The new T-bagger Congress

Boy, these new congressmen and women really have their priorities right. Cut food money from children and pregnant women, but appropriate money for azealies.

you have a link to back up your claims?

House Republicans Cut Food Assistance For Low-Income Families While Protecting Azaleas « The Fifth Column

Ok, as a die-hard liberal, this sort of stuff really gets to me. Does anyone in the GOP have a heart or even a conscious?

The Huffington Post
If you’re an azalea at the National Arboretum, you’re in luck — a Republican on the House Appropriations Committee is looking out for you. If you’re a woman, infant or child, however, you’re on your own.

Slipped into the FY 2012 agriculture appropriations bill that the House is expected to take up today is an unusual provision on page 13 requiring the National Arboretum to maintain a very specific portion of its azalea collection.

“The Committee directs the National Arboretum to maintain its National Boxwood Collection and the Glenn Dale Hillside portion of the Azalea Collection,” reads the bill. “The Committee encourages the National Arboretum to work collaboratively with supporters of the National Arboretum to raise additional funds to ensure the long-term viability of these and other important collections.”

While azaleas are being carefully tended to, the bill would cut $832 million from a program that provides food assistance to low-income mothers and children. The Center for Budget and Policy Priorities estimates that the reduction could result in as many as 475,000 people being turned away from the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) if food prices continue to rise.

You know what, you might have a real point if Congress cut $832 million in assistance and turned around and used it to protect Azaleas. It appears from your post that they directed the arboretum to maintain a collection and to work with supporters to raise the funds to do so. Words......nothing more. I'm not sure how these two items got connected in the first place. Oh wait, yes I do........a faux outrage political agenda.

I ain't "red", chiefy.

Right, the checks in the mail and you have integrity....

ROFL....

And nice try to deflect.

No deflection, sparky.

The instructions to the national arboretum are completely unrelated to the cuts in WIC assistance to illegal aliens.

There is no connection - just bullshit from the little Goebbels of the democratic party.

The self-styled “Tea Party” activists are perverse characters. They are stubborn, and, for the most part, stupid and small-minded. They have fixed opinions about everything (which, more often than not, are not right), and never change their mind about anything; for nothing can convince them that they are wrong. Their principal character traits are arrogance and intolerance. They are egocentric; they care not for the greater good, but only for themselves. Indeed, they would (if they could) have the world ordered to their own liking. They are greedy, stingy and meanspirited. They are inflexible; and, likewise, they never compromise, and always insist on having everything their way. There is no dealing with them. Such persons are stumbling blocks in the road of life, and are best avoided.

You are either a drooling imbecile or grossly misinformed.

or both

The self-styled “Tea Party” activists are perverse characters. They are stubborn, and, for the most part, stupid and small-minded. They have fixed opinions about everything (which, more often than not, are not right), and never change their mind about anything; for nothing can convince them that they are wrong. Their principal character traits are arrogance and intolerance. They are egocentric; they care not for the greater good, but only for themselves. Indeed, they would (if they could) have the world ordered to their own liking. They are greedy, stingy and meanspirited. They are inflexible; and, likewise, they never compromise, and always insist on having everything their way. There is no dealing with them. Such persons are stumbling blocks in the road of life, and are best avoided.

You are either a drooling imbecile or grossly misinformed.

or both

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't ask for spin. I asked for something that really matters. Expands unemployment benefits? How about creating jobs? All he has done is increase debt. Tax Credits? LMAO. He threw a pittance, even less than Bush had, and then cut funding to states so state taxes and passed on expenses more than ate up that pittance. No, I mean what has he really done that has actually helped the little guy?

What the fuck are you talking about. You asked a question..I provided you with several answers..and you moved the goal post.

And bear in mind..most of the crap that is slowing the economy down is coming from Republican obstructionism. They've said they wanted him to fail..and they are doing their darnest to make that dream a reality. From refusing stimulus money to actual BUILD things..to blocking every piece of legislation that comes down the pike.

It's an impossible situation..and yet..he's still trying to deal with it. Unlike someone like Palin who walked away.

Those are things you conservatives are good at..breaking stuff, complaining that it's broken and standing in the way of the fix.

I ain't "red", chiefy.

Right, the checks in the mail and you have integrity....

ROFL....

And nice try to deflect.

No deflection, sparky.

The instructions to the national arboretum are completely unrelated to the cuts in WIC assistance to illegal aliens.

There is no connection - just bullshit from the little Goebbels of the democratic party.

Hey..you're right. I am going to get checks in the mail. From my tenant. As of yesterday, I am a newly minted Landlord!!:lol:

Oh..and Illegal immigration went down during the Obama administration. Do keep up.

Red.

you have a link to back up your claims?

