The oil cap has held for three days

I'm already there. Blow it!

How would a nuclear explosion stop the oil from gushing?
The bomb would be detonated deep underground, in a separate well beneath the sea floor. In theory, the extreme heat generated by the explosion would collapse the well bore, melting surrounding rock into a "glassy plug" that would seal the shaft "much like a huge stopper in a leaky bottle." Nuclear expert Christopher Brownfield tells The Takeaway: "When you're looking at this geological formation with a 15,000 foot narrow 'straw' going through it, it doesn't really take that much to break that 'straw' and seal it off."

Has the technique been tried before?
Yes. The Soviet Union capped four gas wells using nuclear bombs in 1966, 1968 and twice in 1972. Another attempt in 1981 was unsuccessful, likely due to "poor geological data."

So why don't we try it?
There are a few reasons to be cautious. Firstly, the Soviet Union's well explosions were all conducted inland. Creating an underwater explosion to seal off the well would be highly experimental technology, and would not be guaranteed to work. Secondly, the fall-out from a nuclear explosion could create fresh environmental hazards. And thirdly, detonating a nuclear bomb would potentially undermine international anti-nuclear treaties by establishing a new and legitimate "peaceful" use for nukes.

What kind of "fresh environmental hazards" could a nuclear explosion create?

Although the explosion would happen deep underground, radioactive gases could still seep into the Gulf. That said, "it seems a reasonable conjecture that the dissipation of a limited amount of radioactive material across the vast Gulf is preferable to the blanketing of thousands of miles of American coastline in ribbons of tar," says Daniel Foster in the National Review. But the worst case scenario, says Andrew Leonard at Salon, would be a "chain reaction" leading to a massive release of frozen natural gas in the seabed — potentially wiping out most of the life on planet Earth.

Is the U.S. considering the nuclear option?
A five-man team of nuclear physicists has reportedly been dispatched to the Gulf to look at "outside-the-box" solutions to the spill, but the White House says using a nuclear bomb to stem the flow was not even a possibility. "It's crazy," one senior official told The New York Times.

Could we use a conventional bomb?
Experts warn that the well and its surrounding geology are fragile and a less powerful explosion might open up fissures and make the leak essentially unstoppable. Because of the risks, using any kind of explosive device should be an option of last resort.
Nuke the oil spill? - The Week
Only an idiot, in my opinion, would think blowing up the well is a good idea.

Oh, I realize...I was just trying to be nice to Mini 14 and post some facts.

>>

They need to just go ahead and detonate this thing.

I'd blow it up, cut my losses, and start licking my wounds. This has gone on far too long.

The Russians have done it before on a well of this volume (natural gas, not oil). It will seal the shaft, and disturb the floor very little, actually. Radiation is negligible at that depth, but the shock wave would kill a lot of wildlife. But a lot less than several more weeks of oil will.

Sentiment for a detonation has been growing down here. If the cap is opened back up, I imagine the supporters will become a lot more vocal.

That's why the sentiment to blow it is growing. Screw it. Blow it closed, and abandon it forever.

I'm already there. Blow it!

I have no idea why you're talking about detonation???

Because it works.

But it seals the well permanently, so you have to be willing to walk away from the millions that have been spent drilling it. (there is no easy way to re-open the well, other than drilling an entirely new well).

Down here, we're all willing :)

Its easy to sit in New Hampshire and say "don't blow it up" isn't it?

How has this affected you TODAY? How much income have you lost? Have you had to sell your boat to make your house payment? Are you waiting on a $5,000 check from BP to cover hundreds of thousands in damages so that you can keep the power and water on, and maybe pay a little more of your daughter's tuition?

Their cap may have actually caused more damage. If the seepage is oil, and the crack was created by the increase in pressure at the surface, the relief well may not work either. Its easy to sit up there in New Hampshire and say "well let's just wait and see" but its pretty hard to wake up every morning and head to the coffee shop to find out who has been forced into bankruptcy today, or who has been forced to abandon the only job they've ever had and start searching for a new one (Mondays have been the worst, for obvious reasons).

3 more of my friends made that decision over the weekend (one charter owner, one fisherman, one 1st mate on a rig supply ship).

How many of yours did?

New Hampshire has time to wait and see.

We've seen enough.

