The Order of the Cincinnati?

Russell

Jul 6, 2011
Hi All.
After the Revolutionary War, there were some generals and officers who saw themselves as "knights in shining armor" who championed the cause of liberty, freedom and the common people, and for these actions they should be equated to the dukes, earls and barons of England and Europe. They thought of themselves as America's "nobility". To this end, these individuals created the "Order of the Cincinnati", and created a crest (coat of arms) for it consisting of a flying winged angel holding a ribbon tied into a bow from which hung a spread eagle pendant. Not to be out done by their English and European counterparts, America's new nobility sent designs to China so that porcelain dinner services emblazoned with the crest of the Order of the Cincinnati could be manufactured. A single dish from one such service, produced in 1785 was sold at Christies Auction House on 01-21-06 (Sale 1618, Lot 553); the price realized was $54,000.00. When the people found out about the plans of the Order of the Cincinnati, they blew their tops. Faced with being tarred and feathered or worse, the Order went underground. They did re-surface in 1894 and are still around. I mention this because I'm wondering if there are people out there, like me, who feel that politicians believe "public service" is ennobling and renders them eligible to join the Order of the Cincinnati? Thanks. Russ

Forum List

Back