The "One and Done": a Travesty

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
As discussed in this space previously, we will shortly see again the travesty of baseball's ill-conceived "One & Done" playoff.

For those not paying attention, the teams with the three (3) best records in all of MLB are clustered in the National League's Central Division. The Cards accumulated 100 wins; the Pirates had 98; the Cubs had 97. None of the other 27 teams in MLB had more than 95.

And yet, either the Pirates or the Cubs will be done on Wednesday night after their one-game playoff. The bookies in Lost Wages consider the Cubs to be strong favorites with ace pitcher Arrieta being virtually unhittable in the past month, and on paper at least, more than a match for the Pirates' ace, Gerrit Cole.

So regardless of who wins on Wednesday, a team with more wins than any of the other five Division champions will be watching the playoffs on TV.

On the American League side, two teams with mediocre records (10 games over .500 vs. 12 games over .500) will be fighting it out on Tuesday night, which is a scenario that I suppose the MLB Big Shots envisioned with this playoff system. That particular game will be interesting to watch, as both pitchers have been World Beaters at times this year, but they both cannot win on Tuesday.

It almost goes without saying that with three divisions in each league, a single "wildcard" team was a logical addition to the playoff system, creating a four-team league playoff and ensuring that a team with a great record would not be shut out of the playoffs due to being in the same division with a superior team. The fifth league "playoff" team was a horrible mistake, done only with the crass intention of keeping as many teams in playoff contention for as long as possible, in order to maximize late-season ticket sales.

Baseball teams have a different character and different prospects, depending on who is pitching. When Steve Carlton was in his heyday with the Phillies, they were World Champions with him on the mound and chumps with anyone else. Thus, One & Done is an absurd concept for professional baseball, as it allows a mediocre team with one Horse (e.g., last year's San Francisco Giants) to prevail against teams that have demonstrated superiority over a 162 game season. It ain't right.

Life sucks sometimes

One game, three games, five games....one of the wild cards will eliminate the other

I love the idea of a "one and done" wild card playoff. It basically penalizes you for being a wildcard team and favors those that won their division.

That being said, the artificial divisions that the teams are grouped in should not allow a .500 team to be on equal footing as a team that won .650 of their games. I would seed the top 5 teams by record regardless of division since over 162 games, they all play each other regularly enough to even out the strength of schedule arguments and any "Well, my guy was injured when we played" nonsense. Have the best 5 records make the playoffs with the #4 and #5 teams in a one-and-done.

The only thing I worry about is if the Cardinals and the Cubs are playing each other in the first round, will there be any interest if they played each other 12 times already?

As discussed in this space previously, we will shortly see again the travesty of baseball's ill-conceived "One & Done" playoff.

For those not paying attention, the teams with the three (3) best records in all of MLB are clustered in the National League's Central Division. The Cards accumulated 100 wins; the Pirates had 98; the Cubs had 97. None of the other 27 teams in MLB had more than 95.

And yet, either the Pirates or the Cubs will be done on Wednesday night after their one-game playoff. The bookies in Lost Wages consider the Cubs to be strong favorites with ace pitcher Arrieta being virtually unhittable in the past month, and on paper at least, more than a match for the Pirates' ace, Gerrit Cole.

So regardless of who wins on Wednesday, a team with more wins than any of the other five Division champions will be watching the playoffs on TV.

On the American League side, two teams with mediocre records (10 games over .500 vs. 12 games over .500) will be fighting it out on Tuesday night, which is a scenario that I suppose the MLB Big Shots envisioned with this playoff system. That particular game will be interesting to watch, as both pitchers have been World Beaters at times this year, but they both cannot win on Tuesday.

It almost goes without saying that with three divisions in each league, a single "wildcard" team was a logical addition to the playoff system, creating a four-team league playoff and ensuring that a team with a great record would not be shut out of the playoffs due to being in the same division with a superior team. The fifth league "playoff" team was a horrible mistake, done only with the crass intention of keeping as many teams in playoff contention for as long as possible, in order to maximize late-season ticket sales.

Baseball teams have a different character and different prospects, depending on who is pitching. When Steve Carlton was in his heyday with the Phillies, they were World Champions with him on the mound and chumps with anyone else. Thus, One & Done is an absurd concept for professional baseball, as it allows a mediocre team with one Horse (e.g., last year's San Francisco Giants) to prevail against teams that have demonstrated superiority over a 162 game season. It ain't right.

Good post (though as a Giant's fan I know they brought more to the plate than Bum).

You defined the problem well, putting aside Baseball's main concern, profit, here's a possible solution:

1. Schedule Sunday Double Headers, to shorten the season, and give fans a two-fer-one experience;
2. Shorten the season to 154 games and enlarge the playoffs.
3. This year:

Byes go to St. L and KC in the first round

Pitt plays Chi in a seven game set; Tor plays NY in a seven game set.

Winners play St. L and KC in a seven game set;

And the World Series is expanded to nine games. A true test of depth and desire.

I don't like the idea of a bye for the teams, they could lose momentum. Maybe add two more or eliminate two teams and have a 5 game first round series.

hate the one and done thing just as i hate the three way wild card asinine thing.baseball was the last sport that did it right,win the division and move on,second place or worse you stay home. the main reason baseball has been ruined for me.

one and done brings suspense I like it

I dont dislike it near as much as the asinine three way wild card race.that one is far more stupid that the one and done.
I got disgusted with baseball after that.Like i said baseball was the last sport that did it the right way,finish first and move on,finish second or worse and you stay home.

I used to watch the world series no matter who was in it .Only way i watch the world series now is if certain teams i like are in it.
Unless its the Royals,Pirates,Cubs,or Dodgers in it,I wont bother with the world series.

one and done brings suspense I like it

I dont dislike it near as much as the asinine three way wild card race.that one is far more stupid that the one and done.
I got disgusted with baseball after that.I used to watch the world series no matter who was in it .Only way i watch the world series now is if certain teams i like are in it.
Unless its the Royals,Pirates,Cubs,or Dodgers in it,I wont bother with the world series.
Enough to make a person go apeshit with boredom. If they cannot do it in the reg season give em a seat in the living room .

Forum List

Back