The New Prince of Persia Trilogy

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I've been seeing this stuff advertised for some time, and I finally broke down and got the first two. For those who don't know, the new trilogy is "The Sands of Time," "Warrior Within," and "The Two Thrones."

So, I got "The Sands of Time" just recently and beat it tonight. I must say that it's AWESOME. It's a god 12+ hours of good, solid gameplay. It's definitely what a 3D platformer should be. You know you're having a good time when you look at what your character is doing and think 'wow.' I've also started on "Warrior Within," and it looks to be just as exciting as the first.

For those who missed the commercials, the main draw of "The Sands of Time" is time manipulation. The intro level is spend acquiring the Dagger of Time while taking over the Maharajah's palace in India. You are then tricked into using the Dagger to open the hourglass containing the Sands of Time, a cursed artifact that consumes all of those who are not protected. You, with the Dagger, the princess of India, with her amulet, and the Vizier (the traitor who helped your father take the palace and then tricked you into opening the hourglass), with his staff, are all protected. The rest have turned into monsters. To kill them, you must take their sand, charging up your dagger, which can later be used to reverse up to ten seconds of time (erasing a grave mistake), slow down time for ten seconds, freeze an enemy for ten seconds, or freeze all enemies for ten seconds. This means that if you fall during a jumping puzzle, just back up and try again, and if your guages are all full and you're desperate, just freeze time and kill everything.

The other draw is the incredible agility and acrobatic skill possessed by the prince. He can run up and along walls, jump a long way, bounce between two walls to climb, and swing like a gymnast on horizontal bars. He even incorporates it into his fighting style by vaulting over enemies and bouncing off walls.

These two elements, mixed with excellent level design, make "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" an excellent game of non-stop fun. If I didn't already have "Warrior Within," I'd probably play the whole thing again as a time attack.

Anybody else who has the full trilogy, feel free to add. I plan to post more when I beat the next two.

So far, with "Warrior Within," they've added updated combat dynamics, with two weapon fighting that's not limited to your main weapon and your finishing move (the Dagger). The plot is much darker, too, as opening the Sands of Time has unleashed the Dhaka, an immortal creature designed to protect the timeline. It is said, "Whoever opened the Sands of Time must die," and so far, you're still alive, so it hunts you, and you must go to the Island of Time to go back and preven the Sands from ever being made. After ten years of running from the thing, the prince has become callous and dark.

I never played any of the Prince of Persia games, but I always heard it was a really good game. I bought the new one, The Two Thrones this weekend. Its pretty cool, like Hobbit said alot of acrobatic stuff and some fighting, you can also do quick kills using stealth like in Tenchu. I haven't gotten far yet, but in this one you have a darker side, when you change into the Dark Prince you get a chain to swing around and maul enemies with or you can use it as a grappling hook when doing the acrobatic stuff. If I have any complaints its that the fighting is a little hard(maybe its just because I still suck at it) and there doesn't appear to be any way to replenish your health (as Light prince) except at save points. Dark prince can heal up when he kills anything but your health is always dropping.

I picked up Two Thrones today, but I haven't played it yet. I'm still trying to finish Warrior Within. Oh, and the fighting is always hard. However, if you get good at it, it looks REALLY cool.

So far, Warrior within is REALLY dark. It's depressing, full of despair, and, at times, really confusing. However, it is very cool and I can't wait to see how the Sands of Time trilogy ends. There's a catch to Warrior Within, though. I have access to the most powerful sword in the game. However, you can't put it back and possession of the sword changes the ending, so I'm doing without. I'm going to pick it up at the very end so I can see both endings without having to repeat 2 hours of gameplay, and after seeing the part of the game I'm in (health drains, but sand regenerates), I really don't want to relive it very soon.

Hobbit said:
I picked up Two Thrones today, but I haven't played it yet. I'm still trying to finish Warrior Within. Oh, and the fighting is always hard. However, if you get good at it, it looks REALLY cool.

So far, Warrior within is REALLY dark. It's depressing, full of despair, and, at times, really confusing. However, it is very cool and I can't wait to see how the Sands of Time trilogy ends. There's a catch to Warrior Within, though. I have access to the most powerful sword in the game. However, you can't put it back and possession of the sword changes the ending, so I'm doing without. I'm going to pick it up at the very end so I can see both endings without having to repeat 2 hours of gameplay, and after seeing the part of the game I'm in (health drains, but sand regenerates), I really don't want to relive it very soon.

didn't get to see both endings cus i din't get the good sword....got impatient trying to find all the life medals

Sounds a lot like Ninja Gaiden. That game was like crack, it was sooooo hard, it would piss me off for a good week, but I'd always come crawling back. I had to quit cold turkey when my roommate moved and took his X-BOX.

I'd definitely like to check out the older ones. Right now, I'm working on Silent Hill 2, which is pretty awesome, if you're into that kind of thing.

Dan said:
Sounds a lot like Ninja Gaiden. That game was like crack, it was sooooo hard, it would piss me off for a good week, but I'd always come crawling back. I had to quit cold turkey when my roommate moved and took his X-BOX.

I'd definitely like to check out the older ones. Right now, I'm working on Silent Hill 2, which is pretty awesome, if you're into that kind of thing.

Don't even get me started on Ninja Gaiden. As soon as I can get a hold of it for any appreciable period of time, it goes into my pit of evil games, a vile place where evil games that I have beaten are thrown. So far, I've got Eye of the Beholder (PC version), Syndicate, all three Super Star Wars games, Mylon's Secret Castle, and Adventure Island.

beat the Sands of Time, loved it. Two thrones looks amazing, never played the warrior within.

Dan said:

that game was sooooooooo hard.....i never did finish it....it stares at me from my book case calling my back.....

no ! you evil thing :lalala:

manu1959 said:
that game was sooooooooo hard.....i never did finish it....it stares at me from my book case calling my back.....

no ! you evil thing :lalala:

The only way to defeat an evil game is to actually defeat the game. I have, on my computer, a folder labelled "The Pit of Evil Games." All truly evil games are cast here once I finish them, and most of them are NES roms. They never beckon back, as I have defeated them.

Now, if you want something that makes Ninja Gaiden look like Pong with a paddle as tall as the screen, play Adventure Island I, or worse yet, Mylon's Secret Castle. I still haven't beaten that one.

Hobbit said:
The only way to defeat an evil game is to actually defeat the game. I have, on my computer, a folder labelled "The Pit of Evil Games." All truly evil games are cast here once I finish them, and most of them are NES roms. They never beckon back, as I have defeated them.

Now, if you want something that makes Ninja Gaiden look like Pong with a paddle as tall as the screen, play Adventure Island I, or worse yet, Mylon's Secret Castle. I still haven't beaten that one.

i am a xbox ps2 guy..... my pit of evil games is those i can not beat....late at night they becon me.......claaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

There's very little satisfaction in a little kid's life than finally beating an NES game that had kicked his ass for months, even years. I think we've all had that moment while we watch the super-crappy ending (let's face it, they were all bad back then), and we just flip off the screen.

Dan said:
There's very little satisfaction in a little kid's life than finally beating an NES game that had kicked his ass for months, even years. I think we've all had that moment while we watch the super-crappy ending (let's face it, they were all bad back then), and we just flip off the screen.

Check out the old PC game Syndicate. It's so hard, they didn't even include an ending. Beating the final level just gives you a "you beat this level" screen, and you have to be a trancendantly twitchy person to actually beat that level.

Forum List

Back