The New Soviets

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by onedomino, Jan 13, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Very industrious of the new Soviets take time from selling nuke technology to the Iranians so they can transfer medium-range missiles to a terrorist state that harbors Iraqi Baathists and allows Saudi-Wahhabi murder money to flow to Iraq "insurgents." The new Soviets think they are better off allied with Damascus than with Washington. Perhaps we should sell medium-range missiles to the former Soviet captive state of Georgia. Having a good time in Chechnya, Putin? Expect no help from the US.

--

2. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Ouch, it might be time to unload my Russian stocks! (which, btw, have gone GANGBUSTERS over the last few years).

I can only imagine Putin approving of this transaction for two reasons. One, perhaps he's trying to win concessions from the Syrians for a pipeline deal. Two, he's looking for some quick cash.

If it's all about the money, I suggest that we offer him favorable economic terms on a future transaction equal to the profits his government might make on such a sale to Syria.

I have no doubt we could buy out the Syrians.

3. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hmmm....wonder if he's trying to provoke another cold war of sorts...I think he's hurt cause he feels we influenced the elections in Ukraine.. :bangheads

4. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    He has to be more shrewd than that. I think he's doing this to get some sort of concession from the U.S.

After all, what exactly would he gain from a U.S. embargo and heightened tensions with our forces. He's got no budget to rebuild his military, and certainly cannot ignore domestic rumblings from such an approach. I think he's looking for a payoff.

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    -
    All this time, I thought Breshnev was dead.

The Israelis may preemptively destroy the SS-26 missiles on the ground in Syria. What would constrain them? Russia? The UNSC? Amusing. Putin does not want US money this time. If so, why is the missile threat exposed in the press? Now, someone unnecessarily loses face if Putin gets bought out. Rather, Putin is arming a client that in the west borders Iraqi-American interests. Iran, another Russian client is in the east and an increasingly hostile Saudi Arabia is in the south.
    -

6. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I agree there is more than money at stake over this brinkmanship between US and Russian interests. As I pointed out in theory #1., there is also a national energy interest that drives this interest and whether or not a bribe from the USA could override such an arms sale, is up to how much we're willing to sacrifice in return.

Think about what kind of backroom concession from the US administration could reverse this sale... certainly we could offer enough to stop it. But certainly there is a price we won't pay, to preclude this sale, knowing that these missiles would not necessarily affect our military capability in the region.

But while we muse on that, here's an interesting article on the subject, in which future energy concerns drive the interests of the worlds major powers.

http://www.mideastinfo.com/library/cw-pressure.htm

I realize it's dated, but still provides some background to the situation Russia finds itself since the Iraq invasion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Now this:

Also: http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=317ade74-2778-48fb-aadb-1097788288b9

-

8. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    And now, the only thing to dwell upon is what kind of concession was made through the backdoor and outside of the media's prying eyes to so easily reverse Putins' decision on this matter.

Unfortunately, we can only speculate. :cof: