The notion that the Earth was the center of the universe was once "settled science"...

Except the notion that the earth was the center of the universe wasn't based upon science- and science hadn't even been invented yet.

That is like saying that the stories in the Bible were once considered settled science......

So your thread just doesn't make any sense.

Except the notion that the earth was the center of the universe wasn't based upon science- and science hadn't even been invented yet.

That is like saying that the stories in the Bible were once considered settled science......

Science was invented a long time before Galileo. The ancient Greeks had scientists. So did the ancient Egyptians and the ancient Chinese. So you're making a very ignorant statement.

Science was invented a long time before Galileo. The ancient Greeks had scientists. So did the ancient Egyptians and the ancient Chinese. So you're making a very ignorant statement.

The scientific method was not invented until the 17th century. The concept of the earth being the center of the universe was a matter of faith based upon the Bible- not based upon science.

None of it will really matter when the Milky Way and Andromeda collide.

Where in the Bible does it say the earth is the center of the universe?

I’ll wait.

The scientific method was not invented until the 17th century. The concept of the earth being the center of the universe was a matter of faith based upon the Bible- not based upon science.

You're way off. The geocentric model of the universe was conceived by the Greeks Aristotle and Ptolemy. It was the dominant model from the 4th century BC until the 17th century AD.

The scientific method is also a toss-up between the Greeks and the Muslims.

https://explorable.com/history-of-the-scientific-method

I’ll wait.
My mistake- the Bible talks about the earth standing still but not that it is the center of the universe.

I’ll wait.
My mistake- the Bible talks about the earth standing still but not that it is the center of the universe.
God revealed, even before Man was advanced enough to understand, that the "earth hangs on nothing."

When I was a kid they said dinosaurs were reptiles. Now they tell us dinosaurs were the ancestors of birds.

They fired a professor for saying that polar bears are not an endangered species.

That's how you enforce "settled science."

I’ll wait.
I missed that part too. Fill us in.

...so that argument doesn't even make any sense.

Sorry - but still the Earth is the center of the universe. What was unknown - and what is still today for the most people unknown - is it that every point of the universe is always in the middle of the universe. When I heard this the first time my spontanous reaction was to say "typically god". Example: When you take a look in the universe, then you will see the universe expanding. (Indeed you will have to take this look with a lot of equipment and a lot of knowledge and the alternative could also be all particles shrink. But on reason of common sense we believe and trust in such informations from professional scientists, although "normal people" are not able to prove such informations). So wherever you are in the universe - you will be always in the middle. It will always expand from your point into all directions.

And if we live really in a Minkowski-space (That's what we call normally "spacetime") then you could fly through the whole universe and arrive again at the same point, where you had started - and you was on your way always only in the middle of the universe. Fine thing, isn't it? But because god loves it to smile, you will arrive before you had started to fly. Really: That's physics - not meta-physics. So in theory you could ask yourselve what had happened during this journey. But why to travel then? Life's a mystery, isn't it? Specially for cosmonauts too.

Keeps only the problem that the universe has in this case two different sizes for your younger I and your older I, if I see it the right way. Confusing. What a luck that I do not have to solve this problem. But I'm sure god made it the right way.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back