For the last month or so obama or someone from the whitehouse has condemed and negatively spoken of all the ill's that comes with drilling for oil. Now the flow has stopped where's obama?

Who "from the Whitehouse" exactly has "condemed and negatively spoken of all the ill's that comes with drilling for oil" ?

Could you be a little more specfic?

No need for me to make any further comment to this reply but this
Do you live under a rock?

How has this affected you TODAY? How much income have you lost? Have you had to sell your boat to make your house payment? Are you waiting on a $5,000 check from BP to cover hundreds of thousands in damages so that you can keep the power and water on, and maybe pay a little more of your daughter's tuition?

Their cap may have actually caused more damage. If the seepage is oil, and the crack was created by the increase in pressure at the surface, the relief well may not work either. Its easy to sit up there in New Hampshire and say "well let's just wait and see" but its pretty hard to wake up every morning and head to the coffee shop to find out who has been forced into bankruptcy today, or who has been forced to abandon the only job they've ever had and start searching for a new one (Mondays have been the worst, for obvious reasons).

3 more of my friends made that decision over the weekend (one charter owner, one fisherman, one 1st mate on a rig supply ship).

How many of yours did?

We've seen enough.
Maybe you should have thought of all that before you idiots insisted on drill baby drill. :eusa_whistle:

How many of yours did?

We've seen enough.
Maybe you should have thought of all that before you idiots insisted on drill baby drill. :eusa_whistle:

we've seen enough? ONE TIME IN HOW MANY YEARS HAS THIS HAPPENED?

How many of yours did?

We've seen enough.

we've seen enough? ONE TIME IN HOW MANY YEARS HAS THIS HAPPENED?
Once is more than enough. And Mini-dork can go fuck himself if he thinks his state's stupidity gives them the right to potentially damage other states in the vicinity.

Valerie said:
Ravi said:

How many of yours did?

We've seen enough.

Nice attempt at trying to make this about me and where I live. :doubt:

I care about the people down there just as much as anyone else who has family and friends there.

The scientific facts show that blowing it up is not a viable option, it's nothing personal.

Can you post ANYthing that shows detonation as a viable solution?

Last edited:
You know, I really hate the fact that we can't trust the government. I just have a hard time believing they want to uncap this well to fix it rather than to prolongate the problem. If there is no crisis, people won't be motivated to pass cap and trade...

Cynical, I know, but why on earth should we trust the government?

I think it's crazy to think ANYone wants to prolong this. :doubt:

Our government is trying to hold BP accountable and monitoring every step in order to do so.

You know, I really hate the fact that we can't trust the government. I just have a hard time believing they want to uncap this well to fix it rather than to prolongate the problem. If there is no crisis, people won't be motivated to pass cap and trade...

Our government is trying to hold BP accountable and monitoring every step in order to do so.
Yep...I have a feeling this conspiracy theory of theirs is going to rival the idiocy of 9/11 being an inside job.

Yep...I have a feeling this conspiracy theory of theirs is going to rival the idiocy of 9/11 being an inside job.

:lol: Could be...

The US official in charge of the Gulf of Mexico oil clean-up, retired Coast Guard Adm Thad Allen, says he has authorised BP to keep the cap on its damaged well shut for another 24 hours.

In a statement released on Monday, Adm Allen said a federal science team held a conference call with BP representatives on Sunday night.

He said the scientists received the answers they wanted about how BP was monitoring the seabed in case of any new leaks.

BBC News - BP can keep oil cap closed for another day, says Allen

Last edited:
Valerie said:

How many of yours did?

We've seen enough.

I care about the people down there just as much as anyone else who has family and friends there.

The scientific facts show that blowing it up is not a viable option, it's nothing personal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpPNQoTlacU]YouTube - An Atomic Bomb will stop the Gulf Oil Leak, LOOK![/ame]

Now tell me it won't work.

And tell me how well all these things they're doing are working now. What is this, day 90?

You're not here looking at it. You're not dealing with it. You're not affected by it. "One more day" or "One more month" doesn't change one damn thing about your day to day life, does it?

"Give it time" isn't helping the dozens of my friends who now have no jobs, no livelihoods, and soon, no homes. BP has paid out a measly 207Million to date, to 116,000 claims. That's less than $2,000 per claim. Maybe a family of 4 can live for 3 months on $2,000 in New Hampshire, but not in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, or Florida.

