The New Racism: First you deny racism exists

“Whites are individuals” is a common argument brought up by White Americans. It is part of a set of closely related arguments:

• Whites are individuals. There are all kinds – bikers, soccer moms, coal miners, business men, goths, etc – so you cannot make general statements about them.
  • To make a general statement about Whites is itself racist. It is stereotyping them. It is hypocritical. It is seeing them according to skin colour and that is racist.
  • The “not all Whites” argument: “All Whites are not like that”. They bring this up even when no one said all Whites were anything. But that is how they heard it. It amounts a straw man argument.
These arguments seem to be driven by two things:

1. “Blacks are racist too.”
  2. They are uncomfortable with being called White because they have been taught not to be race conscious.
Just for the record, I do know that Whites are individuals. I live in America, a country that is mostly White: I work with them, they are on television and presented as individuals with their own storylines and not as racist stereotypes or even as too-good-to-be-true supporting characters.

On the other hand….

It does seem like most of them, like at least 60%, at least in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area, all went to the same Secret Course on Whiteness. They do act in certain common ways, ways that support racism.

And, based on comments on this blog, this stuff extends well beyond New York. In fact it seems to go clear across the country and into Canada, and, in a slightly different form, into Britain and South Africa.

I have never been to the Southside or Oakland, but they sound strangely familiar to me. Another sign that the racism of White people in New York is not just a New York thing.

And having seen the Maori in New Zealand and the Sioux in South Dakota, I know full well that this has surprisingly little to do with the faults of Blacks – or the Maoris or Sioux – and everything to do with how Whites are. Whites do not like to hear that, but that does not make it untrue.

And there is no way I can talk about Whites – or any subject – without making general statements. It would be nice if I could back them all up with studies, but this does not seem to be a well-studied field.

To say that every general statement about Whites is necessarily racist makes it impossible to talk about how racist they are!

The most maddening part is that in America it is Whites who draw the line between themselves and everyone else. They are the ones who apply the colour line and all the injustice that goes with it. They are making themselves White – and yet they do not want to be seen as White!

Colorblind Ideology Is a Form of Racism

Monnica T Williams Ph.D.
Culturally Speaking

At its face value, colorblindness seems like a good thing — really taking MLK seriously on his call to judge people on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. It focuses on commonalities between people, such as their shared humanity.

However, colorblindness alone is not sufficient to heal racial wounds on a national or personal level. It is only a half-measure that in the end operates as a form of racism.

Problems with the colorblind approach
Racism? Strong words, yes, but let's look the issue straight in its partially unseeing eye. In a colorblind society, White people, who are unlikely to experience disadvantages due to race, can effectively ignore racism in American life, justify the current social order, and feel more comfortable with their relatively privileged standing in society (Fryberg, 2010). Most minorities, however, who regularly encounter difficulties due to race, experience colorblind ideologies quite differently. Colorblindness creates a society that denies their negative racial experiences, rejects their cultural heritage, and invalidates their unique perspectives.

Let's break it down into simple terms: Color-Blind = "People of color — we don't see you (at least not that bad ‘colored' part)." As a person of color, I like who I am, and I don't want any aspect of that to be unseen or invisible. The need for colorblindness implies there is something shameful about the way God made me and the culture I was born into that we shouldn't talk about. Thus, colorblindness has helped make race into a taboo topic that polite people cannot openly discuss. And if you can't talk about it, you can't understand it, much less fix the racial problems that plague our society.

I thought racism required power and authority. Now you're telling us colorblind ideology is racism? Which is it going to be?

You've seen evidence of modern white racism and you still play ducking stupid. Grow up, man up, or shut up

Oh no no. It does exist! You prove it every day with every thread you start.

I’ll say what racism is not. It is not complaining about racism directed at blacks by whites. It is not the angry response to the built in disrespect of a persons humanity by the race that thinks they are superior either. It is not the animosity built up in those who have been the ones disrespected by the race that thinks they are superior. A lot of whites do not seem to understand what white racism has done and then want to quickly call racism the angry reaction, responses and animosity created by white racism.

