The "Other" in you

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
Like most boards USMB has a large contingency of both Conservatives and Liberals. We all read each others posts, picking them apart or gleaning some new outlook from a different perspective.

While this rarely changes our complete political outlook, it surely dilutes it somewhat. There are some aspects of our counterpart's ideology that makes perfect sense. If you describe yourself as a Conservative, what about Liberalism do you find wise? Likewise, if you are a Liberal, what has a Conservative said that makes sense?

For instance: I have a sterling record here as a Liberal. But I can't make "Politically Correct Speech" work for me as a tenet of my politics. I find PC to not only be stifling, but an affront to my free speech beliefs.

Like most boards USMB has a large contingency of both Conservatives and Liberals. We all read each others posts, picking them apart or gleaning some new outlook from a different perspective.

While this rarely changes our complete political outlook, it surely dilutes it somewhat. There are some aspects of our counterpart's ideology that makes perfect sense. If you describe yourself as a Conservative, what about Liberalism do you find wise? Likewise, if you are a Liberal, what has a Conservative said that makes sense?

For instance: I have a sterling record here as a Liberal. But I can't make "Politically Correct Speech" work for me as a tenet of my politics. I find PC to not only be stifling, but an affront to my free speech beliefs.

As a conservative, I agree with the liberal belief that gays should be afforded the right to marry and women have the right to choose.

Ironically, I see them as conservative beliefs and part of the "personal responsibility" ideology that guides my life.

Cya Sunday at 6:30 Nosmo. Gonna be a thriller. (From NY here)

As a conservative, I agree with the liberal belief that gays should be afforded the right to marry and women have the right to choose.

Ironically, I see them as conservative beliefs and part of the "personal responsibility" ideology that guides my life.

That's what happens when folks place the template of their faith over their politics. American Taliban.

And I hope there's a good physical therapy rehab program for Mark Sanchez. He hasn't had Polamalu draped across his shoulders yet!

The Conservative part of me wishes death upon all Liberals. But my "Inner Liberal" tells me I should be civil so I compromise and only wish death upon half of all Liberals.

That's what happens when folks place the template of their faith over their politics. American Taliban.

And I hope there's a good physical therapy rehab program for Mark Sanchez. He hasn't had Polamalu draped across his shoulders yet!

As a die hard fan, if you asked me 2 weeks ago if the Jets would get passed Manning, I would have said "no, but it is great they made the playoffs."

Last week against Brady?" No, but at least they beat Manning."

As for this Sunday? I gotta tell you....I am impressed with the mid week adjustments they have been making. Seems they take the film watching very seriously. I feel confident we will see a great game.

As a die hard fan, if you asked me 2 weeks ago if the Jets would get passed Manning, I would have said "no, but it is great they made the playoffs."

Last week against Brady?" No, but at least they beat Manning."

As for this Sunday? I gotta tell you....I am impressed with the mid week adjustments they have been making. Seems they take the film watching very seriously. I feel confident we will see a great game.
The Jets are for real. This is the second year in a row they play the AFC Championship. But they beat Manning, they beat Brady. Quarterbacks. Sunday, they will have to beat a defense that makes pate out of quaterbacks.

When anyone posts well with facts and sincerity, I think very hard about their post and many times agree with them even if it is a perspective I hadn't considered before. But when it is enmeshed with foul language and bashing of the other party, I generally don't take the time to even think about their post.

I don't mind most language, but sometimes it is so filled with anger, it is hard to get the meaning of the post.

Last edited:

There is nothing "wise" about liberalism.

And it's the lust for knowledge and open mindedness of Conservatives that is just too compelling.:cool:

And it's the lust for knowledge and open mindedness of Conservatives that is just too compelling.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
And we're supposed to think this is a typical American Liberal? Funny. I would have posted a photo of some toothless, white-trash tailer park denizen cleaning his gun with his Bible and called that typical Conservative, but we both know that sort of thing is sophomoric and cheap. Thanks for your well reasoned input.

<now if I can just get my tongue from my cheek>

And we're supposed to think this is a typical American Liberal? Funny. I would have posted a photo of some toothless, white-trash tailer park denizen cleaning his gun with his Bible and called that typical Conservative, but we both know that sort of thing is sophomoric and cheap. Thanks for your well reasoned input.

<now if I can just get my tongue from my cheek>

Truth hurts huh?

I am neither conservative nor liberal, but this is what I agree with both groups on.

Conservatives: Lower taxes, lower spending, infinitely less government, self-responsibility and accountability, Second Amendment, Tenth Amendment, repealing the 16th and 17th Amendments, private property rights, views on climate change, apprehensiveness towards unions, opposition to frivolous lawsuits.

Liberals: Freedom of speech and expression, keeping religion out of the government, civil rights, allowing gays to marry and be in the military, staying out of international conflicts that aren't our business, no nation or international empire building, legalizing drugs, repealing NAFTA, 4th Amendment.

Forum List

Back