Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
:banana: :eek2:

House hopeful tells the truth
Blanton, a therapist, reveals to Democrats his naked workshops

BY TYLER WHITLEY
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER May 9, 2006

Democrats in the 7th Congressional District will have to decide whether the naked truth is the best policy in a political campaign. :D

Brad Blanton has written to Democratic leaders in the sprawling district that he runs honesty workshops where people get naked and talk about their sexual histories.

Figuratively baring all in his letter, Blanton said there might be some who believe "I could be an embarrassment to the party."

Democrats in the district will meet in a convention Saturday to decide whether to nominate Blanton or to choose not to have a candidate. The district, which runs from the west end of Richmond northwest to Page County, is represented by Republican Eric I. Cantor of Henrico, who is the chief deputy whip in the House of Representatives. Cantor is seeking a fourth term.

"People are concerned because I have run workshop groups involving nudity, used profanity in my books, have a comedy routine about establishing a new religion, 'Futilitarianism,' and have been arrested a number of times," Blanton wrote in a letter to district leaders. The letter was first disclosed by the Culpeper Star-Exponent.

Blanton, a psychotherapist who lives in Page County, said he has been arrested several times for his participation in the civil-rights movement and anti-war protests.

As part of his work to bring out the truth in people, Blanton runs eight-day workshops called "The Course in Honesty." At $2,400 per person, a maximum of 16 people spend 8½ days together, "Telling the truth to each other," he explained. About five days into the workshop, "We all take off our clothes, stand up in front of the camera and the other naked people and talk about what we like and what we dislike or are ashamed of about our bodies. This is also videotaped. Then we tell the story of our sexual history."

The videotape is then erased.

Blanton added, "I think that what works well in our personal lives and in business can, and must, work as well in politics." If nominated, he said he plans to mount a grass-roots effort that includes walking through the district, from Stanley, in Page County, to Richmond.

Marjorie Clark, the district chairwoman, said: "We've known about this for some time. We'll see at the convention how it plays out. There are some who feel this doesn't represent the views of a majority of people in the district."

Blanton ran as an independent two years ago against Cantor, winning 24 percent of the vote.
http://timesdispatch.com/servlet/Sa...&cid=1137835948418&path=!news&s=1045855934842

Forum List

Back