Learn that. Because you're dumb. You haven't done the research to even know what I'm talking abut much less call something racist. You are unequipped for this kind of discussion but you get to run your mouth so you do. But opinion is not fact and what you call racism is not.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. [no kind of ignorant -- willful or circumstantial]
Harlan Ellison

I’ll say what racism is not. It is not complaining about racism directed at blacks by whites. It is not the angry response to the built in disrespect of a persons humanity by the race that thinks they are superior either. It is not the animosity built up in those who have been the ones disrespected by the race that thinks they are superior. A lot of whites do not seem to understand what white racism has done and then want to quickly call racism the angry reaction, responses and animosity created by white racism.

Learn that. Because you're dumb. You haven't done the research to even know what I'm talking abut much less call something racist. You are unequipped for this kind of discussion but you get to run your mouth so you do. But opinion is not fact and what you call racism is not.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. [no kind of ignorant -- willful or circumstantial]
Harlan Ellison
:blahblah:

Colour-blind racism (1970- ), also known as aversive racism, is racism that acts as if skin colour does not matter – even when it does. It is the most common form of racism among white Americans who grew up after the fall of Jim Crow in the 1960s. It takes the place of Jim Crow racism, the meaner, more naked white racism common in the 1950s and before.

Political correctness and the idea of hate speech grew out of colour-blind racism. So did the welfare queen and model minority stereotypes. It helped to spread the word “African American”.

Colour-blind racists say things like this:

• It’s not race, it’s economics …
  • It’s not race, it’s culture …
  • It’s not race, it depends on a person’s background …
  • I’m not prejudiced, but …
  • I’m not black, but …
  • One of my best friends is black.
  • My cousin married a black man.
  • I voted for Barack Obama.
  • I don’t see you as black.
And believe things like this:

• I am not racist.
  • Blacks are not willing to work hard.
  • Blacks want everything handed to them.
  • Blacks hold themselves back, not racism.
  • Blacks are unfairly favoured, whites are not.
  • Blacks do not want to live with us (or eat at our table).
  • Blacks live in the past. They need to get over it and move on.
  • Blacks need to pull themselves up from the bottom like everyone else.
  • Blacks cry racism for everything even though they are the racist ones.
Notice how white people never seem to do anything bad.

While they would agree with most of those statements, they would have a hard time saying them straight out like that. Race makes them uncomfortable. Their statements would be more long-winded and watered down, throwing in phrases like those from the first list, even the one about the cousin.

They seem to think that if they do not say the words then racism will somehow go away by magic. As if racism is just a matter of words.

They rarely think of themselves as “white” and avoid saying the word “black” in public, even when they are thinking it. Their supposed colour-blindness is a front.

For example, I have heard white people talk about someone who I knew had to be black just by the way they bent over backwards to avoid saying the word “black”. Yet when they left the room and thought I could not hear, they said “black” just as plain as day, as if they were talking about their dress.

They avoid the word “race” too. Instead they use words like “culture”, “background”, “ethnicity”. That is why they like the word “African American” so much: it seems colour-blind.

They are not as mean or violent as Jim Crow racists, nor do they wear their racism well. Unlike Jim Crow racists, they are willing to vote for a black man for president. But they still look down on blacks and still believe the stereotypes, adding some of their own.

They are not as colour-blind as they think. The only colour they are truly blind to is white.
Seems like you are saying that not being racist is racist!

:lol: I'm sure he is too!

Harlan Ellison

I hear you, sister! :gives:

Colour-blind racism (1970- ), also known as aversive racism, is racism that acts as if skin colour does not matter – even when it does. It is the most common form of racism among white Americans who grew up after the fall of Jim Crow in the 1960s. It takes the place of Jim Crow racism, the meaner, more naked white racism common in the 1950s and before.

Political correctness and the idea of hate speech grew out of colour-blind racism. So did the welfare queen and model minority stereotypes. It helped to spread the word “African American”.

• I’m not black, but …

• I am not racist.

While they would agree with most of those statements, they would have a hard time saying them straight out like that. Race makes them uncomfortable. Their statements would be more long-winded and watered down, throwing in phrases like those from the first list, even the one about the cousin.

They seem to think that if they do not say the words then racism will somehow go away by magic. As if racism is just a matter of words.

They rarely think of themselves as “white” and avoid saying the word “black” in public, even when they are thinking it. Their supposed colour-blindness is a front.

