The official Palin Book Club-

Maple

Mar 15, 2009
USMB members, I am in the process of reading her book, it is fascinating. I started yesterday afternoon and was so captivated that I could not put it down. I am within 100 pages of finishing. I thought it would be interesting to discuss her book with others who are in the process of reading it or have already finished.

To all Liberals or Palin haters- if you have not read her book or have no intention of doing so, stay off of this thread. It will prove to only humiliate you as others who have actually READ her book will be able to disprove any liberal talking point that you might make.

One point of criticism that I have heard over and over again is her lack of experience. After reading this book it is clear that she had much, much more executive experience, common sense etc. than anyone who was in the running. Going after big oil and winning reducing taxes in Alaska, cutting the budget and demanding that fraud and corruption were cleaned up. It's a great read and certainly answered many of the questions I had about her. She also talks a great deal about growing up in Alaska and how different that can be from growing up in the lower 48.

To the READERS of her book, what's your opinion?

Last edited:
USMB members, I am in the process of reading her book, it is fascinating. I started yesterday afternoon and was so captivated that I could not put it down. I am within 100 pages of finishing. I thought it would be interesting to discuss her book with others who are in the process of reading it or have already finished.

To all Liberals or Palin haters- if you have not read her book or have no intention of doing so, stay off of this thread. It will prove to only humiliate you as others who have actually READ her book will be able to disprove any liberal talking point that you might make.

One point of criticism that I have heard over and over again is her lack of experience. After reading this book it is clear that she had much, much more executive experience, common sense etc. than anyone who was in the running. Going after big oil and winning reducing taxes in Alaska, cutting the budget and demanding that fraud and corruption were cleaned up. It's a great read and certainly answered many of the questions I had about her. She also talks a great deal about growing up in Alaska and how different that can be from growing up in the lower 48.

Buy me a copy and I will read it. I am not going to buy it though.

The Audacity of Hope is finally in paperback.

Maybe I might buy that piece of shit just so I can use the quotes to ruin every libs arguments here. It is a goldmine of inside information about Obama.

Maybe I might buy that piece of shit just so I can use the quotes to ruin every libs arguments here. It is a goldmine of inside information about Obama.

Reading this sentence really made me think of the difference between Palin and Obama because in her book I bet she never mentions the word Marxist or terrorist to describe her friends and associations. I bet her priest never says "God damn America" and come up with crazy theories why the black man is having genocide committed against them.

I think America will vote for her 2012 simply because they want a normal person in the white house.

No comments on the book???? C'mon, I know people are reading it, that's what I intended this thread to be about, the book, not someone's opinion, but actually what she has written in her book.

For instance, why they shoot wolves in Alaska is because the wolves over populate and kill off the caribou. The native Alaskans eat the caribou, it is essential for their survival, there is not super Walmart on every corner in Alaska. She is a hunter too, and grew up eating moose and caribou, that is very much a part of the Alaskan diet.

Before the debate with Joe Biden- Palin's convictions throughout this book about faith and God: example

" I wasn't nervous, but I could always use some divine inspiration, so I looked around for someone to pray with before I walked onstage. I spotted Piper in the corner, still sipping my pop.

" Come here and pray with Mama, Pipe," I said. No surprise for her; all my kids were used to my praying through life's roller-coaster ups and downs and competitions.

Piper walked over and we clasped hands. She looked up at me with her sweet, round face and freckle-dusted button nose. " Okay, Mom, what should we pray?"

I wanted to say that we should humbly seek the Lord's strength before I explained to 44 million viewers why they should vote for John McCain. I wanted to say that my heart's desire was that our Lord would guide my words in a way that would be truthful and honoring to Him.

But I said, as simply as I could, " Just pray we win the debate."
She drew a deep breath. " Mom! she said. " That would be cheating!"

Piper is 7 years old. LOL Page 294 and 295.

