The Only Thing About OWS I Find Even Vaguely Understandable

As a seasoned bulk shopper I can say.

Getting started is the hardest, especially if you have little income. It takes months to build up supplies. It is not easily started by those desperate for simple necessities. In some cases the cheaper way to go would be the double cheeseburger. You dont pay for storage or preparation.

I'm also a seasoned bulk shopper . . . always have been. And? Who said anything about easy? It's easier for me to order a pizza rather than shop, prepare, cook meals every night.

No, the cheaper way is to buy in bulk and put the time in in preparation; the easier way is to go drive-thru.

Add up how much it costs per lb. of meat at McD's vs. buying in bulk/home prep. Home cooked is cheaper.

We dont disagree, home preparation is the cheapest way to go, but not in all cases. The individual circumstances dictate that, but as a general rule you are very correct.

Now the question or the thing I have been searching for. Big bulk shrimp. Havent found it yet. You?

No, because my dorky family doesn't like seafood. Dorks! We eat a lot of chicken! lol

I think emotional exhaustion plays a role too.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm more inclined to devour disgusting fast food when I'm in a 'fuck it' mood.

When your piss broke and in a sour 'fuck it' mood all the time... Lo and behold...

It is true that fatty, unhealthy prepared foods are cheaper than their healthy counterparts. But if you were so inclined to purchase ingredients and prepare food yourself, I agree that it's cheaper.

I'm also a seasoned bulk shopper . . . always have been. And? Who said anything about easy? It's easier for me to order a pizza rather than shop, prepare, cook meals every night.

No, the cheaper way is to buy in bulk and put the time in in preparation; the easier way is to go drive-thru.

Add up how much it costs per lb. of meat at McD's vs. buying in bulk/home prep. Home cooked is cheaper.

We dont disagree, home preparation is the cheapest way to go, but not in all cases. The individual circumstances dictate that, but as a general rule you are very correct.

Now the question or the thing I have been searching for. Big bulk shrimp. Havent found it yet. You?

No, because my dorky family doesn't like seafood. Dorks! We eat a lot of chicken! lol

Katie hates seafood. So I feel your pain! I LOVE seafood, including sushi, and especially sushi, and my woman can't even stand the smell of it!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm more inclined to devour disgusting fast food when I'm in a 'fuck it' mood.

When your piss broke and in a sour 'fuck it' mood all the time... Lo and behold...

It is true that fatty, unhealthy prepared foods are cheaper than their healthy counterparts. But if you were so inclined to purchase ingredients and prepare food yourself, I agree that it's cheaper.

Know what perpetuates that 'fuck it' mood and also makes you generally fatigued? Low blood sugar. Know what keeps your blood sugar on a roller coaster? Crappy drive-through food, crappy boxed/bagged sugary foods.

While time-consuming (but with practice it becomes much less so), setting aside a Sunday afternoon preparing and freezing a weeks worth of meals is very doable, even by poor folks.

:lol: Bummer, Us too! I am just so partial those fresh water prawns. 12 to 16 count being the sweetest.

Okay, these folks have me convinced that they're mostly just a bunch of whackjobs. Here's the blurb from Wiki:

The participants of the events are mainly protesting against social and economic inequality, corporate greed, and the influence of corporate money and lobbyists on government, among other concerns.[10][11] Adbusters states that, "Beginning from one simple demand – a presidential commission to separate money from politics – we start setting the agenda for a new America."

So what are they gonna do? Pass laws that people can't get TOO rich? Will we have statutes against emotions / character flaws?
"The citizens shall not be jealous, sentimental or greedy..." WTF?

The only thing I can understand is the concern about corporate influence and lobbyists. Hell, I can even agree that's bad for our government.

I wonder. Will it also apply to unions?

Why is it you find it hard to understand gettting the money out of our election system?

Know what perpetuates that 'fuck it' mood and also makes you generally fatigued? Low blood sugar. Know what keeps your blood sugar on a roller coaster? Crappy drive-through food, crappy boxed/bagged sugary foods.

While time-consuming (but with practice it becomes much less so), setting aside a Sunday afternoon preparing and freezing a weeks worth of meals is very doable, even by poor folks.

Agreed, it's a self-perpetuating problem.

But then, so is poverty in general. :dunno:

hehehehe

only in America can left wing nutbars bitch about obesity and poverty in the same breath.

Are you truly that clueless? Tell me, what costs more: the dollar menu at McDonalds or a healthy, home cooked meal with fresh meat and vegetables?

Well, there should be lots of time to tend a garden for their own veggies since uncle sam hasn't provided a living for them. I know it takes a bit of effort so likely not a viable option.

WHERE????

where does an apartment dewller plan a garden?

Getting started is the hardest, especially if you have little income. It takes months to build up supplies. It is not easily started by those desperate for simple necessities. In some cases the cheaper way to go would be the double cheeseburger. You dont pay for storage or preparation.

Starting in about a week, if you drive on down here, I'll sell you all the shrimp you want for $400 a box.

Which is cheaper? Chicken at $1.99/lb or chicken at $3.99/lb. or 'chicken' from McD's at $8.00/lb? What's preventing them from buying in bulk and preparing home cooked meals?

You do not understand poverty.

when you have ten bucks to feed the family dinner and no other money you can not bulk shop

You think the wall street protests will help the republican party?