They're going to open that cap again and wait for the relief wells. And when they get the relief wells finished, they will try to plug the current head. If I lived in New Hampshire, I'd probably say "that should work, let's try that" too. "It hasn't affected my life yet, and it won't in the next 3 months, so we've got plenty of time up here in New Hampshire!"

But what if it doesn't work? What if the scientists who are saying "the failure of the cap is due to a greater problem than we realize," and "its possible the cap has done more damage than good" are right?

Do you really think Thad Allen, BP, or the Federal government have any fucking clue what they are doing? Or do you think they are just throwing punches in the dark, hoping one of them hits the mark?

The end result is this:

For you, if it doesn't stop soon, shrimp prices keep rising.

For us, if it doesn't stop soon, shrimp prices keep rising, AND we lose jobs, livelihoods, houses, families, income, industries, friends, everything.....

Last edited:

How many of yours did?

We've seen enough.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpPNQoTlacU]YouTube - An Atomic Bomb will stop the Gulf Oil Leak, LOOK![/ame]

And tell me how well all these things they're doing are working now. What is this, day 90?

You're not here looking at it. You're not dealing with it. You're not affected by it. "One more day" or "One more month" doesn't change one damn thing about your day to day life, does it?

"Give it time" isn't helping the dozens of my friends who now have no jobs, no livelihoods, and soon, no homes. BP has paid out a measly 207Million to date, to 116,000 claims. That's less than $2,000 per claim. Maybe a family of 4 can live for 3 months on $2,000 in New Hampshire, but not in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, or Florida.

They're going to open that cap again and wait for the relief wells. And when they get the relief wells finished, they will try to plug the current head. If I lived in New Hampshire, I'd probably say "that should work, let's try that" too. "It hasn't affected my life yet, and it won't in the next 3 months, so we've got plenty of time up here in New Hampshire!"

But what if it doesn't work? What if the scientists who are saying "the failure of the cap is due to a greater problem than we realize," and "its possible the cap has done more damage than good" are right?

Do you really think Thad Allen, BP, or the Federal government have any fucking clue what they are doing? Or do you think they are just throwing punches in the dark, hoping one of them hits the mark?

The end result is this:

For us, if it doesn't stop soon, shrimp prices keep rising, AND we lose jobs, livelihoods, houses, families, income, industries, friends, everything.....

Don't try to get personal with me dog killer...Quit pretending like you care about your neighbors. :eusa_liar:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/125233-flaming-the-neighbor-7.html#post2524460

I'm sorry you failed science class, really I am.

The end result is this:

Don't try to get personal with me dog killer...Quit pretending like you care about your neighbors. :eusa_liar:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/125233-flaming-the-neighbor-7.html#post2524460

Evidently, the Russians failed too, huh?

I only kill feral dogs and coyotes.

And I admit, I do it merely for the comfort of knowing there is one less worthless predator on my land.

I take a bobcat here and there too, but there is something stoic and honorable about a bobcat. Sometimes, I let them walk. I like having 3-4 of them around, and they police themselves, so there are never more than 3-4 in a square mile.

But a coyote, or a dog?

BANG!

YouTube - An Atomic Bomb will stop the Gulf Oil Leak, LOOK!

The end result is this:

And I admit, I do it merely for the comfort of knowing there is one less worthless predator on my land.

I take a bobcat here and there too, but there is something stoic and honorable about a bobcat. Sometimes, I let them walk. I like having 3-4 of them around, and they police themselves, so there are never more than 3-4 in a square mile.

But a coyote, or a dog?

BANG!
Suck oil into your windpipe, loser. You must be a "conservative" wanting everyone else to pay for your own stupidity.

:clap2:

But a coyote, or a dog?

BANG!
Suck oil into your windpipe, loser. You must be a "conservative" wanting everyone else to pay for your own stupidity.

Actually, I'm ready for everyone to STOP paying for this mess. That's why I don't condone dragging it out into mid August when that isn't a sure thing.

But see the other thread to understand this:

Thanks for the inspiration!

"RAVI!!!"

b a n g

But a coyote, or a dog?

BANG!

Last time I checked, conservatives were against government paying for everyones stupidity.

Forum List

Back