The Olympics are here!

Mr. P said:
I've developed a strong appreciation for the female beach volleyball uniform! :thewave:The tops need work though.

I asked my wife if they were athletes or models. WOW!

freeandfun1 said:
I asked my wife if they were athletes or models. WOW!

I think they are posing in FHM magazine is what I saw last night on TV ? Not that there is much more to see ... Why bother to wear a uniform just paint USA on their backs ! :boobies:

Mr. P said:
Have you folks noticed the abundance of empty seats at the events?

Yep! They said it was because today is Assention (sp?) day. But I thought they were bragging about how many VISITORS they had. If so, then why are there so many empty seats?

Did you hear Bob Costas' take on the warm welcome the US athletes received? He said, and I paraphrase, "the Greeks, while not liking US policy, are clearly able to distinguish Americans from our government and therefore, they are cheering our ATHLETES and not the USA".

freeandfun1 said:
Yep! They said it was because today is Assention (sp?) day. But I thought they were bragging about how many VISITORS they had. If so, then why are there so many empty seats?

Did you hear Bob Costas' take on the warm welcome the US athletes received? He said, and I paraphrase, "the Greeks, while not liking US policy, are clearly able to distinguish Americans from our government and therefore, they are cheering our ATHLETES and not the USA".

Yes, I heard Bob Costas' take...I guess these talking heads just can't help
injecting their opinion into their reporting, can they?

As far as empty seats..
ATHENS (AFP) - IOC (news - web sites ) officials, worried by the television images being flashed around the world of athletes competing in near empty stadiums, have told the Athens Games organisers to give tickets away for free if necessary.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...fp/oly_2004_gre_greece_040815143723&printer=1
and this....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...6.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/08/16/ixportal.html

Hold up everybody! Athens is jam packed right now but yesterday was the most holiest day of the year next to Easter Sunday, it was the Feast Of The Virgin Mary, which basically means that everybody named Maria or Panayia or Panayioti or any variation of those had a friggin party yesterday. They don't really celebrate birthdays but rather name days, almost everyone is named after a saint in the church and each saint has a feast day so that is the day you celebrate, mine is ayios Mihalis in November so that will be a big party day for me. Olympics be damned, the Greeks never miss a chance to party. Also watch the Greece/USA basketball game tomorrow night, it has been sold out for months and you will see fan participation which makes an English soccer game look tame, especially now that Greece loves to hate Alan Iverson.

Oh...OCA..I don't think this is a reflection on the Greece at all...
It's more like that old question (Twisted by me here to fit the times) "what if they gave a party and no body came?".

I think we all know why. Sad....

Mr. P said:
Oh...OCA..I don't think this is a reflection on the Greece at all...
It's more like that old question (Twisted by me here to fit the times) "what if they gave a party and no body came?".

I think we all know why. Sad....

Good point. Typically, it is the tourists that flock to the Olympics. Not the locals.

August 20, 2004
ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- Michael Phelps became an Olympic champion by winning more gold medals than all but a handful of competitors ever had.

Then he did something that none of them ever did.

He stepped aside.

Not long after climbing out of the pool with the 100 butterfly title and his fifth gold medal of the Summer Games, Phelps told U.S. men's coach Eddie Reese that he wanted his place on the 400-meter medley relay team to go to Ian Crocker instead.
WOW! This will be a race to watch today (Saturday). Phelps is the kind of Olympic champion
we can all be proud of!
Full Story:
http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/swimming/news?slug=ap-jimlitkeswm&prov=ap&type=lgns

Forum List

Back