"The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion"

Valox

Dec 1, 2011
"In 1973, after Roe v. Wade, abortion became legal but had to be performed in a hospital. That of course was changed later. For the first 'legal abortion day' I had scheduled five procedures. While scrubbing between cases, I was accosted by the Chief of the OB/Gyn service. He asked me, 'How many children are you going to kill today?' My response, out of anger, was a familiar vulgar retort. About three months later, this born-again Christian called me to explain that he was against abortion but his daughter was only a junior in high school and was too young to have a baby and he was also afraid that if she did have a baby she would not want to put it up for adoption. I told him he did not need to explain the situation to me. 'All I need to know', I said, 'is that SHE wants an abortion.' Two years later I performed a second abortion on her during her college break. She thanked me and pleaded, 'Please don't tell my dad, he is still anti-abortion.'" (Physician, Washington State)
"The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion" - When the Anti-Choice Choose

"In 1973, after Roe v. Wade, abortion became legal but had to be performed in a hospital. That of course was changed later. For the first 'legal abortion day' I had scheduled five procedures. While scrubbing between cases, I was accosted by the Chief of the OB/Gyn service. He asked me, 'How many children are you going to kill today?' My response, out of anger, was a familiar vulgar retort. About three months later, this born-again Christian called me to explain that he was against abortion but his daughter was only a junior in high school and was too young to have a baby and he was also afraid that if she did have a baby she would not want to put it up for adoption. I told him he did not need to explain the situation to me. 'All I need to know', I said, 'is that SHE wants an abortion.' Two years later I performed a second abortion on her during her college break. She thanked me and pleaded, 'Please don't tell my dad, he is still anti-abortion.'" (Physician, Washington State)
"The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion" - When the Anti-Choice Choose
People make decisions they regret.

I'm sorry, did you think you had a point?

OMG! A parent made a decision they hopes would be best for their child even though they really weren't sure it was the right decision!!!!! How horrific!!!! How shocking!!!!

What I find really admirable is the doctor who related this story not rubbing the other man's nose in what was obviously a difficult and uncomfortable choice...its just a shame that the OP chose not to take the same high road.

OMG! A parent made a decision they hopes would be best for their child even though they really weren't sure it was the right decision!!!!! How horrific!!!! How shocking!!!!

What I find really admirable is the doctor who related this story not rubbing the other man's nose in what was obviously a difficult and uncomfortable choice...its just a shame that the OP chose not to take the same high road.

lol...you don't see a schism with a pro-life dad having his daughter get an abortion?

Somehow you find this admirable?

lol...you don't see a schism with a pro-life dad having his daughter get an abortion?

None at all. He was helping his daughter make a life decision.... a very hard decision. One that he personally disapproved of ...but understood that his daughter had a right to her choose for herself and her own body.

None at all. He was helping his daughter make a life decision.... a very hard decision. One that he personally disapproved of ...but understood that his daughter had a right to her choose for herself and her own body.

He didn't want to care for his grandchild. How is that noble?

For fuck's sake, you people are hacks.

Of course the pro-life dad was placed in the position of having to make a terrible and yes, hypocritical decision when he helped his daughter procure her first abortion. It was probably a fairly torturous decision for him. He was forced to decide to do what he felt would give his daughter the best chance to pursue her own dreams...at the expense of his own beliefs. I feel bad for the guy.

As for admirable, I think you misunderstand which doctor I was speaking about. The doctor I am most impressed with in this anecdote is the doctor providing the abortions. It would have been easy for him, and probably very tempting to make a snide remark to the pro-life doctor...just like you seem to revel in calling him a hypocrite, rather than having any sense of sympathy for a parent having to face an incredibly difficult decision. Rather than stoop to your level and gleefully point out his co-workers hypocrisy...the other doctor simply said, "Its legal. She chose it. Thats all I need to know." THAT, is something I do find admirable - he was a big enough man to do his job without needing to laugh at the other man's misfortune.

Of course the pro-life dad was placed in the position of having to make a terrible and yes, hypocritical decision when he helped his daughter procure her first abortion. It was probably a fairly torturous decision for him. He was forced to decide to do what he felt would give his daughter the best chance to pursue her own dreams...at the expense of his own beliefs. I feel bad for the guy.

As for admirable, I think you misunderstand which doctor I was speaking about. The doctor I am most impressed with in this anecdote is the doctor providing the abortions. It would have been easy for him, and probably very tempting to make a snide remark to the pro-life doctor...just like you seem to revel in calling him a hypocrite, rather than having any sense of sympathy for a parent having to face an incredibly difficult decision. Rather than stoop to your level and gleefully point out his co-workers hypocrisy...the other doctor simply said, "Its legal. She chose it. Thats all I need to know." THAT, is something I do find admirable - he was a big enough man to do his job without needing to laugh at the other man's misfortune.

He made the decisions because he was afraid that she wasn't going to give up her child for adoption, and therefore would have to be responsible.

Yeah, real fucking noble.

He didn't want to care for his grandchild. How is that noble?

For fuck's sake, you people are hacks.

Really? Where does it say that?

He made the decisions because he was afraid that she wasn't going to give up her child for adoption, and therefore would have to be responsible.

to your edit...

It does not sound to me as if he forced her to have an abortion..... especially since she had another one several years later.

to your edit...

It does not sound to me as if he forced her to have an abortion..... especially since she had another one several years later.

Keep munching on your straw all you want. I never used the word "force". However, his daughter's choice didn't prevent him from expressing his hypocrisy.

Unfortunately, this is too complicated for you to understand.

Now you're just making things up...shows that your own personal feelings about this issue might be clouding your ability to view it clearly.

He never stated he didn't want to care for the child. He could have been just as worried that when she decided to keep the baby she would have had a difficult time finishing college, getting a good job, pursuing her own dreams, etc.

Again...no one here has implied that this father was doing something noble. The only person bringing up his nobility or lack thereof is you...because you want to make nasty, rude remarks about a father who made a tough decision to do what he thought he needed to for his kid.

So really...the bottom line is...this guy is pro-life, which you are against. But he violated his own beliefs to help his daughter in a way you support...but because he's pro-life...you feel justified in calling him names for it. So basically...this man was damned if he did and damned if he didn't as far as you are concerned. Bravo...how big of you.

to your edit...

Keep munching on your straw all you want. I never used the word "force". However, his daughter's choice didn't prevent him from expressing his hypocrisy.

Unfortunately, this is too complicated for you to understand.

I agree, it is to complicated for you to understand.

What it boils down to is you don't think dad should have taken his daughter in and picked her up after a medical.

:thup:

Now you're just making things up...shows that your own personal feelings about this issue might be clouding your ability to view it clearly.

He never stated he didn't want to care for the child. He could have been just as worried that when she decided to keep the baby she would have had a difficult time finishing college, getting a good job, pursuing her own dreams, etc.

Learn to read and use deductive reasoning, skippy. was too young to have a baby and he was also afraid that if she did have a baby she would not want to put it up for adoption.

If she was too young to have a baby and would not put it up for adoption, guess where the responsibility would lie?

Forum List

Back