The Newspaper Business is Fading Away. Do We Care?

Indiana Oracle

The Truth is Hard to Find
Mar 17, 2009
NW Indiana
You may have noted that several newspapers have are either gone out of business or are in dire straits. The Chicago Tribune, New York Times, Los Angeles Times and San Francisco Chronicle are in trouble, the Chicago Sun Times is out of business as is the Rocky Mountain News. The Columbus Dispatch and many others are cutting cost by dropping Associated Press (AP) fees. There is more.

The newspaper business has been under subscriber pressure for some time due to the Internet. The industry has been insulated from market forces for an even longer period. Newspapers were “just there”.

It is unlikely those who stop publishing will come back. We are in the process of an economic reset whose roots reach back nearly 25 years.
So, big changes are coming, and we are likely to lose a large number of newspapers. Do we care?
Read the rest of this entry »

We only care if the government decides to bail them out with taxpayer money. Otherwise, no.

Wait a second... Aren't these left-wing liberal-fascist newspapers? BAIL-OUT TIME!

I do not care. I cancelled that libral rag they called a newspaper long time ago!

I like newspapers, but they are incredibly liberal. The Internet is killing them, along with the generally post-literate, "Idiocracy" world in which we live.

Times change, technology changes. Businesses can either adapt and change or fail. Well, that's how it used to work anyway.

Last edited:
I can't remember the last time I read a paper. No great loss as far as I'm concerned. The Internet has changed many things. The way we get our news is at the top of that list.

I'll admit to missing holding the paper, but they couldn't get it to me early enough for me to read before leaving for school. The articles I was most interested in, I'd read the night before. The local politico messes, well they are interesting, but frustrating. The newspapers just didn't seem to catch up with the times, meaning they would have to have switched from pretending little or no bias, to committing to a position so that the reader could decide which to buy, based upon their desire for balance or not.

I like newspapers, but they are incredibly liberal. The Internet is killing them, along with the generally post-literate, "Idiocracy" world in which we live.

Libral radio and libral newspapers.. Nobody want to hear or read that shit! :lol:

If the dems really cared about global warming they'd let the newspapers go out of business right ?

Nope, Ben Cardin has introduced a bill to let newspapers operate as non profit organizations, as long as they don't "endorse" political candidates, sooper......

Libral radio and libral newspapers.. Nobody want to hear or read that shit! :lol:

Um ... actually if it's only the liberal ones that are moving to the high tech era then that makes conservatives look like cavemen even more. The ones that are stopping their print versions are going all online, and the radio programs are not going away, they are moving to the internet to. It's called progress, as the media advances so to do the outlets, unless they are morons who like only having a few readers and listeners. So really, do you REALLY want to say it's only liberal media making the change?

At one point in history the news was disseminated by a town crier: a person who literally yelled throughout the town. This individual would ring a bell and then shout "Oyez, oyez, oyez!" or "Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye" and then announce the news of the day or issue royal proclamations.

When you have information technology rapidly developing at such a phenomenal rate as we've witnessed over the past several years, should be no surprise that newsprint would become obsolete just as quickly.

I've stopped reading newspapers a long time ago.

I'm sad in a way because I used to read 4-5 a day. But I don't read any anymore. I get all my news over the Internet.

Within a generation or two, there will be few newspapers left.

Um ... actually if it's only the liberal ones that are moving to the high tech era then that makes conservatives look like cavemen even more. The ones that are stopping their print versions are going all online, and the radio programs are not going away, they are moving to the internet to. It's called progress, as the media advances so to do the outlets, unless they are morons who like only having a few readers and listeners. So really, do you REALLY want to say it's only liberal media making the change?[/QUOTE]

I didn't say shit about "making the change" I said nobody want to hear their shit.. cept moonbats..

I still love reading a newspaper. There is something about holding it, reading it, folding it back. I always read the sports page first, then go back to read the first section, then the city/state, then the life style last.

My dad used to get the morning and evening edition of our town's paper, I would always read it after he got done with it. (PS, My dad was a voting delegate to the Republican Party, he didn't think newspapers were liberal rags)

Today killed time waiting for my daughter to get out of track practice reading the paper.

Oh, and she wants to be a journalist.

I still love reading a newspaper. There is something about holding it, reading it, folding it back. I always read the sports page first, then go back to read the first section, then the city/state, then the life style last.

My dad used to get the morning and evening edition of our town's paper, I would always read it after he got done with it. (PS, My dad was a voting delegate to the Republican Party, he didn't think newspapers were liberal rags)

Today killed time waiting for my daughter to get out of track practice reading the paper.

Oh, and she wants to be a journalist.

A woman that reads the sports page FIRST ?

That's hot !, i owe you a rep .... :cool:

Yes, the ink on paper journalism model is dying.

I care because so many people I know are journalists.

About twelve years ago, about the time I was founding Rosetta, I started warning my friends in that business that the internet was going to kill their industry.

Not one of them believed me. Many of them laughed at me to be honest

Most of them are no longer working for newpapers. I take no comfort knowing I was right.

Newpapers made their money from three revenue streams: classified advertisments, real estate ads and auto ads.

Even if the economy was strong, the net has been eroding those revenue streams and that erosion is only going to get worse.

It cost nothing (comparitive speaking) to publish a website.

It cost a fortune to pay for printing up and distributing a newspaper.

That is a DEAD INDUSTRY WALKING, folks.

Why should we CARE?

Because the internet has YET to figure out how to create a LOCAL NEWS website that pays enough to cover the local news, folks.

You can create a site that sells stuff (real estate cars or classified ads) with NO NEWS and do better than attempting to create one that cover the news and has those revenue streams.

It's not just the big papers, its all local weekly and daily newpapers which are basically doomed.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back