The Niihau Incident

namvet

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
across the pond
has to do with Pearl Harbor. the Japanese told their pilots if they can't make it back to the fleet to head for an uninhabited island called Niihau. land, and a sub would pick them up. they were attacked by US warplanes on their way back. this is about a zero pilot named Shigenori Nishikaichi who was forced to to fly to Niihau because of battle damage. including a punchered fuel tank. when he and another pilot arrived they were surpised to find the island was inhabited. by unfriendly natives who kept all foreigners out strickly taboo. known as the forbidden island
Niihau is the is the furthermost western island in the Hawaiian chain

33afg3d.jpg

story

The Niihau Incident

2z56g4i.jpg

to this day it is still the forbidden island

Very interesting! I remember the camouflaged oil towers and anti-aircraft emplacements in Southern California after WW2. The threat of Japanese invasion was taken very seriously.

The defending fighters based at Wheeler and other airfields.

Um, yeah ...go on.

got something to add speak up

The dismal fact is that there was no US fighter resistance.

Really? I guess you've never read too much history....not surprising really.... We had around 20 fighters get into the air, and two of them (Welch and Taylor) shot down at least 7 aircraft between them..

"As they climbed for altitude they ran into twelve Japanese Val dive bombers over the Marine air base at Ewa. Welch and Taylor began their attack immediately. On their first pass, machine guns blazing, each shot down a bomber. As Taylor zoomed up and over in his Tomahawk he saw an enemy bomber heading out to sea. He gave his P-40 full throttle and roared after it. Again his aim was good and the Val broke up before his eyes. In the meantime, Welch's plane had been hit and he dived into a protective cloud bank. The damage didn't seem too serious, so he flew out again--only to find himself on the tail of another Val . With only one gun now working, he nevertheless managed to send the bomber flaming into the sea."

Pearl Harbor, George Welch, Ken Taylor, Fritz Hebel

Forum List

Back