The Nuking of Nagasaki: Even More Immoral and Unnecessary than Hiroshima

... I will do whatever is necessary to defend my family and my people. ...

Targeting and annihilating hundreds of thousands of civilians of a defeated nation was NOT necessary.
I call you a lying moron. EVERY single nation did it. And Japan refused to surrender, I keep asking, LINK to ANY surrender document, any announcement, any communique by Japans Government to the Allies or the US where they offered to surrender BEFORE EITHER BOMB was dropped.

... I have enough sense to know that I do not have the training information or experience to decide military strategy and I don't believe you do either. ...

But the American military commanders of the time did. I have provided you with quotes on their views regarding the matter many times.
You have claimed to quote a couple of commanders. In any discussion there is more than a single opinion nor is a decision of that magnitude reached or carried out by any tiny group of individuals. An Admiral may be a master of Naval battle but have little knowledge of the ground combat that an invasion would have required. We had just fought some very tough and costly battles capturing tiny islands. Throwing away American lives would have been criminal if there were other options. I-and most Americans-are glad there were.

... I have enough sense to know that I do not have the training information or experience to decide military strategy and I don't believe you do either. ...

But the American military commanders of the time did. I have provided you with quotes on their views regarding the matter many times.
You have claimed to quote a couple of commanders. In any discussion there is more than a single opinion nor is a decision of that magnitude reached or carried out by any tiny group of individuals. An Admiral may be a master of Naval battle but have little knowledge of the ground combat that an invasion would have required. We had just fought some very tough and costly battles capturing tiny islands. Throwing away American lives would have been criminal if there were other options. I-and most Americans-are glad there were.
He has NEVER ONCE linked to any actual offer by the Japanese Government to surrender, he did claim my linking to their attempts to get The Soviets and Sweden to broker a ceasefire with return to 41 lines was a lie and then he linked to an article in a paper that ACTUALLY said that besides my link to official intercepts. He keeps claiming we had options BUT he can not will not and has never stated any such options other then Bomb them and invade them. That's because a continued blockade would have seen millions of Japanese Starve and freeze to death and he doesn't want to admit that.

... The world holds Nations responsible for the actions of that Nation. The entire nation. ...

NO, the entire world does NOT share your moral depravity. The entire world does NOT agree with your notion that every civilian - women, children, the elderly - are fair game when two militaries are engaged in combat. That is YOUR moral bankruptcy.
My morals are just fine, thank you. Your ignorance of history is astounding.

... Throwing away American lives would have been criminal if there were other options. I-and most Americans-are glad there were.

Pursuing even the possibility of a much earlier peace was an option that, if it had worked out, would have saved many more lives. fdr was not interested in that. He demonstrated no concern for human life (or freedom or the US Constitution, for that matter), American or not.

... The world holds Nations responsible for the actions of that Nation. The entire nation. ...

NO, the entire world does NOT share your moral depravity. The entire world does NOT agree with your notion that every civilian - women, children, the elderly - are fair game when two militaries are engaged in combat. That is YOUR moral bankruptcy.
My morals are just fine, thank you. Your ignorance of history is astounding.

You are mistaken on both counts.

... Throwing away American lives would have been criminal if there were other options. I-and most Americans-are glad there were.

Pursuing even the possibility of a much earlier peace was an option that, if it had worked out, would have saved many more lives. fdr was not interested in that. He demonstrated no concern for human life (or freedom or the US Constitution, for that matter), American or not.
I keep asking for you to provide any FACTUAL links to any attempt by the Japanese Government to surrender, YOU can not and have not. Again all Japan offered through Sweden and the Soviets was a Ceasefire, return to 41 start lines, NO concessions in China and no action what so ever against Japan. I have linked to ACTUAL HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS that clearly state this and show who said what to whom.

... US forces had pretty clean hands in that respect...