Last edited:
The beauty queen thing was done to pay her tuition for college. Some semesters she and her friend had to skip because they had to earn money to go back to college. She completed her degree in 5 years. She did many things, fishing for salmon was just one of the many ways she earned money to go to college.

She still wears her $35 wedding ring.

Before the debate with Joe Biden- Palin's convictions throughout this book about faith and God: example

" I wasn't nervous, but I could always use some divine inspiration, so I looked around for someone to pray with before I walked onstage. I spotted Piper in the corner, still sipping my pop.

" Come here and pray with Mama, Pipe," I said. No surprise for her; all my kids were used to my praying through life's roller-coaster ups and downs and competitions.

Piper walked over and we clasped hands. She looked up at me with her sweet, round face and freckle-dusted button nose. " Okay, Mom, what should we pray?"

I wanted to say that we should humbly seek the Lord's strength before I explained to 44 million viewers why they should vote for John McCain. I wanted to say that my heart's desire was that our Lord would guide my words in a way that would be truthful and honoring to Him.

Wait...she prayed to God! That should piss off the left.

I've been waiting for the movie

Who do you think they can get to play Sarah?

Wait...she prayed to God! That should piss off the left.

I am sure it will.:lol::lol::lol:

This is a good e-mail that she printed in her book on pages 405-408 from and Alaskan constituent. Keep in mind that the Associated Press sent out 11 journalists to fact check her book. They sent none out to fact check Obama's two books.

A few of her accomplishments as Governor.

A View From Alaska: By Dewey Whetsell

" The last forty-five of my sixty-six years I've spent in a commercial fishing town in Alaska. I understand Alaska politics but never understood national politics well until this last year. Here's the breaking point: Neither side of the Palin controversy gets it. It's not about persona, style, rhetoric, it's about doing things. Even Palin supporters never mention the things that I'm about to mention here."

1. Democrats forget when Palin was the Darling of the Democrats, because as soon as Palin took the governor's office away from a fellow Republican and tough SOB, Frank Murkowski, she tore into the Republicans' Corrupt Bastards Club. (CBC) and sent it packing. Many of it's members are now residing in state housing and wearing orange jumpsuits. The Democrats reacted by skipping around the yard, throwing confetti, and singing " La la la la" ( well, you know how they are). Name another governor in this country who has ever done anything similar. But while you're thinking, I'll continue."

2. Now, with the CBC gone, there were fewer Alaska politicians to protect the giant oil companies here. So Palin constructed and enacted a new system of splitting the oil profits called "ACES." ExxonMobil ( the biggest corporation in the world) protested, and Sarah told it, " Don't let the door hit you in the stern on your way out." It stayed, and Alaska residents went from being merely wealthy to being filthy rich. Of course, the other huge international oil companies fell meekly into line. Again, give the name of any other governor in the country who has done anything similar.

3. The other thing she did when she walked into the governor's office is that she got the list of state requests for federal funding for projects known as "pork." She went through the list, took 85 percent of them out, and placed them in the " when-hell-freezes-over" stack. She let locals know that if we need something built, we'll pay for it ourselves. Maybe she figured she could use the money she got from selling the previous governor's jet because it was extravagant. Maybe she could use the money she saved by dismissing the governor's cook ( remarking that she could cook for her own family), giving back the state vehicle issued to her ( maintaining that she already had a car) and dismissing her state-provided security force ( never mentioning--I imagine--that she was packing heat herself.) I'm still waiting to hear the names of those other governors.

4. Even with her much-ridiculed " gosh and golly" manerisms, she managed to put together a totally new approach to getting a natural gas pipeline built that will be the biggest private construction project in the history of North America. No one else could do it even if they tried. If that doesn't impress you, you're trying too hard to be unimpressed while watching her do things like this while baking up a batch of brownies with her other hand.

5. For thirty years, Exxon held a lease to do exploratory drilling at a place called Point Thomson. It made excuses the entire time for why it couldn't start drilling. In truth it was holding it as an investment. No governor for thirty years could make it get started. This summer, she told Exxon she was revoking it's lease and kicking it out. It protested and threatened court action. She shrugged and reminded them that she knew the way to the courthouse. Alaska won again.

