The One Orders The Hoi Poloi To "Get Used To High Gas Prices"

Jimmy Carter - The "Malaise Speech"

Point one: I am tonight setting a clear goal for the energy policy of the United States. Beginning this moment, this Nation will never use more foreign oil than we did in 1977 -- never. From now on, every new addition to our demand for energy will be met from our own production and our own conservation. The generation-long growth in our dependence on foreign oil will be stopped dead in its tracks right now and then reversed as we move through the 1980's, for I am tonight setting the further goal of cutting our dependence on foreign oil by one-half by the end of the next decade -- a saving of over 4 1/2 million barrels of imported oil per day.

Point two: To ensure that we meet these targets, I will use my Presidential authority to set import quotas. I'm announcing tonight that for 1979 and 1980, I will forbid the entry into this country of one drop of foreign oil more than these goals allow. These quotas will ensure a reduction in imports even below the ambitious levels we set at the recent Tokyo summit.

Point three: To give us energy security, I am asking for the most massive peacetime commitment of funds and resources in our Nation's history to develop America's own alternative sources of fuel -- from coal, from oil shale, from plant products for gasohol, from unconventional gas, from the Sun.

Point four: I'm asking Congress to mandate, to require as a matter of law, that our Nation's utility companies cut their massive use of oil by 50 percent within the next decade and switch to other fuels, especially coal, our most abundant energy source.

Point five: To make absolutely certain that nothing stands in the way of achieving these goals, I will urge Congress to create an energy mobilization board which, like the War Production Board in World War II, will have the responsibility and authority to cut through the redtape, the delays, and the endless roadblocks to completing key energy projects.

We will protect our environment. But when this Nation critically needs a refinery or a pipeline, we will build it.

Point six: I'm proposing a bold conservation program to involve every State, county, and city and every average American in our energy battle. .... Every act of energy conservation like this is more than just common sense -- I tell you it is an act of patriotism.

Carter was right.

Blame thiry+ years of short sighted energy policies on President Obama and call it a day.

Even if it's small govt money is money. When money flows into govt that cronyism is going to flow out. It's not a dem or repub thing. Both parties are guilty of this. Period.

My concern with drilling is the environmental aspect of it. Not just waste but auctioning off all our land to the highest bidder combined with pushes for relaxed environmental laws, imminent domain *sp*, and a hands off attitude toward corporations is what bothers me. Just my opinion

The environmental "aspect?"

You sound like you need to drag a camera around an interview the half dozen malcontents who wanna blame someone for their shitty water wells.

Gasland Reference?

What is wrong with considering the environment? We live in it. ?

How does it help the environment to trash perfectly good vehicles with years of useful life left?

Carter was right.

Blame thiry+ years of short sighted energy policies on President Obama and call it a day.

Another Obamot drooler that doesn't have the brains to realize that we are comparing Carter's Presidential response to high energy costs to the sophomoric remarks about the same subject associated with Obama in the OP.

Another Obamot drooler that doesn't have the brains to realize that we are comparing Carter's Presidential response to high energy costs to the sophomoric remarks about the same subject associated with Obama in the OP.

i don't have a lot of nice things to say about jimmy carter, but he was right about alternative energy. as was nixon...

and then reagan got into the white house and took out the solar panels.

we're having a discussion now that should have been had when i was a child. and the same groups are still funding the opposition.

i know you have a particular perspective on this issue. but really... some things are just the right thing to do... no matter who proposes them.

as for energy costs.. the truth is we pay a lot less per gallon than they do in most other places in the world because our oil is subsidized.

Even if it's small govt money is money. When money flows into govt that cronyism is going to flow out. It's not a dem or repub thing. Both parties are guilty of this. Period.

My concern with drilling is the environmental aspect of it. Not just waste but auctioning off all our land to the highest bidder combined with pushes for relaxed environmental laws, imminent domain *sp*, and a hands off attitude toward corporations is what bothers me. Just my opinion

The environmental "aspect?"

You sound like you need to drag a camera around an interview the half dozen malcontents who wanna blame someone for their shitty water wells.

Gasland Reference?

What is wrong with considering the environment? We live in it. ?

Nothing.

You ever heard of the EPA?

Consistent with his campaign promise that energy prices would skyrocket, Obama told a group of plebians who still pump their own gas to "get used to it" and "buy a new car".

Obama needled one questioner who asked about gas prices, now averaging close to $3.70 a gallon nationwide, and suggested that the gentleman consider getting rid of his gas-guzzling vehicle.”

Instapundit » Blog Archive » OBAMA: Get Used To High Gas Prices. “Obama needled one questioner who asked about gas prices, now…

And check him out "remembering what it was like to pump gas":

RealClearPolitics - Video - Obama: "I Remember What It Was Like Pumping Gas"

We are doomed with this man in the White House.

thx B...yea I saw that, and along with the quick takes on how hes not helping the budget process press conf.'s ( well at a presser you take questions, but anyway), he looks like he's mailing it in... the only thing that can save him are the republicans ...and he knows it.

i don't have a lot of nice things to say about jimmy carter, but he was right about alternative energy. as was nixon...

we're having a discussion now that should have been had when i was a child. and the same groups are still funding the opposition.

i know you have a particular perspective on this issue. but really... some things are just the right thing to do... no matter who proposes them.

as for energy costs.. the truth is we pay a lot less per gallon than they do in most other places in the world because our oil is subsidized.

I'm not argueing that Carter was right or wrong:

I'M COMPARING HIS REACTION TO HIGH ENERGY COSTS WITH OBAMA'S REACTION ILLUSTRATED IN THE OP.

a) obama flipped flopped and finally due to political pressure added the solar panels back to the WH.

b) by subsidize I assume, that is assume you mean the tax breaks the oil co's get? well, I am not going to bother arguing that ( do you have issues subsidizing solar panel co's?) so lets look at this this way, IF we could drill, gasoline would eventually be $2 cheaper for us...so in effect he has helped create or maintain scarcity, keeping prices up.

Solar panels were never, ever effective. They still aren't.

I'm not argueing that Carter was right or wrong:

I'M COMPARING HIS REACTION TO HIGH ENERGY COSTS WITH OBAMA'S REACTION ILLUSTRATED IN THE OP.

Obama's primary objective all along with regards to energy has been to make it so exorbitant to buy gas that nobody can use it.

He doesn't care that he is forcing us backwards; that people in rural areas will DIE when they can't afford gas. They freeze now. I work with people who were told to get rid of all their wood stoves 15 years ago and were provided with nice shiny oil monitor stoves...which they cannot afford to fuel now.

Those same people can't afford gas to travel to the store. They can't afford wood even if they do have wood stoves now because WOOD PRICES are affected by the price of gas as people have to drive into the boonies and transport wood and that uses big trucks and you got it, gasoline.

These people come into my offices and tell me how they heat their homes. The ONLY way they can afford the $300 a month gas and electric bills is through government subsidy programs (energy subsidy).

It's a fucking crime that yahoos in NYC and other densely populated areas don't give a shit about the old and the poor. You think it's funny to shut down industry, throw our people back into the dark ages, and watch them flounder? I sure as shit don't. I find it nauseating.

Forum List

Back