The Obama administration is off to a great start!

Everyone blaming everyone and nobody sees the big picture. Republicans think cutting taxes and cutting spending is the entire answer. Dems think the Republicans are wrong but provide no answers.

Here's the problem folks. Many factors have changed. During the first six years of the Bush administration, the economy was decent. Unemployment was near all time lows, yet the economy was only showing paltry growth. Why is that? I'll tell you why; because our population is not increasing as rapidly as it has in the past. On top of that, the only real population growth we have is coming from immigration, and there are no real controls over that immigration. We let anyone into this country for the most part. New Zealand and Australia constantly seek new immigrants. However, if you are over 45, you basically can't get in. If you don't have a viable trade or skill, you can't get in either. If you are allowed in, you have to work, and you have to be young enough to contribute to the social retirement programs for a significant amount of time, so that when you start collecting from those programs, you at least have paid into those programs for a reasonable amount of time.

We let anyone in and a lot of these people end up on the dole. Even if they don't end up on the dole right away, they aren't here long enough to make a solid contribution. And the older they are, the less they help to increase our population through childbirth.

While the Bush economy was decent for the first six years, there was no real growth. Ask yourself how we could have grown that economy more? That would have required the creation of more jobs. With unemployment at near all time lows, who would have filled those jobs?

The next question is how can we change this or should we? Our population cannot continue to grow forever. At some point we will need to base our economy on a stagnant or even possibly decreasing population, and that changes everything.

When we look at the budget deficit, no one addresses the real problem behind it. For the last 25 or so years, we've been borrowing from the SS surplus in order to keep the budget close to being balanced. Well guess what? The SS surplus is drying up as we're having to pay as much out in benefits as we are bringing in. Guess what's going to happen once we have to pay out more than we're taking in? Unless we start having a lot of kids real soon, these deficits will continue to balloon or we're going to have to find another way to pay for all of these programs.

The die hard conservatives say we should just get rid of these programs, cut spending. Moderate conservatives realize we can't just get rid of SS and Medicare; it is our biggest safety net and without this country would fall into chaos. And because most politicians are more concerned with keeping their jobs, most of them just tell us that SS and Medicare will be okay. Yea, I'm that stupid to believe that.

SS and Medicare need to be kept solvent, but they need to be changed. The retirement age to collect benefits needs to be raised dramatically to between 70 and 72 years of age. Healthcare costs, in general must be reduced. It doesn't matter if we have the greatest healthcare system in the world, which is debatable anyway, if only the super wealthy can afford it. If health insurance rates continue to increase by double digit percentages every year, it won't be long until it will no longer be affordable to even the middle class.

Next on the agenda is military spending. Why is it that we are paying close to half of the entire military costs of the entire world? At one time it was for our own security, and that argument can still be made. However, the fact is that we cover our allies asses when it comes to the military, and they don't help foot any part of the bill. If we feel the need to have military bases throughout the world, and our allies want us to continue providing protection, then maybe they ought to foot part of the bill.

The environment of non-ending growth is about to come to a standstill, and we better begin to look for solutions with those conditions in mind. Conservatives will argue that cutting taxes is the only way to grow the economy, but the Dems are right that if the middle class continues to fade away, it won't matter, because the wealthy won't have anyone to sell their products to, and then the wealthy will become poor. The middle class is what drives our economy. When the middle class stops buying, everyone suffers. So the wealthy may need to foot a bigger portion of the tax bill. That doesn't mean we should rape the wealthy; this can't become a class warfare because that will do just as much harm. But we need to find a balance that makes sense, and one that allows the middle class to thrive while keeping it worthwhile for the wealthy to continue investing for the future.

I'm sick of all the BS the politicians give us, with zero thought for the future. Maybe things need to get extremely bad before we wake up and begin to elect representatives that care more about the long term welfare of this great country rather than their own selfish agendas.

With all of the truly serious issues we face, don't you find it amusing that stupid issues like abortion and gay marriage are even discussed? It just drives me nuts. Anyway, you all just keep bickering about Obama and what he will do or won't. I'm sure that you'll all find the answer somewhere. Blame Bush; blame Obama; blame anyone you want. But God forbid, don't discuss the serious issues or how we're going to turn things around with so many new variables on the table. I'd hate to think that there might be some real answers out there.

Last edited:
A sad day for me as I say maybe I should have accepted that round table invatation to the Republican party's party in years past. I rarely say "I should have." Yet by what I see today I really should have.

Common sense went out the door when we cannot get together and help work these problems out in a bipartisan manner that will benefit everyone in the long term.

Toss out the childish bantering out of the political parties and get down to business or there will be little left for either party to party over.

Friend, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with "Parties"; this is a fight of ideology... meaning the IDEAS, the base thinking... that of reason such as that found in Americans or that of unbridled idiocy, such as that found advocated by leftists... and there is no meeting them to solve this problem, considering that THEY ARE THE PROBLEM.

It seems to me that republicans have a worse record on balencing budgets than Dems do.

"It seems..." But it's not... go look at the numbers and you'll find without exception the Americans were plagued with leftists in their ranks; leftists that steadily increased social spending, while the Americans were forced to rebuild the national defense means that the previous leftist administrations had eviscerated.

Rs increase the deficit well over dems.

LOL... "Rs" Not Conservatives... The GOP is, as I just stated plagued with subversive 'moderates' OKA: Fascists... who tend towards accepting the ludicrous notions of the left... Party is meaningless anymore and it will remain so until the GOP stops trying to ou left the left with insane social spending.

Bush and the republican party create a god awful mess of this country and then balme Obama for it before he even has any control?

ROFL... The great thing here is that "Bush" increased social spending and 'the mess' he made is a result of his having NOT STOPPED the ideological left's non-stop interference in the markets... THAT will only get worse with Hesitant-Elect Hussein... yet here you are claiming Bush made a mess while advocating for more of that policy which MADE THE MESS about which you are complaining... but hey... that's what idiots do.

Damn can you guys get any more dishonest?

What tickles me about this is you are a leftists; and leftism itself is founded upon nothing BUT corruption and exist in a total void of principle.

Forum List

Back