THE Op-Ed post election

clevergirl

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2009
<snip>I'm a lifelong Republican, but I've never agreed with my party's positions on most social issues for the simple reason that I've never been able to reconcile them with our historical ideals of personal freedom and limited government. After all, if you truly cherish freedom and believe the scope of the government should be limited to the powers enumerated in the Constitution, it's hard to rationalize such intrusive social policies as prohibitions on gay marriage and a woman's right to make choices about her own body.

Similarly, I've never been able to rationalize hard-line attacks on immigration given our reliance on immigrant labor and our origins as an immigrant nation.

Still, I've largely supported and mostly voted for Republicans out of a belief that they would do a better job overall of limiting government and protecting the homeland (beliefs that I will admit, at times, have been based more on my hopes for the future than my knowledge of the past). And, for me, those two issues have always seemed to trump all others.<snip>

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/2...8197_105542621_514341068584738#f3d1959e0103b8

Forum List

Back