The Obama effect continues...No 'special relationship' between Britain and US: MPs

im not sure where you're coming from. i was in the UK during the g20 and obama was well received. ....
And that is relevant to my statement about Obama not liking the Brits, how?

Idiot.

.... what would make you say that he dislikes them?:doubt: i should say what actions of his make you say that?
See, there WAS this bust of Churchill in the Oval Office. It was by a good artist and quite valuable. It was a gift to the USA from the UK.

Obama didn't want it and rather than just move it to even a closet in the WH, Obama sent it back to the Brits.

Either Obama is a complete social Klutz (not good for a US President), or his message to the UK is crystal clear.

(Wait for the spin on that.)

If the Oval Office contained every significant "gift" ever accumulated by a president, it would look like my Aunt Hanna's cellar. Likewise, the British Prime Minister and the Queen and King have amassed so many "gifts" from foreign leaders, they can barely even feign excitement anymore. You're equating trinkets to foreign relations? I can hear the conversation now: "We're pulling our troops out of Afghanistan because you won't display the bust of Churchill..."
It's no trinket. And, those with any sense of social grace would put it in a closet, not send a gift BACK to the giver.

You would, though, obviously.

Idiot.

See, there WAS this bust of Churchill in the Oval Office. It was by a good artist and quite valuable. It was a gift to the USA from the UK.

Obama didn't want it and rather than just move it to even a closet in the WH, Obama sent it back to the Brits.

Either Obama is a complete social Klutz (not good for a US President), or his message to the UK is crystal clear.

If the Oval Office contained every significant "gift" ever accumulated by a president, it would look like my Aunt Hanna's cellar. Likewise, the British Prime Minister and the Queen and King have amassed so many "gifts" from foreign leaders, they can barely even feign excitement anymore. You're equating trinkets to foreign relations? I can hear the conversation now: "We're pulling our troops out of Afghanistan because you won't display the bust of Churchill..."
It's no trinket. And, those with any sense of social grace would put it in a closet, not send a gift BACK to the giver.

Didn't read the entire thread, huh..... If you had, you would have seen that the return was arranged by the Bush administration. Apparently that was the understanding.

Didn't read the entire thread, huh..... If you had, you would have seen that the return was arranged by the Bush administration. Apparently that was the understanding.
MSNBC is the only source saying that. The UK papers and all other sources do not indicate anything of the sort. Even the ambassador from the UK says Obama returned it. Social klutz.

But when British officials offered to let Mr Obama to hang onto the bust for a further four years, the White House said: "Thanks, but no thanks."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/4623148/Barack-Obama-sends-bust-of-Winston-Churchill-on-its-way-back-to-Britain.html

Last edited:

Idiot.

I have no problem with Obama wanting to change the Oval Office to suit his personal tastes. He's a black man, I think it's entirely understandable that he might want a bust of MLK.

But I'd have thought the smarter move under such circumstances would be to arrange for it to be given on extended loan to one of the major Washington art museums. Simply returning it (particularly a bust of Churchill) was almost guaranteed to cause some annoyance. It wasn't a particularly diplomatic decision.

Though it is possible I guess that this was done to make a statement to the wider world (and in particular to certain Middle East countries) that the old order was changing.

I have no problem with Obama wanting to change the Oval Office to suit his personal tastes. He's a black man, I think it's entirely understandable that he might want a bust of MLK.

But I'd have thought the smarter move under such circumstances would be to arrange for it to be given on extended loan to one of the major Washington art museums. Simply returning it (particularly a bust of Churchill) was almost guaranteed to cause some annoyance. It wasn't a particularly diplomatic decision.

Though it is possible I guess that this was done to make a statement to the wider world (and in particular to certain Middle East countries) that the old order was changing.
Yup. Sending it back spoke volumes.

Forum List

Back