The oath of the President of the United States could as well be taken by a pagan.....

Official archives are considered unbiased primary source document.

So, post the historical document in the official archives that you believe is the best evidence that GW added "so help me God" to his oath of office.

Neither the House or Senate Journal accounts of Washington's first swearing-in ceremony mentions the addition of "so help me God" or a Bible.

Below are excerpts from Senator Maclay's Journal including his eyewitness account of President Washington's first swearing in ceremony. Maclay's account does not mention the addition of "so help me God" or a Bible. It also contradicts your claim that it was an "open air" ceremony.

Journal of William Maclay, United States Senator from Pennsylvania, 1789-1791

CHAPTER I. ON TITLES AND CEREMONIES.

27th April, 1789, Monday.-- …

A new arrangement was reported from the Joint Committee of Ceremonies. This is an endless business. Lee offered a motion to the Chair that after the President was sworn (which now is to be in the gallery opposite the Senate chamber), the Congress should accompany him to Saint Paul's Church and attend divine service. This had been agitated in Joint Committee. But Lee said expressly that they would not agree to it. I opposed it as an improper business after it had been in the hands of the Joint Committee and rejected, as I thought this a certain method of creating a dissenion between the Houses. Izard got up in great wrath and stuttered that the fact was not so. He, however, would say nothing more. I made an effort to rise. The Vice-President hurried the question, and it was put and carried by the churchman. Mr. Carrol, though he had been the first to speak against it, yet was silent on this vote. This proves him not file man of firmness which I once thought him.

30th April, Thursday.—

This is a great, important day. Goddess of etiquette, assist me while I describe it. The Senate stood adjourned to half after eleven o'clock. About ten dressed in my best clothes; went for Mr. Morris' lodgings, but met his son, who told me that his father would not be in town until Saturday. Turned into the Hall. The crowd already great. The Senate met. The Vice-President rose in the most solemn manner. This son of Adam seemed impressed with deeper gravity, yet what shall I think of him? He often, in the midst of his most important airs--I believe when tie is at loss for expressions (and this he often is, wrapped up, I suppose, in the contemplation of his own importance)-- suffers an unmeaning kind of vacant laugh to escape him. This was the case to-day, and really to me bore the air of ridiculing the farce he was acting. "Gentlemen, I wish for the direction of the Senate. The President will, I suppose, addressthe Congress. How shall I behave? How shall we receive it? Shall it be standing or sitting?"

Here followed a considerable deal of talk from him which I could make nothing of. Mr. Lee began with the House of Commons (as is usual with him), then the House of Lords, then the King, and then back again. The result of his information was, that the Lords sat and the Commons stood on the delivery of the King's speech.

Mr. Izard got up and told how often he had been in the Houses of Parliament. He said a great deal of what he had seen there. [He] made, however, this sagacious discovery, that the Commons stood because they had no. seats to sit on, being arrived at the bar of the House of Lords. It was discovered after some time that the King sat, too, and had his robes and crown on.

Mr. Adams got up again and said he had been very often indeed at the Parliament on those occasions, but there always was such a crowd, and ladies along, that for his part he could not say how it was. Mr. Carrol got up to declare that he thought it of no consequence how it was in Great Britain; they were no rule to us, etc. But all at once the Secretary, who had been out, whispered to the Chair that the Clerk from the Representatives was at the door with a communication. Gentlemen of the Senate, how shall he be received? A silly kind of resolution of the committee on that business had been laid on the table some days ago. The amount of it was that each House should communicate to the other what and how they chose; it concluded, however, something in this way: That everything should be done with all the propriety that was proper. The question was, Shall this be adopted, that we may know how to receive the Clerk? It was objected [that] this will throw no light on the subject; it will leave you where you are.

Mr. Lee brought the House of Commons before us again. He reprobated the rule; declared that the Clerk should not come within the bar of file House; that the proper mode was for the Sergeant-at-Arms, with the mace on his shoulder, to meet the Clerk at the door and receive his communication; we are not, however, provided for this ceremonious way of doing business, having neither mace nor sergeant nor Masters in Chancery, who carry down bills from the English Lords.

Mr. Izard got up and labored unintelligibly to show the great distinction between a communication and a delivery of a thing, but he was not minded. Mr. Elsworth showed plainly enough that if the Clerk was not permitted to deliver the communication, the Speaker might as well send it inclosed. Repeated accounts came [that] the Speaker and Representatives were at the door.

