The Olympics are a 2nd tier event

You are dreaming Sam...I can believe it would be the most watched game in the US, but not the World. The Olympics and soccer world cup are. And if you can prove that UEFA lies about its figures, please prove it.

At the end of the day three of the most boring sports in the world - Baseball, American football and ice hockey - are played in the US. Basketball is OK, but is something that is acquired taste.

With the size of the US economy I am not surprised that Forbes puts US franchises in the top ten. But it due to the size of the economy, not hte popularity of the sport in a world wide context

Soccer sucks...no way around it

Because the 2 billion people around the world who watch and play it say so...:D

2 billion people watch a sport that sucks

I havent watched any of it - except when I am flipping through channels.

You are dreaming Sam...I can believe it would be the most watched game in the US, but not the World. The Olympics and soccer world cup are. And if you can prove that UEFA lies about its figures, please prove it.

At the end of the day three of the most boring sports in the world - Baseball, American football and ice hockey - are played in the US. Basketball is OK, but is something that is acquired taste.

With the size of the US economy I am not surprised that Forbes puts US franchises in the top ten. But it due to the size of the economy, not hte popularity of the sport in a world wide context

Because the 2 billion people around the world who watch and play it say so...:D

Over 7 billion people take shits just about every day. It's very popular, but it's still shit.

Americans - God bless them - are pretty insular. Never mind the World Series - which was named after the World newspaper over a century ago - the NBA and NFL champions are often referred as "world champions." That's pretty arrogant.

The Super Bowl remains the world's most watched sporting event. No other single sport match comes close to its cachet. UEFA is a joke and they out-and-out lie about their viewership.

Given that baseball - a sport with 10 minutes of action stretched over 3.5 hours - is America's national pastime, I'm sure you'll understand the rest of the worlds skepticism about American's attitudes towards soccer.

Check the roster of any team in the majors. The smelly Europeans can't grasp the fact that professional sport in the US did not develop as an extention of 'my inbred ancestors 10,000 years ago flung shit at your inbred ancestors over a patch of gassy swampland.' They also can't comprehend that although we go home from every Olympic games with crates stuffed full of most of the medals, our handball and rugby squads do not represent the finest athletes in all the US. Hell, even in Olympic sports where many of our pro athletes participate it is basically like that sport's All Star game, and anyone can tell you how those games compare to the regular season. Relatively insignificant countries try to convince themselves that the outcome reflects on their national worth because it is the only shot they've got to claim any.

Which part of 'what countries participate in the world series' did you struggle to grasp? It's a straightforward question.... how about just a number.... how many countries compete against each other in the world series?

Hopefully this will SHUT YOU UP:

Here is a list of the countries that have been represented in Major League Baseball. Looks almost like a list of Olympics participants to me.

Afghanistan
Australia
Austria
Bahamas
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
China
Colombia
Cuba
Denmark
Dominican Republic
England
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Honduras
Indonesia
Ireland
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Mexico
Netherlands
Nicaragua
Norway
Panama
Philippines
Poland
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Scotland
Singapore
South Korea
South Vietnam
Soviet Union
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Republic of China (Taiwan)
Venezuela
Wales
West Germany

When MLB teams compete against teams from other nations on a regular basis, you'll have a point.

A quarter of all Premier League players are from other countries, yet no one in England claims that the winner of the Premiership are "world champions."

Americans - God bless them - are pretty insular. Never mind the World Series - which was named after the World newspaper over a century ago - the NBA and NFL champions are often referred as "world champions." That's pretty arrogant.

Why?

Given that baseball - a sport with 10 minutes of action stretched over 3.5 hours - is America's national pastime, I'm sure you'll understand the rest of the worlds skepticism about American's attitudes towards soccer.

Leaving aside how very popular baseball is in many countries:
Do you have some reason to believe that we give a shit what the rest of the world thinks?

Do you have some reason to believe that we give a shit what the rest of the world thinks?

Nope.

FTR I don't mind baseball. It's a great sport for anyone who is really into it. But it's amusing when Americans dis soccer when baseball is so popular since most of the time, there is little happening in the sport.

If you're so unconcerned, why are you going on about it at such length?

Nope.

FTR I don't mind baseball. It's a great sport for anyone who is really into it. But it's amusing when Americans dis soccer when baseball is so popular since most of the time, there is little happening in the sport.

If you think little is happening you don't understand the sport.

If you're so unconcerned, why are you going on about it at such length?

At what length?

Nope.

Oh, I know the sport. I used to watch 100+ games a year. I could tell you what pitch was coming 80% of the time, amongst other things. Like I said, I don't mind baseball. It's a great sport if you're into it. But the simple fact is that there is a whole lot of dead space in the game.

Nope.

hahah, welcome to football.

Forum List

Back