NOT one they re-posted from somewhere else) that gave you specific advice about a specific financial purchase/sale? I doubt you can.

Either you have not been there or you did not read much when you did. They just give info and ideas about trends as they see them...but I have never seen a ZH-written article that gave people actual investment advice (there may have have been articles from other sources that they re-posted that did...but that is NOT ZeroHedge).

Do I like everything ZH posts? NOPE. They are too extreme for my tastes. And I wish they would stick to economics.

But they are definitely free market/Austrian School types...and that is DEFINITELY my type.

And they often post some fantastically detailed statistics that no one else does (that I have seen).

Last edited:
Many Americans were not satisfied with the annual average GDP of 2.1% during the Obama years, nor with the annual average rate of inflation of 1.4%.
Many were also not happy with the narrowing debt to GDP ration that was being experienced during the last several Obama years.

So, enter the angry, white, male Trump, Hell bent on increasing GDP at all costs.
Annualized GDP for 2017 was 2.3% & so far for 2018 GDP average is 3.3%.

OK; so far Trump's economy has increased GDP on average by 0.7% over the Obama economy. This is not a terrible feat but by no means are the Trump economy GDP numbers anything to 'write home' about.

Let's throw in other factors when looking at the larger Trump economic & GDP picture.
Inflation, and Debt are two huge factors that will weigh heavily on the Trump GDP big picture.
Combined inflation rate so far for 2017 & 2018 is 4.0% and that does NOT include very expensive factors such as FOOD & ENERGY costs.
US federal debt set a new six year high record in 2018 as a result of the Trump tax cuts that offer tax relief for the wealthiest 0.01% of individuals & for corporations.
So, even while the wealthiest individuals & corporations enjoy record tax breaks the US deficit is increasing at record pace.

Add up the numbers
So, with an increase of GDP by about ~1% we also gain massive debt, all while we should be paying down debt.
What else is going on?
Real wages are NOT increasing at any substantial level, particularly when accounting for inflation; real wages are actually DECREASING.
Consumer spending aka the largest driving force of increasing GDP is ALSO increasing private debt aka consumer debt is driving the increase in GDP.
THIS IS INSANITY!!!!!!!

Housing starts & sales are both decreasing.
Oil is about to go into free fall.
The corporations that received all of those tax breaks are NOT spreading the economic love to employees.
The equity markets are IMO set for an even further decline of 10% to 25%, or even worse.
America is about to experience some REAL PAIN economically; it's just around the corner.
Thanks Trump for the coming DEPRESSION.
Was it all worth a temporary GDP gain of ~0.7%?

:abgg2q.jpg:

There isn’t going to be a depression under Trump.

A recession maybe, but not a depression.

Oh look; someone that likes recessions!!!

You aren’t very intelligent.

Meaning what exactly? He is stupid? Intelligent but not 'very' intelligent? What?

And where is your factual proof to backup your matter-of-fact statement?

I am guessing you have zip and are just indulging in libelous nonsense again and/or flat out trolling.

We have always lived in 'those times'. There have always been a percentage of the human race who are comfortable with killing, stealing, and doing violence for its own sake (arseholes). However, statically, we are living in the safest, least violent time in human history. Our violent crime rates globally are down. Our wars, while plentiful, are low casualty compared to those of the early 20th Century. The cognitive psychologist Steven Pinker wrote a book, 'Better Angels of Our Nature', where he compares violent death rates throughout history going back to Neolithic times (almost all of the preserved Neolithic corpses we examine died violent deaths). It turns out that we're actually becoming more civilized as time passes.

Of course, it never looks that way when you're standing in the middle of it. To a garbage man, the world always looks like a mess. You always have to have some reference against which to measure. But, generally speaking, we're making forward progress.

Generally, I agree. Humanity IS getting better. But it is doing so EXTREMELY slowly, IMO.

fredgraph.png

How?

Obviously, the former.

Look at that piece of feces Trump talking about a "bubble."

Trump has contributed greatly to the EXPANSION of that bubble.

Trump is so fake, he makes 'fake news' look like Jesus.

BUT just think how lucky you are; your job is, "recession proof."

Yes, we will never be short of morons.

Well, I have said for decades, Americans are stupid so, we agree on one thing.

I don't for a moment believe that all Americans are stupid. I've lived and worked all over the world and so I can compare what we have here to what others have built and I believe we've done quite well.

There are, however, a special breed of entitled morons who interact with police on a regular basis and make up the bulk of any policeman's customer base.

Prior to becoming a cop, I never really thought they existed. Joining the department opened my eyes to a new and disturbing world.

So, it took you becoming LE to figure out what I have known for many decades?

LOL

You prove my point, yet again.

Congrats. See you next time you call police.

It is USELESS trying to get help from LE; I finally told them to go fvck off.

Yes, we will never be short of morons.

Well, I have said for decades, Americans are stupid so, we agree on one thing.

I don't for a moment believe that all Americans are stupid. I've lived and worked all over the world and so I can compare what we have here to what others have built and I believe we've done quite well.

There are, however, a special breed of entitled morons who interact with police on a regular basis and make up the bulk of any policeman's customer base.

Prior to becoming a cop, I never really thought they existed. Joining the department opened my eyes to a new and disturbing world.

So, it took you becoming LE to figure out what I have known for many decades?