You are really brainwashed

when you have ten bucks to feed the family dinner and no other money you can not bulk shop

Ten bucks will buy you some rice, some beans, and some tomatoes.. that's all ya need to fill your belly and it's all healthy too. I can cook a good meal for ten bucks..

Starting in about a week, if you drive on down here, I'll sell you all the shrimp you want for $400 a box.

400 a box? what is the weight or count? I could be interested.

Of course you can. For that $10 you can purchase a family pack of boneless chicken on sale; two 5lb bags of potatoes on a bogo sale (thus having them for future meals); couple of cans or frozen bags of veggies on sale.

I wonder why these people were not supporting the TEA Parties.

Because to do that, they would have to have believed that corporations have too much influence on the government, and that we need to end the wars, AND that universal health care is a communist plot, AND that gay rights is an agenda to undermine the nation's moral fabric, AND that the banks that caused this whole mess should be deregulated even more, AND that the government should never borrow money, AND that basic government services like building infrastructure and supporting basic research amounts to unconscionable tyranny, AND that there should be no government support for education . . .

Of course much of that is the fault of the co-option of the Tea Party accomplished by the GOP and big money, and wasn't in the original movement. But regardless, agreement on an issue or two is not sufficient for full support, when so much of what the movement stands for is cockeyed and crazy.

What seems to be happening at this point, though, is that Tea Party people who were part of the original movement, and are dismayed at how it was co-opted, are coming out in support of OWS. So in one direction or another, the merger of the best of both is happening.

Of course you can. For that $10 you can purchase a family pack of boneless chicken on sale; two 5lb bags of potatoes on a bogo sale (thus having them for future meals); couple of cans or frozen bags of veggies on sale.

I live alone and don't go to any restaurants anymore. I spend $25.00 a week for food. Nice.

Katie hates seafood. So I feel your pain! I LOVE seafood, including sushi, and especially sushi, and my woman can't even stand the smell of it!

I had never had sushi until my brother made some several years ago and bought it over for a family get together. I tried some and loved it! People who haven't tried it shouldn't knock it.

My oldest will eat some sea food but the others? Nope. I usually order seafood when we go out, if it's prepared right (not fried, not a fan of that).

As we gather
together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must
not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people
who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we
are your allies. As one people, united, we acknowledge the
reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of
its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon
corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their
own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government
derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek
consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no
true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic
power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit
over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality,
run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right,
to let these facts be known. They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage. They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.
They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the
workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity
and sexual orientation. They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel
treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these
practices. They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions. They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right. They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay. They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for
ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance. They have sold our privacy as a commodity. They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press. They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit. They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce. They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them. They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save
people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a
substantive profit. They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit. They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media. They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt. They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad. They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas. They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.* To the people of the world, We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.
Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space;
create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions
accessible to everyone. To all communities that take
action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer
support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal. Join us and make your voices heard!

Okay, these folks have me convinced that they're mostly just a bunch of whackjobs. Here's the blurb from Wiki:

The participants of the events are mainly protesting against social and economic inequality, corporate greed, and the influence of corporate money and lobbyists on government, among other concerns.[10][11] Adbusters states that, "Beginning from one simple demand – a presidential commission to separate money from politics – we start setting the agenda for a new America."

So what are they gonna do? Pass laws that people can't get TOO rich? Will we have statutes against emotions / character flaws?
"The citizens shall not be jealous, sentimental or greedy..." WTF?

The only thing I can understand is the concern about corporate influence and lobbyists. Hell, I can even agree that's bad for our government.

I wonder. Will it also apply to unions?

Pass a law putting a ceiling on how much wealth greedy Americans can amass? Not likely. This is the US of A, where money has more value than ideals, morals, principles and sometimes even life

What should become law, however, is making the wholesale outsourcing of American jobs a criminal offense. That might slow down America's gluttonous appetite for attaining more and more wealth a tiny bit. The upside, some Americans would go back to work. As for diminishing Daddy Warbucks treasure chest, well since America doesn't work for $5.00 a day perhaps it could..

But even that might be too late to stop the damage already done to us by us. Nothing is built or manufactured here anymore. Our once prosperous steel mills and foundries are silent and cold. While in pursuit of the almighty dollar, which isn't worth $.50, we let everything that once made us the most envied nation slip away.

It has never been Government's function to create private sector jobs or keep the nation employed. The only jobs government generates are government jobs and there are more than enough of those already. And even if corporate America were to have a sudden epiphany causing them to give a fat rat's ass about about the situation, would they be able to effectively find new needs. Jobs fill a need. Where no need exists there is no need for a job.

And finally, IMHO, there is something off-kilter, sinister and decidedly unhealthy about anyone who can't ever get enough money. What floors me is that these a**holes insatiable greed is defended as if it defined who we are. Perhaps it is. If so, God help us. But I'm not sure He can do anything or for that matter would.

I guess my question to you would be this, Poli...would you rather have people who are obsessed with creating wealth...or people who refuse to even try? My main problem with the OWS activists is that they appear to be against capitalism yet they expect money FROM capitalists to be given to them in the form of high minimum wages, free tuition, a guaranteed "living wage" (ie, the Dole), and free health care so that they can live a happy and carefree life.

Quite frankly, I find them to be rather naive about how the world functions and what it "owes" them.

Forum List

Back