For example, I have heard white people talk about someone who I knew had to be black just by the way they bent over backwards to avoid saying the word “black”. Yet when they left the room and thought I could not hear, they said “black” just as plain as day, as if they were talking about their dress.

They avoid the word “race” too. Instead they use words like “culture”, “background”, “ethnicity”. That is why they like the word “African American” so much: it seems colour-blind.

They are not as mean or violent as Jim Crow racists, nor do they wear their racism well. Unlike Jim Crow racists, they are willing to vote for a black man for president. But they still look down on blacks and still believe the stereotypes, adding some of their own.

They are not as colour-blind as they think. The only colour they are truly blind to is white.
Seems like you are saying that not being racist is racist!

If that's what you see, get your eyes checked.

Harlan Ellison

If you don't give a fuck, why are you posting? To show me you don't give a fuck? And what's that supposed to do to me?

The racists in his thread keep taking about how things are in the past. But you see, we're here in 2018 and as we see by the existence of these many treads in this section it is not. Racism is done differently today. These guys seem to think that because we do not se no blacks allowed signs thy can lie and make claims. But todays racism is based on several things. A lie of being colorblind or race neutral, individualism and

"For these anti-anti-racists, accusations of racism are a greater concern than actual discrimination and prejudice against blacks and other minorities. It's not that they support racism, but that they see it as largely irrelevant to contemporary life. Any problems with minority communities, in their eyes, have more to do with cultural dysfunction, not racial inequality. Moreover, if there's a racial problem in America, it's not against minorities, it's against whites: “Caucasian is not one of the colors getting helped,” said Fox contributor Todd Starnes, attacking the president's My Brother's Keeper initiative.

As rhetoric, anti-anti-racism is popular in the conservative movement. You saw it in
Andrew Breitbart's obsession with ACORN and Shirley Sherrod and Fox News' obsession with the New Black Panthers, and you see it in some attacks on Attorney General Eric Holder, alleging discrimination against whites."-Jamelle Bouie

The New Racism: First you deny racism exists.

Bullshit, the new racism is the same old democrat crap. The plantation masters have been replaced by politicians and the chains, with the eternal victim-hood being sold to minorities by commiecrats.

The bottom line is minorities need to decide their own destiny, instead of relying on white politicians to tell them what they're capable of. Minorities have held virtually every powerful lever of government, they've seen what's possible, it's time to tell the masters to shove it and take your own path.

Harlan Ellison

If you don't give a fuck, why are you posting? To show me you don't give a fuck? And what's that supposed to do to me?

To show you that you are an asshole, and that is why people don't like you. It's not because you're black, or old or stupid. It's because you are an asshole.

The racists in his thread keep taking about how things are in the past. But you see, we're here in 2018 and as we see by the existence of these many treads in this section it is not. Racism is done differently today. These guys seem to think that because we do not se no blacks allowed signs thy can lie and make claims. But todays racism is based on several things. A lie of being colorblind or race neutral, individualism and

"For these anti-anti-racists, accusations of racism are a greater concern than actual discrimination and prejudice against blacks and other minorities. It's not that they support racism, but that they see it as largely irrelevant to contemporary life. Any problems with minority communities, in their eyes, have more to do with cultural dysfunction, not racial inequality. Moreover, if there's a racial problem in America, it's not against minorities, it's against whites: “Caucasian is not one of the colors getting helped,” said Fox contributor Todd Starnes, attacking the president's My Brother's Keeper initiative.

As rhetoric, anti-anti-racism is popular in the conservative movement. You saw it in
Andrew Breitbart's obsession with ACORN and Shirley Sherrod and Fox News' obsession with the New Black Panthers, and you see it in some attacks on Attorney General Eric Holder, alleging discrimination against whites."-Jamelle Bouie

The New Racism: First you deny racism exists.

Bullshit, the new racism is the same old democrat crap. The plantation masters have been replaced by politicians and the chains, with the eternal victim-hood being sold to minorities by commiecrats.

The bottom line is minorities need to decide their own destiny, instead of relying on white politicians to tell them what they're capable of. Minorities have held virtually every powerful lever of government, they've seen what's possible, it's time to tell the masters to shove it and take your own path.