Confusion ensued; the members left their seats. Mr. Read rose and called the attention of the Senate to the neglect that had been shown Mr. Thompson, late Secretary. Mr. Lee rose to answer him, but I could not hear one word he said. The Speaker was introduced, followed by the Representatives. Here we sat an hour and ten minutes before the President arrived--this delay was owing to Lee, Izard, and Dalton, who had stayed with us while the Speaker came in, instead of going to attend the President.

The President advanced between the Senate and Representatives, bowing to each. He was placed in the chair by the Vice-President; the Senate with their president on the right, the Speaker and the Representatives on his left. The Vice-President rose and addressed a short sentence to him. The import of it was that he should now take the oath of office as President. He seemed to have forgot half what he was to say, for he made a dead pause and stood for some time, to appearance, in a vacant mood. He finished with a formal bow, and the President was conducted out of the middle window into the gallery, and the oath was administered by the Chancellor. Notice that the business done was communicated to the crowd by proclamation, etc., who gave three cheers, and repeated it on the President's bowing to them.

As the company returned into the Senate chamber, the President took the chair and the Senators and Representatives their seats. He rose, and all arose also and addressed them (see the address). This great man was agitated and embarrassed more than ever he was by the leveled cannon or pointed musket. He trembled, and several times could scarce make out to read, though it must be supposed he had often read it before. He put part of the fingers of his left hand into the side of what I think the tailors call the fall of the breeches [corresponding to the modern side-pocket], changing the paper into his left
hand. After some time he then did the same with some of the fingers of his right hand. When he came to the words all the world, he made a flourish with his right hand, which left rather an ungainly impression. I sincerely, for my part, wished all set ceremony in the hands of the dancing-masters, and that this first of men had read off his address in the plainest manner, without ever taking his eyes from the paper, for I felt hurt that he was not first in everything. He was dressed in deep brown, with metal buttons, with an eagle on them, white stockings, a bag, and sword.

From the hall there was a grand procession to Saint Paul's Church, where prayers were said by the Bishop. The procession was well conducted and without accident, as far as I have heard. The militia were all under arms, lined the street near the church, made a good figure, and behaved well.

The Senate returned to their chamber after service, formed, and took up the address. Our Vice-President called it his most gracious speech. I can not approve of this. A committee was appointed on it--Johnson, Carrol, Patterson. Adjourned. In the evening there were grand fireworks. The Spanish Ambassador's house was adorned with transparent paintings; the French Minister's house was illuminated, and had some transparent pieces; the Hall was grandly illuminated, and after all this the people went to bed.​

Deeply rooted in tradition, the presidential inauguration marks a new beginning for both the United States and its brand new president. Beginning with General George Washington's 1789 inauguration in New York City, many presidents have added their own unique traditions that will continue into 2001.

The oath of office is the main focus of the inauguration ceremony and the only part required by law. In Article II, Section 1, of the U.S. Constitution, the founding fathers provided an oath of office for the President-elect's official swearing in. This 35-word vow has not changed since the 18th century.

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will try to the best of my ability, to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

George Washington added the phrase "so help me God" to the end of his oath, and almost every president has added it since. He also followed his swearing-in with the first inaugural address -- another tradition most presidents have also adopted.

"The preservation of the sacred fire of liberty, and the destiny of the Republican model of Government, are justly considered as deeply, perhaps as finally staked, on the experiment entrusted to the hands of the American people," Washington said.

During his second inauguration, Washington received his oath from William Cushing, an associate justice of the Supreme Court who was the first in a long line of members of the court to perform the ceremony. Washington also set the precedent of kissing the Bible after taking the oath of office. Although most presidents use a Bible, some presidents have opted to affirm their oath rather than swear to it.

Thomas Jefferson was the first president to be sworn in as president in Washington DC, which did not officially become the US capital until 1801. After Jefferson's second inauguration, he rode on horseback from the Capitol to the President's house surrounded by mechanics from the nearby Navy Yard and military band music. This procession grew into the current-day Inaugural Parade.

The parade, like most of the ceremony, often reflects the tastes of the incoming Commander in Chief. Theodore Roosevelt's 1905 parade included almost 35,000 participants, from cowboys to miners and his old Spanish-American war Calvary regiment, the Rough Riders, on horseback. Many inaugural parades include military and marching bands, tumblers, cheerleaders, and floats representing all aspects of American life.