Like the Biscari massacre? Or the practice of sending home ears, skulls, and shin bones of Japanese POWs as 'souvenirs'? I expect US forces had relatively cleaner hands, but nobody's hands come out clean from war. Doesn't make any atrocity on any side acceptable.
True.
Bones from Japanese POWs? Very unlikely since there were very few Japanese POWs in the first case. Only 5424 Japanese were taken prisoner by US forces during the entire war. Bones from dead Japanese soldiers I will buy, the actions of both the IJA and IJN inspired a great deal of hatred among both American troops and civilians. As recently as fifteen years ago I had living relatives who absolutely hated the Japanese for things they suffered at the hands of SNLF and IJA troops in the Pacific.

By that logic, it'd be legitimate to kill everyone on the planet.

Yes. We'll die. The only thing we can do is to pray to God about merci.

No, ethics are a product of logic. Logic is objective, so Ethics are derived from logic, making Ethics objective as well.

No. Ethic is much more ancient than logic.

Actually, I refer to everyone who pays taxes as tax cattle, because it's what they are to the Government. So, this is just another thing that went right over your head.
No. People are much more than taxpayers. They are flesh and blood and brain of the society. For example, father of Kuniaki Koiso was an ordinary shizoku. Father of Joseph Stalin was a poor shoemaker from Georgia. They became leaders of their nation only because they fitted the will of majority.

... US forces had pretty clean hands in that respect...

Like the Biscari massacre? Or the practice of sending home ears, skulls, and shin bones of Japanese POWs as 'souvenirs'? I expect US forces had relatively cleaner hands, but nobody's hands come out clean from war. Doesn't make any atrocity on any side acceptable.
True.
Bones from Japanese POWs? Very unlikely since there were very few Japanese POWs in the first case. Only 5424 Japanese were taken prisoner by US forces during the entire war. Bones from dead Japanese soldiers I will buy, the actions of both the IJA and IJN inspired a great deal of hatred among both American troops and civilians. As recently as fifteen years ago I had living relatives who absolutely hated the Japanese for things they suffered at the hands of SNLF and IJA troops in the Pacific.

Their Nation attacked my nation and that made their nation an enemy of my nation. ...

Another nation's military attacked our military. Our military defeated their military and enervated their ability to wage war further. After the enemy military was beaten (according to the assessment of our top military commanders of the time), we then deliberately and specifically targeted and incinerated hundreds of thousands of civilians via the most terrible weapon ever devised.

Those are FACTS.
They were not "beaten" until they finished their resistance and officially declared their capitulation.

Bullspit. The war was ongoing and lives and equipment were being lost every day. The quicker it was over the better for everyone except the Japanese government and war criminals which is exactly the reason they were dragging it out. That defeat was certain had been apparent for some time but the Japanese government seemed quite content to let the killing continue indefinitely. There was no telling how long they were willing to draw things out and no way to predict the cost of allowing that. A nation has no responsibility for the lives of the enemy during time of war except as stated in the UCMJ and legal ROE and many Americans who had lost friends and family members for no better reason than that the Japanese decided to attack us would have been happy to see every single Japanese exterminated. It was the Japanese government who were (ir)responible for the Japanese people. Constitution? Freedom? The US Constitution assures the Rights and duties of US citizens; not the people who were killing them. If the Japanese wanted freedom they had to get it from the Japanese government. In short, if you wish to avoid the effects of war you should be very careful when and with whom you start one.

Their Nation attacked my nation and that made their nation an enemy of my nation. ...

Another nation's military attacked our military. Our military defeated their military and enervated their ability to wage war further. After the enemy military was beaten (according to the assessment of our top military commanders of the time), we then deliberately and specifically targeted and incinerated hundreds of thousands of civilians via the most terrible weapon ever devised.

Those are FACTS.
They were not "beaten" until ...

Tell Admiral Leahy.

Bullspit. The war was ongoing and lives and equipment were being lost every day. The quicker it was ov....

Are you trying to say that ending the war earlier would not have saved more lives?

Forum List

Back