The only thing that can really save our country in the long run

He still represents the millionaire too. Why are the needs of a millionaire more important than the needs of a bum?

One man....one vote

Cornerstone of the United States

Who said the needs of one were more important? No one.
The person with a stake in the system ought to have more say than someone who just benefits without paying in. The person who has demonstrated some kind of ability and drive deserves to have a say, while the person who has a demonstrated history of incompetence does not.

So why not just allocate your voting power according to the size of your checkbook?
How about how the Founders originally wanted to do it by the amount of LAND that you owned?

Guess what? They opeted to give the right to vote in Federal Elections to the States.

Nowhere in the Constitution is there such a right to vote in a Federal Election.

Gramps is a liberal? Hilarious.

Vote Dem, only thing that will help. In this case, only they want to get money out of politics. When will the dupes ever learn?

Term limits for Congress.

I believe it really is that simple. Term limits would relieve a lot of the financial corruption that leads to bad laws and regulations. If a congressman didn't have to focus so much of his time trying to appease donors and influential figures they could instead focus on the issues that face our country.
Either party couldn't threaten members to vote a certain way or lose reelection funding. Career politicians will always put their own careers ahead of our countries best interest.
It could also prevent either the left or the right from drastically altering the direction of this country.

On a related topic I believe that elections should have both monetary restrictions placed on them. Ads should be restricted to public television with limits placed on them. Remove the need for huge cash investments in campaigns and we remove the tool for a lot of the corruption that begins before a candidate even takes office.

Here we go agian. Another liberal wants to write enough laws that government can manage itself. 'if we just make the bureaucracy big enough, then the bureaucracy will no longer be a bureaucracy'. Quit being a fucking bum and manage your own government. You already have term limits just vote them out.

What your really talking about is stripping the freedom of choice from the citizens. It sounds like a great plan provided its a shitbag that the people hate, but what if its a congressman like Ron Paul who has been elected 12 times?

No, the solution is to return to the constitution and strip federal government of most of its power. That power should return to the states, and thus to the people. When citizens know they have a greater stake in whats going on there will be more participation. It dilutes corporate power into 50 governments instead of one.

As usual, government is the problem. It is not the solution. Expansion of government will only create more problems.

How the fuck is imposing term limits growing the govt? Do tell.....

And by the way Paul has been one of the least effective congressmen of all time. All those years in congress and all the money spent supporting him through his position and all he has to show for it is one fucking law that passed. And that law was to sell a piece of property for historical purposes. What a joke.

And one of Pauls lost causes is the idea that we should have term limits... Grats, you sound like Paul more and more everyday.

#64-...like Pubs are going to get rid of bureaucrats LOL. The POLICIES the 2 parties actually try to pass is the only criteria...as the naive Tea Party, red necks, and libertarians get sucked back into the elitist, greedy Pubs...suckers...

Last edited:
#64-...like Pubs are going to get rid of bureaucrats LOL. The POLICIES the 2 parties actually try to pass is the only criteria...as the naive Tea Party, red necks, and libertarians get sucked back into the elitist, greedy Pubs...suckers...
YOU only ASSUME they are like YOU. Weak minded sheep.

Individuals with minds of thier own will always overcome sheep like you.

The problem with term limits is we'd be throwing out the baby with the bathwater because there are some reps who are worth keeping. I believe a much more effective amendment would be the elimination of PACs, lobbying, and the transfer of anything of value to any representative by anyone for any reason -- and imposition of severe criminal penalties for violations.

Elections should be financed with public money.

YOU only ASSUME they are like YOU. Weak minded sheep.

Individuals with minds of thier own will always overcome sheep like you.

Like I think they're like me. LOL. AGAIN- I only care about the POLICIES they try and pass. It's the dupes who believe about small gov't, family values, abortion, jobs jobs jobs lol. You believe some slick, bought off, lying A-HOLES LOL.

Here we go agian. Another liberal wants to write enough laws that government can manage itself. 'if we just make the bureaucracy big enough, then the bureaucracy will no longer be a bureaucracy'. Quit being a fucking bum and manage your own government. You already have term limits just vote them out.

What your really talking about is stripping the freedom of choice from the citizens. It sounds like a great plan provided its a shitbag that the people hate, but what if its a congressman like Ron Paul who has been elected 12 times?

No, the solution is to return to the constitution and strip federal government of most of its power. That power should return to the states, and thus to the people. When citizens know they have a greater stake in whats going on there will be more participation. It dilutes corporate power into 50 governments instead of one.

As usual, government is the problem. It is not the solution. Expansion of government will only create more problems.

How the fuck is imposing term limits growing the govt? Do tell.....

And by the way Paul has been one of the least effective congressmen of all time. All those years in congress and all the money spent supporting him through his position and all he has to show for it is one fucking law that passed. And that law was to sell a piece of property for historical purposes. What a joke.

And one of Pauls lost causes is the idea that we should have term limits... Grats, you sound like Paul more and more everyday.

I've said on several occasions that Paul has many good ideas. But at the same time I believe his foreign policy is too dangerous.

I shouldn't even respond to you though because it just encourages wateronthebrain to troll sadly.