6. President Obama wants the nation to be on 25 percent renewable resources for electricity by 2025. Sarah went to the legislature and submitted her plan for Alaska to be at 50 percent renewable by 2025. We are already at 25 percent. I can give you more specifics about things done, as opposed to style and persona. Everbody wants to be cool, sound cool, look cool. But that's just a cover-up.

I am still waiting to hear from liberals the names of other governors who can match what mine has done in two and a half years. I won't be holding my breath."

To me--that suggests religion does not work.

Thank no God that I am an atheists.

HA!

this thread pretty much sounds like a Palin book signing!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKKgua7wQk[/ame]

Oh, there is no left wing media bias. LOLOLOLOLOL Remember Rathergate and did he not work for CBS? You would think they would learn but they never do.LOLOLOL

From Palin's book, Going Rogue, page 272-275 this has been FACT CHECKED by 11 different Associated Press Journalists.

I couldn't have known it then, but what transpired during the series of interviews and what CBS actually aired were two different breeds of cat. Camera crews shot hours of footage across the U.S; Katie and her producers decided on which fraction America would see-- and let's just say the emphasis was on my worst moments. Editing footage is nothing new, of course,' I created video packages when I worked as a sports reporter. But reponsible editing means you keep substance and context, and trim out fat. When I saw the final cut, it was clear that CBS had sought out the bad moments, and systematically sliced out material that would accurately convey my message. The sin of ommission was glaring.

For example, when John and I sat down with Katie for a segment in Columbus, Ohio, she started with an energy-related question. " Governor Palin, it will take about ten years for domestic drilling to have an impact on consumers, " the anchor said. " so isn't the notion of " drill, baby, drill" a little misleading to people who think this will automatically lower their gas prices and quickly?"

I said, " And it's why we should have started ten years ago tapping into domestic supplies that America is so rich in. Alaska has billions of barrels of oil and hundreds of trillions of cubic feet of clean, green natural gas onshore and offshore. Should have started it ten years ago, but better late than never."

That's the part CBS left in. They edited out a discussion of the need to wean ourselves off hydrocarbons and a call for America to stop spending billions of dollars on foreign oil when we could be investing it at home. Did Katie think Americans wouldn't be interested to know that I was in favor of alternative energy sources and reducing our carbon footprint? Or that I might be a conservative who was both pro-development and pro-environment? Perhaps my answer did not fit her agenda.

Katie then moved on to ANWR. " Experts say it will take almost twenty years.... to achieve peak production," she said. " And it would still only cut foreign oil dependency by about two percent and only for a little while...so is it really worth... the risk?'

I replied that I didn't know which experts those were. But I explained that as the chair of the AOGCC and IOGCC, I knew from the geologists and petroleum engineers with whom I had worked that it could be done a lot quicker. I also pointed out that ANWR is a 2,000-acre plot that's in the midst of 21 million acres. Americans needed to know how unconscionable it is that anti-development radicals use ANWR as their fund-raising poster child. They use bogus Photoshopped pictures showing moutains and waterfalls and lush forests with Bambi prancing to and fro. That's all fake and these fund-raisers know it. It is an absolutely barren, permanently frozen, remote sliver of land that requires a minimal drilling footprint, and its development parameters are equivalent to the size of L.A's airport. But neither Katie's question nor my answer wound up on the air.

I knew the media would distort my responses on social issues. But I thought surely they couldn't distort my economic and energy-related responses, because they would have to stick with the facts. I was mistaken.

Though Katie edited out substantive answers, she dutifully kept in the moments where I wore my annoyance on my sleeve. For instance, when she asked me how living in Alaska informed my foreign policy experience, I began by trying to frame the geo-graphical context. Lower 48ers grow up seeing our state tucked with Hawaii in a litte square off the coast of Mexico on the nightly news weather map. So I began by trying to squeeze a geographical primer into a ten-second sound bite, explaning that only a narrow maritime border separates Alaska from Russia, that we're very near the Pacific Rim countries, and that we're bordered by Canada.