House Republicans Cut Food Assistance For Low-Income Families While Protecting Azaleas « The Fifth Column

Ok, as a die-hard liberal, this sort of stuff really gets to me. Does anyone in the GOP have a heart or even a conscious?

The Huffington Post
If you’re an azalea at the National Arboretum, you’re in luck — a Republican on the House Appropriations Committee is looking out for you. If you’re a woman, infant or child, however, you’re on your own.

Slipped into the FY 2012 agriculture appropriations bill that the House is expected to take up today is an unusual provision on page 13 requiring the National Arboretum to maintain a very specific portion of its azalea collection.

“The Committee directs the National Arboretum to maintain its National Boxwood Collection and the Glenn Dale Hillside portion of the Azalea Collection,” reads the bill. “The Committee encourages the National Arboretum to work collaboratively with supporters of the National Arboretum to raise additional funds to ensure the long-term viability of these and other important collections.”

While azaleas are being carefully tended to, the bill would cut $832 million from a program that provides food assistance to low-income mothers and children. The Center for Budget and Policy Priorities estimates that the reduction could result in as many as 475,000 people being turned away from the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) if food prices continue to rise.

You know what, you might have a real point if Congress cut $832 million in assistance and turned around and used it to protect Azaleas. It appears from your post that they directed the arboretum to maintain a collection and to work with supporters to raise the funds to do so. Words......nothing more. I'm not sure how these two items got connected in the first place. Oh wait, yes I do........a faux outrage political agenda.

Naw..the bill uses the money it cut to provide yet more tax cuts for wealthy people.

Now that's a good use.

In a pigs eye.:lol:

The Huffington Post

Naw..the bill uses the money it cut to provide yet more tax cuts for wealthy people.

Now that's a good use.

In a pigs eye.:lol:

So you agree that the author used a comparison of things that had absolutely nothing to do with one another. :clap2:

If the writer were in school and being graded, what grade would you give them?

Last edited:
I didn't ask for spin. I asked for something that really matters. Expands unemployment benefits? How about creating jobs? All he has done is increase debt. Tax Credits? LMAO. He threw a pittance, even less than Bush had, and then cut funding to states so state taxes and passed on expenses more than ate up that pittance. No, I mean what has he really done that has actually helped the little guy?

What the fuck are you talking about. You asked a question..I provided you with several answers..and you moved the goal post.

And bear in mind..most of the crap that is slowing the economy down is coming from Republican obstructionism. They've said they wanted him to fail..and they are doing their darnest to make that dream a reality. From refusing stimulus money to actual BUILD things..to blocking every piece of legislation that comes down the pike.

It's an impossible situation..and yet..he's still trying to deal with it. Unlike someone like Palin who walked away.

Those are things you conservatives are good at..breaking stuff, complaining that it's broken and standing in the way of the fix.

I'd say it was more like your punt fell short of the goal post. :eusa_whistle:

We have a record number of Americans recieving food stamps, thanx to aggressive recruitment of the FDA and the ineptness of Pelosi-Reid-Obama. I remember hearing 1 in 4 -- that would be incredible. So -- to support this burden right now, perhaps we should remind ourselves why we have both a food stamp program AND a WIC program (the one scheduled for cuts). I understand that baby formula IS ACTUALLY FOOD!!
Could be covered by the Food Stamp credit card right along with the Ho-Ho's and the beer. Or do leftists think that Grown Men should be fed separately from Women, Infants, Children?

And maybe we should be encouraging breast feeding anyway. I'm sure we're stealing valuable funds from these programs due to duplication and mismanagement. The justification is that the "admin costs" of WIC are waay too high.

Boy, these new congressmen and women really have their priorities right. Cut food money from children and pregnant women, but appropriate money for azealies.

I prefer azealies, to people with geraniums in their craniums.
Dont tell me about WIC and what those people are buying with there cash.
I know, I see it daily.

Does it hurt being as stupid as you?

I mean actual, physical pain?

He posts some of the funniest stuff I ever read. He doesn't think it's funny, but trust me, its a scream!

I was going to say this was the Stupidest Premise I have ever seen in a thread here. Then I saw Truth Matters Thread Blaming Republicans, and Only Republicans for Waste of Stimulus Funds.

That ones over the top.

Hold on folks, the republicans have put forward a proposal to help children and the poor in America after all they live in a nice bubble with nice pay and benefits. Surely people with so many perks in life think of others, it is the religious thing to do, isn't it?

'A Modest Republican Proposal'

For preventing the children of poor people in Christian America from being a burden to their parents or country, and for making them beneficial to the public and especially our sponsors the corporations.

