===the nhl is thinking about banning fighting in hockey games===

Hopefully, fans will still be fair game.........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcgivAeVlI4]Domi fights with a fan. - YouTube[/ame]

It would be back to clutch and grab New Jersey style Toro.

Nah. That didn't happen because of a lack of fighting. That happened because coaches figured out that they could do just enough hooking and grabbing without actually getting called, and it made the game awful.

When is the last time you saw a fight in international hockey?

Oh great, encourage it to become like soccer and replace fights with Nancy-boys pretending to be fouled or some shit. No thanks.

The neutral zone trap is a big reason they got rid of the two-line pass, which has increased the speed of the game...something else to consider with regards to the head injuries of late.

It would be back to clutch and grab New Jersey style Toro.

Nah. That didn't happen because of a lack of fighting. That happened because coaches figured out that they could do just enough hooking and grabbing without actually getting called, and it made the game awful.

When is the last time you saw a fight in international hockey?

I don't watch it much. The last few games. I like action. Can't help it. I hardly watched hockey during those clutch and grab years and they have teams playing the 1-3-1 trap now. OK, it's still better than advanced power curling or rubber bridge. :razz:

I'm an older man, I grew up on hockey and lost my front teeth when I was eleven.

I like hockey that way.
Oh great, encourage it to become like soccer and replace fights with Nancy-boys pretending to be fouled or some shit. No thanks.

Clearly you have not watched the Sedins in the playoffs. :razz:

I don't watch it much. The last few games. I like action. Can't help it. I hardly watched hockey during those clutch and grab years and they have teams playing the 1-3-1 trap now. OK, it's still better than advanced power curling or rubber bridge. :razz:

I'm an older man, I grew up on hockey and lost my front teeth when I was eleven.

I like hockey that way.

I stopped watching hockey during those years as well. It was horrible to watch. Plus, there are too many games. As I get older, I don't have time to follow 80+ games a year. The best season was the strike-shortened one back in the 90s when they only played 50 games. It would be better if they cut the season in half and played 40 games a year. That would make the games much more meaningful and interesting. But that will never happen.

However, I watched a lot of the playoffs last year. The game is much better as a viewing spectacle than a decade ago. Especially when you watch it on HDTV! HDTV is awesome!

I hope they get rid of it. There is no need for it in the game.

Nah its part of hockey, that would be like getting rid of tackling in the NFL and playing touch football instead, LAME!

:D

No, that would be like getting rid of hitting in hockey, not getting rid of fighting. A better analogy is getting rid of fighting in football, which of course, is not allowed. Fighting has as much use in hockey as it does in football. And football is a much more violent game than hockey.

I don't know about America, though I imagine it is no different, but there is no fighting in hockey for kids in Canada. They don't allow fighting until the juniors. Kids never fight yet the game is played. (Is fighting allowed in US college hockey?) It would be like allowing fighting in college and pro football, but banning it from Pop Warner all the way to high school.

Last edited:
I hope they get rid of it. There is no need for it in the game.

Nah its part of hockey, that would be like getting rid of tackling in the NFL and playing touch football instead, LAME!

No, that would be like getting rid of hitting in hockey, not getting rid of fighting. A better analogy is getting rid of fighting in football, which of course, is not allowed. Fighting has as much use in hockey as it does in football. And football is a much more violent game than hockey.

I don't know about America, though I imagine it is no different, but there is no fighting in hockey for kids in Canada. They don't allow fighting until the juniors. Kids never fight yet the game is played. (Is fighting allowed in US college hockey?) It would be like allowing fighting in college and pro football, but banning it from Pop Warner all the way to high school.

Fighting is part of hockey man. Its part of the sport and for good reason.

It has a huge use in hockey, without the fear of getting your block knocked off players will take more cheap shots and there will be even more injuries.

Just look at the rate of head injuries after they instituted the instigator penalty. Players felt more brazen because it was less likely there would be retaliation.

People may not like fighting but no one is forcing them to watch the hockey game or watch the fights when they happen.

It has a huge use in hockey, without the fear of getting your block knocked off players will take more cheap shots and there will be even more injuries.

Just look at the rate of head injuries after they instituted the instigator penalty. Players felt more brazen because it was less likely there would be retaliation.

People may not like fighting but no one is forcing them to watch the hockey game or watch the fights when they happen.

Fighting has nothing to do with hockey. It was about selling tickets. That's why it is in the sport. Go back and see how hockey used to be promoted 60-70 years ago. Owners put ads in newspapers about "Blood on the ice" and whether or not this team would get even with that team after a brawl. It is still there today because of the dinosaurs who like "old time hockey."

I think it turns off the marginal fan today. The diehard fan who complains that "fighting is part of the game" will go to the rink to watch anyways if it banned. But would a father who knows little about hockey be more likely to take his son and daughter to a game if fighting was disallowed? Probably.

In most hockey games played, fighting is banned. It is only at the higher levels - juniors and pros - is it allowed. And at the very highest level - international hockey - it is also banned.

Last edited:
I don't know about America, though I imagine it is no different, but there is no fighting in hockey for kids in Canada. .

At the kids level the fighting is restricted to their parents during games, practice, for no reason at all...sometimes to the death.

Agreed.

Fighting has nothing to do with hockey. It was about selling tickets. That's why it is in the sport. Go back and see how hockey used to be promoted 60-70 years ago. Owners put ads in newspapers about "Blood on the ice" and whether or not this team would get even with that team after a brawl. It is still there today because of the dinosaurs who like "old time hockey."

I think it turns off the marginal fan today. The diehard fan who complains that "fighting is part of the game" will go to the rink to watch anyways if it banned. But would a father who knows little about hockey be more likely to take his son and daughter to a game if fighting was disallowed? Probably.

In most hockey games played, fighting is banned. It is only at the higher levels - juniors and pros - is it allowed. And at the very highest level - international hockey - it is also banned.

I beg to disagree on the reasoning. It is multi-faceted Toro. I believe it was for the tickets because the people wouldn't buy tickets to watch figure skating with a hockey stick.

We called that hokey when I was growing up and walking on my skate guards for a mile to the rink because it was too cold to sit down, take off the boots, put on the skates (around the plastic covering the socks)...

And yes, we fought then too. No helmets. My first broken nose (on the ice ;) was when I was around eight.

They sell tickets to more people who want to see fighting than those who do not. You like TV.

I like watching it live. In White Rock I can reach both the NHL and Tier 1. They fight hard in both...

0.jpg

^ Serbia vs Lithuania btw. ;)

IMO the overall product is a lot better (and safer) when the possibility of fighting remains part of the game. The fact that I enjoy watching a good fight is merely a bonus and beside the point. If you eliminate fighting then the play itself becomes a lot chippier and the only way to retaliate is with cheap shots instead of simply dropping the gloves. If they did ban fighting, they'd also need to expand to international sized rinks to combat this effect, and what you'd be left with is international hockey which fuck'n blows compared to the NHL.

That's like trying to ban crashes in auto racing.

The only reason people watch hockey and NASCAR is for the fights and crashes.

My thoughts are I love hockey fights. They are exciting. However, they take away from the game, provide bad impression on children and confuse children!

However, my bloodlust takes over and I want them to keep it!

Forum List

Back