LOL

You prove my point, yet again.

Congrats. See you next time you call police.

It is USELESS trying to get help from LE; I finally told them to go fvck off.

Yea ... I agree. Those damn cops have to enforce the laws equally between parties and won't just do what you tell them. Bastards!

THIS IS INSANITY!!!!!!!

Especially given some of us already lived the very same senario....
Ronald_Reagan_televised_address_from_the_Oval_Office%2C_outlining_plan_for_Tax_Reduction_Legislation_July_1981.jpg

Holy Crap Batman!!! That is Ronny RayGun; father of the 'modern exponentially increasing deficit'

I voted for that ass hat in the 1980 POTUS election = huge mistake, which I did not make a second time :113:

'supply side' .... 'trickle down' .... whatever these assholes wanna call it IT NEVER WORKS unless we call getting US into a recession, or a depression every time working.

Yep; these Republicans, they do it every goddamn time. :9:

Many Americans were not satisfied with the annual average GDP of 2.1% during the Obama years, nor with the annual average rate of inflation of 1.4%.
Many were also not happy with the narrowing debt to GDP ration that was being experienced during the last several Obama years.

So, enter the angry, white, male Trump, Hell bent on increasing GDP at all costs.
Annualized GDP for 2017 was 2.3% & so far for 2018 GDP average is 3.3%.

OK; so far Trump's economy has increased GDP on average by 0.7% over the Obama economy. This is not a terrible feat but by no means are the Trump economy GDP numbers anything to 'write home' about.

Let's throw in other factors when looking at the larger Trump economic & GDP picture.
Inflation, and Debt are two huge factors that will weigh heavily on the Trump GDP big picture.
Combined inflation rate so far for 2017 & 2018 is 4.0% and that does NOT include very expensive factors such as FOOD & ENERGY costs.
US federal debt set a new six year high record in 2018 as a result of the Trump tax cuts that offer tax relief for the wealthiest 0.01% of individuals & for corporations.
So, even while the wealthiest individuals & corporations enjoy record tax breaks the US deficit is increasing at record pace.

Add up the numbers
So, with an increase of GDP by about ~1% we also gain massive debt, all while we should be paying down debt.
What else is going on?
Real wages are NOT increasing at any substantial level, particularly when accounting for inflation; real wages are actually DECREASING.
Consumer spending aka the largest driving force of increasing GDP is ALSO increasing private debt aka consumer debt is driving the increase in GDP.
THIS IS INSANITY!!!!!!!

Housing starts & sales are both decreasing.
Oil is about to go into free fall.
The corporations that received all of those tax breaks are NOT spreading the economic love to employees.
The equity markets are IMO set for an even further decline of 10% to 25%, or even worse.
America is about to experience some REAL PAIN economically; it's just around the corner.
Thanks Trump for the coming DEPRESSION.
Was it all worth a temporary GDP gain of ~0.7%?

:abgg2q.jpg:

There isn’t going to be a depression under Trump.

A recession maybe, but not a depression.

Oh look; someone that likes recessions!!!

You aren’t very intelligent.

Meaning what exactly? He is stupid? Intelligent but not 'very' intelligent? What?

And where is your factual proof to backup your matter-of-fact statement?

I am guessing you have zip and are just indulging in libelous nonsense again and/or flat out trolling.

When I responded that nothing he posted presaged a depression, he responded that I must like recessions.

That makes him unintelligent.

And since your response was also unintelligent, I can make the same conclusion about you.

fredgraph.png

The above chart means that the higher it is - the more money is changing hands. That is good in that it means the economy is generally healthy and money is being 'recycled' over and over again.
The lows means that money is changing hands less...that is why most of the big dips are during recessions. Money is not moving because people are not spending.
How?
Because cheap money thanks to the Fed's ZIRP (zero interest rate policy) has encouraged people, corporations and governments to take out MASSIVE amounts of debt.
So instead of existing money changing hands - new money (in the form of debt) is being created and spent. So the 'velocity' drops.

Obviously, the former.

ZeroHedge sucks.

I call it ZeroMoney, because that’s what you’d have if you followed their advice.

What are you blathering about? ZeroHedge - itself - does not give advice.

Show me a ZeroHedge written article (NOT one they re-posted from somewhere else) that gave you specific advice about a specific financial purchase/sale? I doubt you can.

Either you have not been there or you did not read much when you did. They just give info and ideas about trends as they see them...but I have never seen a ZH-written article that gave people actual investment advice (there may have have been articles from other sources that they re-posted that did...but that is NOT ZeroHedge).

Do I like everything ZH posts? NOPE. They are too extreme for my tastes. And I wish they would stick to economics.

But they are definitely free market/Austrian School types...and that is DEFINITELY my type.

And they often post some fantastically detailed statistics that no one else does (that I have seen).

:lol:

s0n, not only have I read Socialism by Ludwig von Mises - which still resides on my shelf - and many other similar books, I was an Ayn Rand Objectivist before I entered RL. I have spent the past 25 years in the capital markets, and I used to read ZeroMoney daily when it was first launched. As someone who makes a living managing large pools of capital, I soon realized that ZeroMoney is primarily about ideology, not finance and economics. For every one article that’s good on that site, 100 are nonsense. And I’m saying that as someone who has made more money in the gold markets than all the Tyler Durdens combined.

Forum List

Back