I believe it really is that simple. Term limits would relieve a lot of the financial corruption that leads to bad laws and regulations. If a congressman didn't have to focus so much of his time trying to appease donors and influential figures they could instead focus on the issues that face our country.
Either party couldn't threaten members to vote a certain way or lose reelection funding. Career politicians will always put their own careers ahead of our countries best interest.
It could also prevent either the left or the right from drastically altering the direction of this country.

On a related topic I believe that elections should have both monetary restrictions placed on them. Ads should be restricted to public television with limits placed on them. Remove the need for huge cash investments in campaigns and we remove the tool for a lot of the corruption that begins before a candidate even takes office.

Should remove the need for cash completely to join the race.

Other than that I completely agree.

Term limits maybe maybe not.
Major campaign finance reform, Yes.
Just my two cents.

Yep Campaign Finance Reform is needed, and I Personally favor 1 Longer Term. I like the Idea of Never having any of our Representatives thinking about the Next Election instead of what needs to be done, but I doubt that would get much support.

If Obama ends up with another term we will see a fine example of what wrong with Leaders worrying about Elections. In Obama's Case it will mean we will finally see just how liberal he really is. Which will make his base happy at least. After 4 Years of worrying about re-election he will in his second term be free to go all out for his Agenda because he does not have to pretend anymore.

I would rather have our President, Left wing or right. Have 1 Term, Maybe longer but only 1, So that the entire time they are leading, they are doing what they think is best for the country, and not what they think they need to do to get re-elected. For better or worse.

I'll do you a few better.

A) 2 term limit in the Senate, and 3 for the House with a 12 year max at any position, Singly or consecutively. That will give up to 12 years in office in the legislature at the federal level.

B) A lifetime elected office limit of 24 years total time at ANY level from local to federal, with the exception of President.

C) A mandatory retirement from unelected OR appointed government service at 20 years total time for any level or position, with an exemption for Police/Rescue/Medical services and the Military. Pensions cannot be more than 50% for life or 20 years, whichever comes first

D) A bar to employment by former politicians or bureaucrats for any industry that deals in government contracts, law, lobbying or newsmedia for 10 years after leaving their most recent term of service or elected office.

Politicians are like produce on the grocery shelf. If law did not force bad/old/dangerous food off the shelf because it was spoiled, many unscrupulous stores would continue to try and sell it. This is why you must have law based term limits and protections for the voting populace. Because otherwise, someone's going to pull the wool over their eyes, and it is the general trend that the longer a congresscritter at ANY level is out of the private sector living as a government worker/bureaucrat/official, they tend to get more corrupt and forget they are not royalty.

"Politicians are like diapers, and they both should be changed for the same reasons." Unknown

Right diagnosis, wrong prescription.

Major governmental reform is the only way we'll see a third century IMHO. We no longer have representatives of good faith in Washington.

Here is where you're mistaken.

Term limits are not going to get rid of professional politicians. You'll just get professional politicians who are on the stage for shorter amounts of time. The idea that you'll get a better stripe of elected official is, well, foolish.

As for the corruption of big money, again, right diagnosis, wrong prescription. Here is what we need to do. The FCC, using it's regulatory power (I can hear you now..."boo, hiss"), mandates that in every federal level election (HOR, Senate, President), the candidates who are on the ballot in that state get free advertising for 14 days prior to the election. If a station takes PAC money, they have to offer equal time to the opposition. This is a two week statute every two years...the "injury" from this regulation is almost non-existent and the FCC is within it's rights to stipulate this for the license that the TV/Radio receive. I would not extend it to print media since the FCC does not have a regulatory role with news papers to the best of my knowledge.

Laws that do what the American People are not willing to do are not the answer. The only thing that will save the republic is an engaged populous. Engagement is enabled by leveling the playing field.

We get the government we deserve.

Should remove the need for cash completely to join the race.

Other than that I completely agree.

We should just elect people for life and be done with it.
DO you think about this before you post, or is it just automatic?

Right diagnosis, wrong prescription.

Major governmental reform is the only way we'll see a third century IMHO. We no longer have representatives of good faith in Washington.

Here is where you're mistaken.

Term limits are not going to get rid of professional politicians. You'll just get professional politicians who are on the stage for shorter amounts of time. The idea that you'll get a better stripe of elected official is, well, foolish.

As for the corruption of big money, again, right diagnosis, wrong prescription. Here is what we need to do. The FCC, using it's regulatory power (I can hear you now..."boo, hiss"), mandates that in every federal level election (HOR, Senate, President), the candidates who are on the ballot in that state get free advertising for 14 days prior to the election. If a station takes PAC money, they have to offer equal time to the opposition. This is a two week statute every two years...the "injury" from this regulation is almost non-existent and the FCC is within it's rights to stipulate this for the license that the TV/Radio receive. I would not extend it to print media since the FCC does not have a regulatory role with news papers to the best of my knowledge.

Laws that do what the American People are not willing to do are not the answer. The only thing that will save the republic is an engaged populous. Engagement is enabled by leveling the playing field.

We get the government we deserve.
Although I disagree with you about term limits, I like your FCC solution to a degree. It needs some fine tuning, but the principle is good.

Just remember this, when you look at congressional scandals like say the S&L crisis, only one of the Keating 5 had less than 12 years in office, and that was John McCain. All the others had 3 plus terms in office as senators, and one had 6 terms. For an insurance agency, that makes a pretty grim actuarial table about senators and corruption.

Forum List

Back