The next area of arrests: Cell Phones while driving...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, Jun 30, 2006.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Well im sure it won't stop with this "Research study." They'll keep pounding it down our throats till they pass law after law restricting cell phone use to the point that if a policemen pulls you over while talking on your phone, you can lose your license for a year and goto jail. But of course if we save 1 life its worth it even though it'll be ruining thousands of other people's lives. :rolleyes:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/14934246.htm

2. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,818
    I agree that driving while using a cell phone is hazardous - it distracts your attention more than any other device in the car. And that's true just as much for hands-free types as for regular types. IMHO a simple ticket is sufficient, like the one you'd get for speeding. No arrest necessary.

Do you have a reason to think various local government would push it to more than that?

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    the way they have attacked Drunken driving. Little by little drunken driving has become considered as bad as murder. IT comes with losing your license for a year and up to a year in jail for just being caught drunk driving, not actually injuring someone. That wouldnt be so bad but the legal limit for being drunk has gone down every year to the point where drinking couch syrup could make you legally DUI if pulled over.

When i see a headline that states "Cell-Phones as dangerous as drunk driving" thats the parallel i see them making in order to keep people in line. They even attack the hands free devices in there. Its a dangerous proposition because if a township or state thinks they can make money off of it, then they will do it and millions of drivers will be further hassled by government trying to make a buck by telling you what to do.

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    About time.:)

5. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Exactly what i mean. Once we Save the World from the horrors of cell phones its on the the next boogeyman the government can make a profit from. :rolleyes:

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Probably caffeine, the opiate of the working man.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You know what's worse than a woman on a cellphone doing 50 in the left lane?

A MAN on a cellphone doing 50 in the left lane and barely keeping his vehicle out of the retaining wall. Women are used to doing crap while they drive. This is uncharted territory for the guys.:laugh:

Anyhow, just about every time someone is in the passing lane impeding traffic (a supposed fineable offense), that person is yapping on the phone. It's a distraction for the driver, period.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Do you really have an objection to people not drinking and driving? Personally, I think if you drink, you shouldn't get behind the wheel. Now, I don't mean a guy having a beer or two, but I know if I've had more than one drink, I really am not as capable on the road. Why should someone who's been pounding down drinks and is dangerous enough to get behind the wheel not get arrested. Personally, I think we're far too lenient with drunks.

As for cell phones. As someone who is guilty as anyone of using her phone while driving...and I mean ALL the time, we all THINK we can drive using them. If you ask me, I can talk, drink coffee and put a new CD in the slot...all while driving. My husband might disagree that I am quite that good at multitasking.

And have you ever watched anyone ELSE while they're talking and driving?makes you start thinking about the possibilities of mounting a weapon on the front of your vehicle.

Truthfully, is it really a huge deal to use a hands free?

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Guess you missed his point about drinking and driving.

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Nope. :banana:

But I see you missed mine. Heh! Nothing unusual.