The OSS

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Last night I was watching Jeopardy,and a they had a question about the predecessor to the CIA. ALL 3 contestants got the question wrong.

I became fascinated with the OSS as a kid in high school, I used to read a lot of WW2 books that I borrowed from my dad.

Anyone else interested in the OSS? Did YOU know it was started during WW2, and is now today's CIA?

Here is something from Wiki to get you started, but there are many great books out there if you're interested.

Office of Strategic Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
The OSS was a dismal failure you know.

Wildman Donovan sent spy after spy into NAZI germany and they were all killed, or turned around.

Read the Legacy of Ashes, if you really want a clue just how incompetently run our Intel agencies have been for the last 60+ years.

The OSS was a dismal failure you know.

Wildman Donovan sent spy after spy into NAZI germany and they were all killed, or turned around.

Read the Legacy of Ashes, if you really want a clue just how incompetently run our Intel agencies have been for the last 60+ years.

I googled the book, thanks editec, it looks like an interesting read.

I'm just saying I think the history of the OSS is fascinating. It was a different world back in the 40's, and the way things came about during the war.

Many men were killed during WW2, the ones in the OSS died as honorably as those who fought in battles imo.

I liked all of them - think of the catch phrases :D

eg "I know nothing!"

Thankfully Wikipedia - the collective knowledge of the planet - came to my aid.

OSS (series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

1957-1958 season - that's why you don't remember it :lol:

Thanks Diuretic! ;)

Sorry, wasn't even born yet....but I wasn't alive during WW2 either, but LOVE to learn all I can about it! Fascinating!

I remember it, it was actually a really good series although I suppose were it shown today it would be dated. I can't remember if it was in that series or another film I saw (also monochrome) that featured some American agents in occupied France and one agent forgot himself as he and his colleagues were dining in a French (I think it was in France) and did the American-style cut up the food and use the fork in the right hand. Lots of stares from the other patrons as he did so. Funny how something like that can stick in the mind. But then I'm full of trivia :D

I remember it, it was actually a really good series although I suppose were it shown today it would be dated. I can't remember if it was in that series or another film I saw (also monochrome) that featured some American agents in occupied France and one agent forgot himself as he and his colleagues were dining in a French (I think it was in France) and did the American-style cut up the food and use the fork in the right hand. Lots of stares from the other patrons as he did so. Funny how something like that can stick in the mind. But then I'm full of trivia :D

Wasn't that in the Great Escape?

Actually when I cut my food I use the knife in my right hand but when I eat without cutting I use my right to hold the fork. To messy the other way.

Wasn't that in the Great Escape?

Actually when I cut my food I use the knife in my right hand but when I eat without cutting I use my right to hold the fork. To messy the other way.

Could've been Rock but my fragile memory is replaying a scene in monochrome...but hey my memory could have faded so you could well be right :D

I must admit I use both methods. I do remember seeing (on film) an American criticising the European method in terms of not "piling" food on the fork. And I can see the point. It can look gross.

I have been accused of "picking" because I chose to not "pile" food on the fork :redface:

Now, about chopsticks :D

I googled the book, thanks editec, it looks like an interesting read.

I'm just saying I think the history of the OSS is fascinating. It was a different world back in the 40's, and the way things came about during the war.

Many men were killed during WW2, the ones in the OSS died as honorably as those who fought in battles imo.

They died like dogs by the hundreds thanks to the OSS, EZ.

Most of them were picked up within minutes of parachuting behind the lines.

Starting with OSS and continuing with the CIA, America has never really had very effective HUMIT intelligence programs.

Where we seem to excel is in gathering information through technology, and of course buying allies in nations in which we hope to to topple governments by fifth columists.

Read that book, I suggested. As an American patriot, I'm sure you'll cringe as I did, when you realize how much money we've spend and how little we really got for those investments.

I've pondered this shortcoming, and have concluded that since Americans are somewhat pyschologically isolated from other cultures, we simply do not have the kinds of people suited to infiltrating other cultures or understanding them.

I'll also venture a guess that since we discourage the study of humanities and social sciences (and those are the disiplines where people learn to understand alien cultures) our best and brightest really just aren't equipped to run effective HUMIT programs.

Unlike the British, unlike the Israelis, too.

Good thing we have them as allies, eh?

Forum List

Back