The NEW Texas Gun Laws.

Lookout

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2007
Two sayings are very prevalent in Texas..."GOD BLESS TEXAS" and "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS". Man I love living in this state.:razz:

The new law, the first bill Governor Rick Perry signed from the last session of the Legislature, now allows gun owners without a permit to carry a concealed gun both "to and from" their premises and their vehicles. Guns can be carried in cars with a few restrictions: They must be hidden from plain view, and the owner cannot be involved in criminal activity or a criminal street gang or otherwise prohibited by law from carrying a weapon.

In other words, if you're caught carrying a concealed pistol on the street and don't have a permit, tell the cop you're walking between your car and your home, either getting ready to travel somewhere or coming home. The burden now falls on the police officer to prove you are not really "traveling," which Dallas District Attorney Craig Watkins says is virtually impossible.

"If you read the new statute, it essentially does away with the concealed handgun law," Watkins says. As of September 1, his office no longer accepted most UCW (unlawfully carrying a weapon) charges that involved the "traveling" issue and dismissed pending cases.

"Actually we didn't really have a choice," Watkins says. "The law had changed, and some of the individuals could have fallen under the old statute, but it would be an unfair standard if we prosecuted them. And it's impossible now for us to prove those charges when we get them. Now it makes it the responsibility of the state to disprove that a person is on their way to or from their car, and that's pretty difficult to prove. It does a disservice to law enforcement. They have to prove this person was not on their way to somewhere. Why should they even bother [to arrest them]? I see it as a possibility for a lot of individuals with criminal intent to be carrying weapons."

The change has some police officers grumbling.

"It's insane," says one Dallas officer, who asked not to be named. "They basically destroyed the concealed gun law. We're letting drug dealers with Glocks under the seat go and say have a nice day. In the past we could have charged them at least with a weapons violation and confiscated the gun. Texas is wide open now. It's a huge story. This has just gone under everyone's radar."

Though felons are prohibited from carrying a concealed weapon, the officer says most police officers can't do thorough criminal background checks during traffic stops.

The officer says that Dallas patrol cops have received no information or training on the change in the law. A call to the Dallas police media office prompted puzzlement. "No one's told us," says Sergeant Gil Cerda. "We have yet to receive a legal briefing on that."

The Mesquite Police Department has informed its officers about the change, says a department spokesman, as has the Plano Police Department. Rick McDonald, public information officer for Plano, says that the change in the law may be more far-reaching than its supporters intended.

"It's a law for honest people and good citizens to stand their ground," McDonald says. "Now you can defend yourself in a carjacking. You don't have to retreat."

He says the Dallas Observer is the first media outlet to ask him about the change.

"Some of the smaller agencies may not know about this," McDonald says. Because Plano P.D. has an in-house lawyer who keeps officers up to speed on legal issues, most Plano officers have already had in-service training on this and other new laws, McDonald says. (The last session of the Texas Legislature was good for gun owners. The so-called "castle doctrine" was also modified and now gives citizens more leeway in the use of deadly force to protect one's home or place of business. It also limits the ability of criminals to sue for damages.)

"There's a lot more to this concealed weapon thing," McDonald says. "I work some off-duty at a church, and they have posted 'no gun' signs. A lot more employers need to be brought up to speed. I expect more employers and businesses to come out with rules" limiting possession of firearms on the premises.

Another unintended consequence, says McDonald, is the likelihood that more weapons, stuck in glove compartments or under seats, will be stolen from cars.

The ramifications will take a while to percolate through the system. But the bottom line is: "If you've got a car," says a Dallas officer, "you can carry a gun."

Of course, convincing a cop you were walking directly between your car and home when you're parked 20 miles from your house may be a stretch. Try telling them you're just extremely health-conscious.

:rofl: and the mark of progress in the 21st Century America is every nut can now carry concealed weapons. Imagine a future historian marking this momentous step forward in a future history book, 'In the year 2008AD Texas Governor Rick Perry signed during the last session of the Legislature, to allow gun owners without a permit to carry a concealed gun ...."

In terms of human progress, this ranks up there with the discovery of cures for cancer.....

:rofl: and the mark of progress in the 21st Century America is every nut can now carry concealed weapons. Imagine a future historian marking this momentous step forward in a future history book, 'In the year 2008AD Texas Governor Rick Perry signed during the last session of the Legislature, to allow gun owners without a permit to carry a concealed gun ...."

In terms of human progress, this ranks up there with the discovery of cures for cancer.....

Every nut could always carry a concealed weapon.

Now, every law abiding nut has the same legally protected right.

The reason I love Texas is that we absolutely KNOW without having to ask that most of the politically correct folly is for our amusement.

NO PRAYERS IN HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL GAMES: "yeah, yeah, yeah, Dear Lord.... please comfort the visiting team during the ass whoopin they are about to receive."

