The NYPD effed up

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Occupy Wall Street protesters sue New York City

This contradicts police statements to the media: “They were warned not to walk on the roadway — the people that walked on the pedestrian walkway, there was no issue — the ones on vehicular roadway, they chose to anyway, and they were arrested.”

However, in this video, police can be seen leading protesters onto the Brooklyn Bridge roadway.

“This was a form of entrapment, both illegal and physical,” plaintiffs asserted.

The suit describes the entire event as a charade by the cops who filmed their use of a bullhorn to warn protesters to leave the bridge. Problem is, the bullhorn was inaudible and the cops had blocked both ends of the protest line.

Plaintiffs cite case law affirming that “the Constitution requires that any ostensible command must be heard by those who are expected to be bound by it.”

Instead, the suit clarifies that “the NYPD engaged in a performance, videotaped it, and sprang their trap. They then set their PR machine into motion, distributing widely edited videos of events to spin a false narrative of events to the public and media.”

Between that and the JP Morgan contribution, things are really starting to look ugly in NYC.

Hey NYPD, Give Morgan Its Money Back! » Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

• Banned
A lot of this could have been avoided if they hadn't tried to play games. Just let the people do what they want to do within the confines of the law. That's it.

Do they not know about iPhones, Facebook and Twitter? They can't get away with anything. And certainly not in a crowd of this magnitude.

Whew! Girl, you know how to make someone think!

Again, generally I'm for the "little people" (like myself), but some of this is ridiculous. It's never a good idea to call the bluff of a man or woman carrying a gun.

My father's been a police officer for 35 years. I'm guessing that most of NYPD is concerned with one thing: Going home to his/her family at the end of 8 hours. They aren't concerned with the politics of what's happening. Probably some of them agree, and some of them disagree. They are probably much more forgiving in New York as a whole, than a Tennessee police officer would be.

I can't seem to find a video of the incident. Still looking.

They are as passionate about their plight, as the NYPD employees are about keeping their jobs and feeding their families. That's what I think. I have job security as long as people continue to ride motorcycles at 120 mph, and rednecks continue to say "Watch this!".

NYPD is just trying to survive like the rest of we little people.

The video does not prove anything IMO.

Here is it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz67fULXc-0]Police Leading #OccupyWallStreet Protesters Onto The Brooklyn Bridge Traffic Lane - YouTube[/ame]

Strangely it cuts off just as it would seem the cops are turning and directing them onto the walkway. Where is the rest of this video? Not to mention did the cops say ‘follow us’ or did the protestors just walk behind them after an order was given?

EDIT: Deleted, cuz I'm inclined to agree with the version Cafe au Lait linked to.

The NYPD may not be be squeaky clean, but it looks like in this case they may have been provoked.

Last edited:
Waiting for the big bad ACLU to get involved and really make some wingnut heads explode.

This has been NYPD standard procedure - to force people at protests into breaking the law, and then arrest them. That's why getting arrested at a protest is a badge of pride in NY - half the elected officials in NY have done it.

If the NYPD loses this, it'll be a landmark case. But they'll probably win.

Yeah it does look like entrapment to me, too.

But honestly, what protestor didn't KNOW that blocking a BRIDGE was a BAD IDEA?

They are trying to discredit this group with everything they have.

Its not going to happen.

This protest is not going to be beaten down or entrapped out of exsistance.

They are going to end up cleaning up the NYPD as well as winning the debate in the end

They are trying to discredit this group with everything they have.

Its not going to happen.

This protest is not going to be beaten down or entrapped out of exsistance.

They are going to end up cleaning up the NYPD as well as winning the debate in the end

THEY ARE DOING THAT ON THEIR OWN.

Please point out in the section of law that allows commerce to be stopped?

Forum List

Back