But Katie interrupted and I did not complete my answer. I wish now I had stopped her and said, " here's the geographical context. Now may I answer your question?"

There was so much I could and should have said, and I later kicked myself for not doing so. There was much Katie appeared not to know, or care to hear about. For instance, that Alaska's geographic position makes our relations with Pacific Rim countries of great strategic import, and that we're the air crossroads of the world. That Russian bombers often play cat-and mouse with our Air Force near Alaska's airspace. That I dealt with Canadian officials on a weekly basis and have signed agreements concerning everything from security to salmon fishing and that NAFTA has significantly affected our economy. That melting polar sea ice has created trade routes but has also created security threats to North America. That Alaska takes on Japanese and Russian fishing trawlers that want to ravage the ocean floor. That Chinese and Russian energy companies had both sought access to ( and possible control of) our natural gas resources. That these and other countries were staking their own resource claims in Artic waters while the U.S sat on its hands. And that, yes, you can indeed see Russia from Alaska.

And those were just the foreign policy issues ( though issues certainly foreign to most governors). How much more I would have liked to say about Alaska's contribution to the U.S economy, its potential to help the nation reduce its dependence on foreign energy sources, and the delicate balancing act required to manage and responsibly develop our abundant wildlife resources.

But Katie wasn't interested in discussing these issues. And when I did, she didn't air them. Instead, when I tried to describe frequent Russian incursions by figuratively referring to Vladimir Putin entering our airspace, CBS researched the Russian leader's actual flight plan over the United States and called my statement inaccurate. And when I referenced Alaska's narrow maritime border to describe our close proximity to other nations, CBS reported that the Coast Guard monitored the border and not the governor.

But Katie's purpose--shared by most media types--seemed to be to frame a "gotcha" moment. And it worked. Instead of my scoring points for John McCain, I knew that I had let the team down.

For all of you historically challenged liberals, you do know that during World War 11, the Japanese entered Alaska attempting to get a foot hold there. Thankfully they were beaten back.

Alaska is not an important state to you libs but the Japanese certainly thought it was.
Aleutian Islands Campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For all of you historically challenged liberals, you do know that during World War 11, the Japanese entered Alaska attempting to get a foot hold there. Thankfully they were beaten back.

Alaska is not an important state to you libs but the Japanese certainly thought it was.
Aleutian Islands Campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

World War 11? Holy shit! Did I miss the last 8? :eek:

FYI: Alaska did not become a U.S. state until 1959.

Reading this sentence really made me think of the difference between Palin and Obama because in her book I bet she never mentions the word Marxist or terrorist to describe her friends and associations. I bet her priest never says "God damn America" and come up with crazy theories why the black man is having genocide committed against them.

I think America will vote for her 2012 simply because they want a normal person in the white house.

and once again you will be wrong

I think the intelligentsia doesn't like her because, well, she doesn't speak egghead.
She's obviously a tough and shrewd person.
As annoying as the media is, they are the gatekeepers, and image does count. Sometimes the media is simply too image obsessed.
They don't like her image.
It really started to unravel when they went after her daughter and her out of wedlock pregnancy. Sarah's motherly instincts finally did her in politically. She lashed out.

The scariest thing about the media is that journalists skirt the line with activist. I think some of them can't help it.

Last edited:
I think the intelligentsia doesn't like her because, well, she doesn't speak egghead.
She's obviously a tough and shrewd person.
As annoying as the media is, they are the gatekeepers, and image does count. Sometimes the media is simply too image obsessed.
They don't like her image.
It really started to unravel when they went after her daughter and her out of wedlock pregnancy. Sarah's motherly instincts finally did her in politically. She lashed out.

The scariest thing about the media is that journalists skirt the line with activist. I think some of them can't help it.

educated people don't like her because she is an idiot. the media has nothing to do with that

Forum List

Back