THE DEATH PENALTY IS CONTROVERSIAL: "yeah, yeah, yeah. Hey Earl, what time is it? Midnight? Plus One? Fahr it up..... [zzzzzt]" (Actually the sound is now the drugs being injected as the Chaplain intones.... "Look out Below")

Oh shut up.:rolleyes:

Great post pegwinn. And the next weirdo in a mall with a "troubled" past will be met with 500 rounds right back at him. Now that's justice served, Texas style.

People like midcan live their lives thinking the police will protect them when a little observation wouold show that without pure dumb luck, the police just pick up the pieces and comfort your grieving family with a teddy bear.

I REFUSE to be a victim if I have ANY say at all in the matter.

COme on down here and live, midcan. We'll cover your ass since you seem so unwilling. The strong have been carrying weak sisters like you since the birth of mankind.

People like midcan live their lives thinking the police will protect them when a little observation wouold show that without pure dumb luck, the police just pick up the pieces and comfort your grieving family with a teddy bear.

I REFUSE to be a victim if I have ANY say at all in the matter.

COme on down here and live, midcan. We'll cover your ass since you seem so unwilling. The strong have been carrying weak sisters like you since the birth of mankind.

Sorry Gunnyl...Not me! I will carry this, I will carry that, I will carry here, I will carry there, I will carry up, I will carry down, I will carryokee, I will carry on, but I will not carry Midcan or Taomon. If Either one was in the room with me when the shootin starts, I wouldn't even toss em a gun. I would be afraid it would be the same as surrender or arming the enemy.:rofl:

You guys are too funny. I have traveled through the worst parts of Philly, by bike, subway, and on foot. If I thought guns were everywhere, that would be scary. You probably have a better chance of being hit with a meteorite than using your 'courage supporting arsenal.' But sleep tight children, and make sure you don't shoot anyone after a nightmare Hillary is finally president. :rofl:

American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation. In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States. (Centers for Disease Control)

American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation. In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States. (Centers for Disease Control)

Evolution in action.

Or, other nations that simply don't allow but the barest fraction of thier citizens the right to bear arms.

In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States. (Centers for Disease Control)

Correction: In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, no children in Great Britain, no children in Germany, no children in France, no children in Canada, and no children in the United States.

Correction: In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, no children in Great Britain, no children in Germany, no children in France, no children in Canada, and no children in the United States.

Good point. A firearm is an inanimate object, but I think that people already understand that. It would be easier than to say that: In one year, in Japan, no one was killed through the use of a firearm. No children in Great Britain were killed through the use of a firearm...

People just don’t need everything to be spelled out for them in this fashion.

So that finger killed them huh! the power of imagination is even greater than I thought. But somethings wrong? I keep pointing my finger at this squirrel and nothing happens. Loki, tell me what I am doing wrong.

So that finger killed them huh! the power of imagination is even greater than I thought. But somethings wrong? I keep pointing my finger at this squirrel and nothing happens. Loki, tell me what I am doing wrong.

It is the use of a firearm that injures or kills. If you set a gun neatly in a calm house gently on a sound kitchen table, and not touch it, the gun does practically nothing. Therefore, in and of itself, a gun does nothing.

Knives don’t kill people either – by themselves.

Sounds like you have an "" I-DEE-TEN-TEE"" malfunction!

So that finger killed them huh!
Did I say this? I don't think I said this. Show me where I said this.

the power of imagination is even greater than I thought.
Ah. Perhaps you imagined I said "that finger killed them."

But somethings wrong? I keep pointing my finger at this squirrel and nothing happens.
Perhaps you also imagine you can kill a squirrel by pointing your finger at it?

Loki, tell me what I am doing wrong.
Perhaps you're trying kill a squirrel with an imaginary tool.

As has been pointed out a gun is incapable of killing anyone under most circumstances. People kill people etc. What a gun does is provide the average person with a remarkable increase in lethality. I have never fired a gun, the only gun I have even held is and non functioning family heirloom rifle. If you hand me a pistol I am still far more dangerous than I was unarmed, and quite a bit more dangerous than I would be with a simple edged weapon.

So while guns don't kill people, the brutal efficency with which they alow those weilding them to kill people is frightening.

You guys are too funny. I have traveled through the worst parts of Philly, by bike, subway, and on foot. If I thought guns were everywhere, that would be scary. You probably have a better chance of being hit with a meteorite than using your 'courage supporting arsenal.' But sleep tight children, and make sure you don't shoot anyone after a nightmare Hillary is finally president. :rofl:

Please don't confuse the issue of preference with ability. A gun does not provide courage. It puts one on an even plane more or less with the criminals who arm themselves with firearms.

Your second paragraph requires donning waders to read.

As has been pointed out a gun is incapable of killing anyone under most circumstances. People kill people etc. What a gun does is provide the average person with a remarkable increase in lethality. I have never fired a gun, the only gun I have even held is and non functioning family heirloom rifle. If you hand me a pistol I am still far more dangerous than I was unarmed, and quite a bit more dangerous than I would be with a simple edged weapon.

So while guns don't kill people, the brutal efficency with which they alow those weilding them to kill people is frightening.

Yeah, and it REALLY sucks when only the criminals posess that brutal efficiency.

Forum List

Back