It is a melancholy object to those who walk through this great nation or travel in the country, when they see the streets, the roads, and doors, crowded with beggars, followed by children, all in rags and importuning every cold hearted American rich person for a handout. These fathers/mothers, instead of being able to work for their honest livelihood, are forced to employ all their time in standing in line at the unemployment office, begging sustenance for their helpless children: who as they grow up either turn thieves for want of work, turn to communism or fascism, or even leave their dear native country.

I shall now therefore humbly propose my own thoughts, which I hope will not be liable to the least objection.

I have been assured by a very knowing conservatives, republicans, and libertarians of my acquaintance, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a stew.

I grant this food will be somewhat dear, and therefore very proper for the corporations, who, as they have already devoured most of the parents, seem to have the best title to the children.

I profess, in the sincerity of my heart, that I have not the least personal interest in endeavoring to promote this necessary work, having no other motive than the public good of my country, by advancing our trade, providing for infants, relieving the poor, and giving more pleasure to the rich. I have no children by which I can propose to get a single penny; the youngest being nine years old, and my wife past child-bearing. But given the current job situation and the surveys as noted in this thread, this solution will surely meet the moral and gluttonous tastes of all Conservative Americans. Thank you.

Apologies to Jonathan Swift Jonathan Swift - A Modest Proposal

UBI and the Flat Tax
What Should a Billionaire Give – and What Should You? - New York Times

"Nearly 13 million American children live in families with incomes below the federal poverty level, which is $20,000 a year for a family of four. The number of children living in poverty increased by more than 11 percent between 2000 and 2005. There are 1.3 million more children living in poverty today than in 2000, despite indications of economic recovery and growth." NCCP | Who are America’s Poor Children?

Last edited:
We everyday WORKING citizens have had to cut back, pay higher prices, go Unemployed. But for Liberals, why the hell should someone on Guberment assistance have to do a damn thing but keep right on sucking us into BANKRUPTCY.

But hey, they can crow about how Republicans, Conservatives, the Tea Party are EVIL EVIL EVIL..

We everyday WORKING citizens have had to cut back, pay higher prices, go Unemployed. But for Liberals, why the hell should someone on Guberment assistance have to do a damn thing but keep right on sucking us into BANKRUPTCY.

But hey, they can crow about how Republicans, Conservatives, the Tea Party are EVIL EVIL EVIL..
Liberal/Statists enjoy playing with the lives of others when their own lives are in such disarray...

I am dismayed by the attitude of our Republican friends on the issue of the national debt in this period of recovery from the longest recession since the great depression. What sense is it to cut spending when that is precisely what is needed to stimulate the economy? And to extend tax cuts for the wealthy while cutting benefits for the needy makes no sense at all. It represents a view that is both selfish and shortsighted - an attitude so prevalent among our policymakers today. To put the blame for our improvident spending on Social Security and Medicare only begs the question of our priorities. What else is the purpose of government but to provide for such things? To cut spending on these seems unworthy of the greatest nation of the world.

Whenever I find myself looking narrowly at some social welfare program, I think of the Preamble to the Constitution, which always puts my views in proper perspective. It is “We the People” - not me, me, me. Need must it be so, for the true greatness of a nation, and its moral progress, is not measured by its wealth or power, but by the manner in which it provides for the welfare of its people.

I am dismayed by the attitude of our Republican friends on the issue of the national debt in this period of recovery from the longest recession since the great depression. What sense is it to cut spending when that is precisely what is needed to stimulate the economy? And to extend tax cuts for the wealthy while cutting benefits for the needy makes no sense at all. It represents a view that is both selfish and shortsighted - an attitude so prevalent among our policymakers today. To put the blame for our improvident spending on Social Security and Medicare only begs the question of our priorities. What else is the purpose of government but to provide for such things? To cut spending on these seems unworthy of the greatest nation of the world.

Whenever I find myself looking narrowly at some social welfare program, I think of the Preamble to the Constitution, which always puts my views in proper perspective. It is “We the People” - not me, me, me. Need must it be so, for the true greatness of a nation, and its moral progress, is not measured by its wealth or power, but by the manner in which it provides for the welfare of its people.

sheesh, so WE WORKING people should WORK our asses off to TRY and take of OUR FAMILIES, and EVERYONE else who don't feel LIKE going out to work...people came to the United States and fought and DIED to BE FREE to CARE FOR THEMSELVES .

It is not just a matter of working; but rather the acknowledgment of basic human rights. See “Harvest of Shame,” CBS Reports, Edward R. Murrow, Correspondent (Nov. 1960). Human rights don’t exist in a vacuum; but only within the framework of established social structure. What sort of society can exist without social welfare programs? And, without taxes, how are such programs to be provided? Beyond this lies only the uncertainty of uncivilized life where there is no society, and life, as Hobbes put it, is "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short." Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan (1651).

Forum List

Back