Inauguration Day was originally set for March 4, giving electors from each state nearly four months after Election Day to cast their ballots for president. In 1933, the day of inauguration was changed by constitutional amendment from March 4 to Jan. 20 to speed the changeover of administrations.

George Washington's first inauguration was held outside but the tradition did not hold until Andrew Jackson became president in 1829. Since then, the ceremony has been held outdoors except in cases of extreme weather. On March 4, 1841, William Henry Harrison showed enthusiasm for the office he won at age 68 by delivering the longest inauguration speech in history - 8,600 words at 90 minutes - in a driving ice storm. He was dead from pneumonia within a month.

The ceremony moved from the Capitol's East Front to the West Front during Ronald Reagan's first inaugural in 1981. He wanted to face west to symbolize his connection to California, his home state where he served as governor for seven years. The next presidents, Bush and Clinton, were inaugurated at the West Front as well, which has more room for hundreds of thousands of spectators to witness the event on the National Mall.

Although Washington did have an informal ball after his inauguration, the first official Inaugural Ball was held in honor of James Madison. As more people wanted to share in the festivities, later inaugurals included multiple public balls throughout the capitol and some in other cities. No fewer than nine Inaugural Balls will be held to honor President Bush later this month.

Many presidents have walked to or from their inaugural ceremonies to show their affinity with the American people. Thomas Jefferson walked from his boarding house to the unfinished Capitol Building during his first inauguration and back for dinner. Jimmy Carter was the first president to walk from the Capitol to the White House after the ceremony. Both George Bush in 1989 and Bill Clinton in 1993 each stepped out of their limousines to welcome well-wishers along the parade route.

In 1961, poet Robert Frost read his poem "The Gift Outright" at the inauguration of John Kennedy. Nearly thirty years later, Bill Clinton revived the tradition to honor Kennedy. Arkansas-native and poet Maya Angelou read her poem entitled "The Rock Cries Out To Us Today" in 1993. Arkansas poet Miller Williams read "Of History and Hope" at Clinton's 1997 inaugural.

President-elect Bush will have the chance to put his own personal touch on the inaugural ceremony by continuing these traditions and perhaps initiating new ones. The theme for this year's inaugural will be "Celebrating America's Spirit Together" and will incorporate some events of the past including an Inauguration Day church service, the swearing-in at the Capitol, the inaugural parade and eight inaugural balls.

Three separate organizations are responsible for planning the modern inauguration. Various military groups provide logistical support and also have a role in the ceremony itself. The Presidential Inaugural Committee has final say on nearly every detail, down to the music played by the Army and Marine bands. The Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies handles most events at the Capitol.

On the actual day of inauguration, people travel from across the country to view both the swearing-in and the inaugural parade. Bill Clinton's second inaugural had almost 250,000 people in attendance and over 6,000 marchers in the parade. Hundreds of school groups, political junkies and marching bands spend months raising money, making the trip to Washington D.C. to bear witness to the ascension of a new American president.

President-elect Bush will be sworn in as the 43rd President of the United States on January 20, 2001. The day after inaugural, Bush will host an open house at the White House allowing the public a glimpse inside Bush's new home.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/inauguration/history.html

George Washington added the phrase "so help me God" to the end of his oath...

Show us some credible first hand historical evidence to support your claim.

and almost every president has added it since.

Name those Presidents who did not add "so help me God."

Washington also set the precedent of kissing the Bible after taking the oath of office.

Evidence?

George Washington's first inauguration was held outside

Evidence?

I am sure they could come up with a suitable oath to cover all scenarios.

What is the big deal if Washington used “God” or not? In either case, it is not required to reference “God” when taking the oath.

By the way, I wish that I could go for a walk, wander into a different yard, into a different house, and “discover” a new television the way that Columbus “discovered” America.

What is the big deal if Washington used “God” or not? In either case, it is not required to reference “God” when taking the oath.

Conservative Communistic Counterfeit Christian Republicans believe the actions of civil officers alter the meaning of the words of the Constitution, to acknowledge God as the source of authority for civil government, Jesus Christ as ruler of the nations and the Bible as the source of all law. Justice Antonin Scalia is a good example.

Forum List

Back