More lunacy.

Harlan Ellison

To show you that you are an asshole, and that is why people don't like you. It's not because you're black, or old or stupid. It's because you are an asshole.

LOL! And who doesn't like me? You? A few other racists here I couldn't give a damn about? This ain't no dating website fool. I don't give a damn what you don't like. We are in the race and racism section of a forum, you and others here are racists, so you get my worst side.

• I’m not black, but …

• I am not racist.

Sure would be nice to acknowledge the where and who you plagiarized this from...

Monnica T WilliaCulturally Speaking
At its face value, colorblindness seems like a good thing — really taking MLK seriously on his call to judge people on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. It focuses on commonalities between people, such as their shared humanity.

However, colorblindness alone is not sufficient to heal racial wounds on a national or personal level. It is only a half-measure that in the end operates as a form of racism.

Problems with the colorblind approach
Racism? Strong words, yes, but let's look the issue straight in its partially unseeing eye. In a colorblind society, White people, who are unlikely to experience disadvantages due to race, can effectively ignore racism in American life, justify the current social order, and feel more comfortable with their relatively privileged standing in society (Fryberg, 2010). Most minorities, however, who regularly encounter difficulties due to race, experience colorblind ideologies quite differently. Colorblindness creates a society that denies their negative racial experiences, rejects their cultural heritage, and invalidates their unique perspectives.

Let's break it down into simple terms: Color-Blind = "People of color — we don't see you (at least not that bad ‘colored' part)." As a person of color, I like who I am, and I don't want any aspect of that to be unseen or invisible. The need for colorblindness implies there is something shameful about the way God made me and the culture I was born into that we shouldn't talk about. Thus, colorblindness has helped make race into a taboo topic that polite people cannot openly discuss. And if you can't talk about it, you can't understand it, much less fix the racial problems that plague our society.

I have noticed that most of the people who bring up the subject are Progressives and this seems to be on their mind a lot. I have never seen a Black guy bring up the subject except during a protest sponsered by a Progressive meeting or at planning meetings. E,t NAACP and and etc.

Why is it that you whites think you can tell me about what blacks do? I'm a Black and we most certainly do talk about this plenty. There are a lot of things w don't say to whites because if we did, the response you would probably give back would elicit a violent reaction and we'd end up in jail. So please quit thinking you can tell me what blacks do. If that's all you can do, don't reply.
ok so what in your opinion should whites do to correct the problem ??? and how can whites prove they are not racist ??

I am an American of northern European background and Roman Catholic heritage on both sides. My ties with the continent of Africa probably ended with Lucy. But I must recognize your point. I see a trend of simply denying that anything has ever gone wrong.

No group has ever done anything evil to another group of people, according to this fable, which says that there was never any slavery or Jim Crow, nor "sundown" towns, and certainly no lynchings, there was never any Holocaust and any organized effort to kill people for the crime of being Jewish (and of course, no reference to the lynching of Leo Frank), there has been, and is, no effort to enslave female people for purposes of sex entertainment and producing babies, there is no effort to exclude LGBT people from general society. According to this fantasy, the problems only originate with the choices made by people within their demographic group, even when those choices have been restricted by larger society. I do not wish to be part of this fantasy.

I am who I was born to be. The only task that I can see in my life is to live respectfully and lovingly among my sisters and my brothers. I can recognize human pain, even if this is experienced by another group. Read Toni Morrison. Look at people walking out of Syria with their relatives on their backs. People leaving Honduras with nothing. We all need to sit down and talk about just what it means to be a human being.

Last edited:
I renew my assertion the world would be a better place if the OP had been ripped out of the womb by Kermit Gosnell and eaten by a rat in the dumpster behind his "clinic".

Yawn. The usual racist white cowardly inability to face the truth about themselves.
that was a racist remark .....

It was also an uber stupid remark, but that's the baseline for the OP. It gets maxed out at "inane".

Harlan Ellison

LOL! And who doesn't like me? You? A few other racists here I couldn't give a damn about? This ain't no dating website fool. I don't give a damn what you don't like. We are in the race and racism section of a forum, you and others here are racists, so you get my worst side.

Who does like you would be the shorter list. You are a jerk.

Forum List

Back