The Olden Days

And of course those great Mongram model kits, with the shep paine diorama instructions that we could NEVER recreate!

Monogram_Twin_50.JPG

As the 70s hit, we had cool stuff like AFX slot cars.

I actually had ol #7

29806.jpg

At first I thought this was one of the 'break up' cars I remember. I think there were 4 or 6 pieces that snapped together. You pulled it backwards, then let it go till il hit a wall or something and 'cracked up!' Great fun on the linoleum kitchen floor! :lol:

At first I thought this was one of the 'break up' cars I remember. I think there were 4 or 6 pieces that snapped together. You pulled it backwards, then let it go till il hit a wall or something and 'cracked up!' Great fun on the linoleum kitchen floor! :lol:
I remember those, my brother had them, it had this plastic rod you pulled through it to make it go.

Annie - GREAT thread!!! Holy cow some of this stuff brings me right back to being like 8 years old.

The cars! I loved the cars of the 50's and 60's. The first car I remember us having was a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker. The car was 10 yrs. old cause I was 4 and I remember standing on the axle bump in the back and my head didn't even touch the roof. We called it the Green Bomb. The horns on steering wheels on the cars back in the day -- not some whimpy plasticy thing in the middle but a full metal rim that ran all around the steering wheel. Aaaaah. :D

1954-chrysler-new-yorker.jpg

The Wooden Nickel - I only remember that as a bar I used to frequent as a youth. ;)

My brothers had the Davy Crockett hat - lol My aunt had a Royal typewriter that I learned to type on. Loved it.

See the pic under the typewriter, the one with the lady holding the chocolate cake? I grew up on that homemade stuff and continue it today and am teaching my kids. My cakes look just like that and taste wonderful. You just can't get that out of a box.

The Beatle boots - I recall them as the boots that James West wore on The Wild Wild West.

Spanking - I remember getting one when I was five.

Rotary phones - my parents still have two and I've got dibs on them! They still have their GE little refrigerator that they got when they married in 1952. Works fine. I've got dibs on that too.

Real sleds can't be beat.

Vitalis :lol: Wasn't that 'the wet look' stuff? My dad used to use Vitalis and wear Jade East cologne.

Schlitz - yup, they were in our fridge.

TV dinners were a big deal for me cause we rarely had them. Usually when my mom and dad went out and we had a babysitter. No microwave, you had to wait the 45 minutes for them to heat up in the oven.

Oh snap, metal ice cube trays!!!! Wow, you just sent me back sooo much with those.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!:)

Last edited:
Another common one, plastic army men, in this case armed with M16s, my brother and I had over a thousand of these at one time.

timmee00.jpg

Oh Xeno!!! My brothers had these and used to play army on me if I fell asleep. They used to use balled up socks as bombs. :lol:

Last edited:
Missing: Silly Putty, Fizzies, Slinky, Whamo Slip n' Slide...

We still have all that in Seattle, mostly at the dollar stores though. Pop Rocks were one thing I missed ... until I found them at the dollar store ... woohoo!

Pop Rocks were more the 80's! Trust me, the silly putty, etc., today are not what they were back when. I know, I bought the remakes for my own kids.

Silly putty today sucks. It doesn't even that the right smell.

We still have all that in Seattle, mostly at the dollar stores though. Pop Rocks were one thing I missed ... until I found them at the dollar store ... woohoo!

Pop Rocks were more the 80's! Trust me, the silly putty, etc., today are not what they were back when. I know, I bought the remakes for my own kids.

Silly putty today sucks. It doesn't even that the right smell.

True. "Our" Silly Putty worked and bounced like super balls, which also are retro thinking about it! Remember super balls the size of soft balls? Geez, they could do some damage! There must have been some interesting ingredients in Silly Putty, cause the smell is very different.

I FOUND it, Kenner's 'smash up derby!'

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWn515tOcPA]YouTube - Demolition Derby Toy[/ame]

Yep. I remember all of that stuff... What about hoola hoops? Yo Yo's? Red Ryder BB guns? And my very favorite: Army men. Remember the four shapes? The guy laying down aiming his rifle? The guy with his arm back throwing a gernade? The guy down on one knee shooting his rifle and the guy standing up shooting his rifle. I had a ton of these guys and so did most of my buddies.

It appears that I may have forgotten a few of the Army men shapes!

How about Fizzies???

Last edited:
Wow, many of these predate me! :lol: The metal cabinets in kitchen-I remember those!

retrolife

It takes awhile to load.

Anyone remember Zarex? No wonder I was so hyper! :razz: Mom always had a jug of it.

ZaRex - was a very popular sweet drink concentrate in the 1970s. It was sold as early as the 1950s. The mascot and logo is a Zebra. It is still being made and sold. It is available in Raspberry and may be available in other flavors as well.
Zarex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Wow, many of these predate me! :lol: The metal cabinets in kitchen-I remember those!

retrolife

It takes awhile to load.

Anyone remember Zarex? No wonder I was so hyper! :razz: Mom always had a jug of it.

ZaRex - was a very popular sweet drink concentrate in the 1970s. It was sold as early as the 1950s. The mascot and logo is a Zebra. It is still being made and sold. It is available in Raspberry and may be available in other flavors as well.

Valerie, you are a bit young. LOL! By the 70's we oldsters were starting high school!

retrolife

It takes awhile to load.

we used to have it at camp-we called it bug juice in the '60's

retrolife

It takes awhile to load.

we used to have it at camp-we called it bug juice in the '60's

:lol: Yes I remember calling it "bug juice" at camp !

We had jarts too, BTW!

Last edited:

retrolife

It takes awhile to load.

Valerie, you are a bit young. LOL! By the 70's we oldsters were starting high school!

Thanks for making me feel young! :tongue: I just looked at your link and I do remember everything, even though I was a bit younger.

Remember "Mercurachrome" - that orange stuff for all your cuts and scrapes?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/askville/2060504_5027375_mywrite/mercurachrome.jpg

Thanks for making me feel young! :tongue: I just looked at your link and I do remember everything, even though I was a bit younger.

Remember Mercurachrome for all your cuts and scrapes?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/askville/2060504_5027375_mywrite/mercurachrome.jpg

It's really monkey blood.

Forum List

Back